“Beautiful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Peekaboo Gulch

Peekaboo Gulch
Ranked #4 of 24 things to do in Escalante
More attraction details
Owner description: The gulch is most famous because of the last 100 meters, before the junction with Dry Fork of Coyote Gulch - here the ravine cuts deeper into the sandstone, with a series of interlinked potholes, extravagant swirls and fins of rock, and several arches; these different openings and the many corners and crevices account for the curious name of this canyon.
Oak Ridge
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hike was a little hard to find, but it was amazing otherwise. We went after rain, so there were a few puddles. The cairns leading to Spooky were hard to find, so even as close we were to arriving at spooky, we had to turn back so we wouldn't get lost looking for the next cairn. Peekaboo was very fun itself; you had to climb through and around and in shorter words, it is nature's obstacle course! You had to climb over a rock to get into it, and going solo might be a little risky.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank SumBug82

Terre Haute
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Worth the rough drive - Peekaboo, Spooky & Zebra slot canyons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

My son and I did Peekaboo, Spooky and Zebra in mid June. You can actually see the entrance to Peekaboo from the trailhead if you know what you're looking for. We had a blast twisting and turning through them. I hadn't realized Peekaboo keeps going and going. I was afraid I had missed a cairn after it opened up the first time but once we got to the end of the third narrows I saw where the trail went up to go over to Spooky. That was fairly easy to follow (missed a turn once). Once out of Spooky, I knew we needed to go back right but turned right too soon as it turned out. You need to head just a little left of straight into the larger wash which will then curve around to the right past the ridge in front of you. We followed the smaller wash to the right which had some obvious footpaths (with some cairns) and ended up coming to the middle of Peekaboo. Rather than go back into the top of Peekaboo, we followed Coyote Gulch to the left until we found a place we could climb down.

18 miles back up the road, Zebra was a nice 5 mile round trip walk though I'd do it first in the morning for better pics of it so you don't have much sun blowing out the top walls. The only reason we didn't was because the road was so rough I wanted to make sure I could make it to Peekaboo/Spooky the night we got there. It was easy to follow the trail until you branched right off the main wash. There were several trails after that but if you keep following the wash it will lead you right to the mouth. Sadly, Zebra is pretty short unless you have tech skills and equipment to get over the potholes. Happily, it's the most colorful and photogenic. The bird nest had eggs in it.

I think we took about 3 hours at each area.

5 Thank Michael R
Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“amazingly beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

we came in the evening so had the place to ourselves. this is a maical hike and i strongly recommend making the long journey down hole in the rock road to get here. a short hike that i will remember for a long time

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Charlie R
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 419 helpful votes
“Trickier than I expected.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband, two kids (ages 10 and 14) and I did Peekaboo a week ago(husband went on to do Spooky). We had a great time, though we ran into some surprises. Here are the most notable ones:

1) We were VERY pleased to see how well marked the trail was down to the wash. From reading previous postings, we were expecting it to be a bit of a headache to try and find the entrance to Peekaboo. Instead, we came down to the wash and there it was looking at us. It was almost too hard to believe! We heard people inside and knew we indeed found the place. From the parking lot, start at the trail head (there's a sign) and follow the cairns. There will be some smaller trails off of the major one, but stick to the major trail to get you to the bottom. When you reach the wash, Peekaboo is literally across it a hair to the left. Remember to look UP because it's a fifteen foot climb to get up into it so that you don't miss it.

2) We realized that we had to get from the parking lot down to the wash, but didn't realize that it's a good twenty minute or so hike to do so. For some reason, we thought you could throw a ball into the wash from the parking lot - that it would be that close. Instead, it's a bit of a hike - not hard, but certainly further than a ball's throw away.

3) Climbing up into Peekaboo vs. climbing down out of Peekaboo: Many folks in the postings stated over and over again about how difficult it is to climb back out of Peekaboo from the entrance. I actually found it easier climbing down the wall than climbing up the wall. Not being as limber as I was as a youngster, my kids had to drag me the final part into the canyon (thankfully, there wasn't any water at the top because I would have been face-first into it). There are handholds, which I wish they would have mentioned to help me, but at least I got up-HA! The kids and I came back through Peekaboo when we were done while my husband went on to Spooky. We waited up at the top of the wall in Peekaboo in the shade until he came around for us. In the meantime, we saw a grandmother scurry down the wall without a problem and two middle-aged men who had to be hauled up at the final part like I was into the canyon. Then there were those blasted college students who flew up the wall faster than I could say "boo".

4) Going through Peekaboo wasn't as easy as I expected. Again, I'm middle aged and not as limber as I once was so there is no doubt that didn't help me. However, it takes lots of twisting and turning to get through some of the tighter spaces. It also involves having to pull yourself up into places as well. Someone posted here that it's like a "playground for adults" and that's exactly what it is. It's not a simple "walk through", but more like a playground of having to climb, jump, scamper, twist and slide. It was also narrower than I expected.

5) If you're not young and agile, wear pants and a long sleeved shirt. Stupid me wore shorts and a tee shirt. Needless to say, I came out wearing a bandanna around my bleeding knee and bleeding from the one elbow after being banged up while making my way through. I'm now home and people ask me what happened. I have to tell them the truth, "I got beaten up by a slot canyon".

6) I was fearful that my kids would have problems getting through it. Wrong! Kids have no problems. They scamper through and have a great time. They may need some help from time to time, but they tend to do better than us adults - certainly those of us who aren't as flexible as we used to be.

With all of this said, I had a great time! It's a lot of fun and I would do it again in a second.

6 Thank GwenP
San Antonio, Texas
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“What fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

This slot canyon really lives up to it's name! It was really fun and a nice cool way to get out of the sun for a while. The road, Hole in the Road, is insane! Washboard surface unlike any I have ever experienced but well worth it! There were only a few people there so it felt like a private playground. The path is easy, but there is lots of sand which can get tedious and hot at times. Make sure you take lots of water and plan on going to at least Spooky Gulch also. Amazing!

1 Thank Joanna L