“Great for a big family”
Review of Wild West Retreat

Wild West Retreat
Ranked #4 of 9 Escalante B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Wild West Retreat was great. We stayed there while hiking in the area. I have 5 children, ages 6 to 16 and they all enjoyed it. Kid's loved the retreat, sleeping in a barn, playing in the hot tub, and playing with a pot bellied pig and friendly dog. They like exploring the property, riding bikes, and did I mention the hot tub?

Hosts were absolutely awesome. Helpful and accommodating in every way. We enjoyed getting to know them. I would recommend it as a great base camp to explore the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The food - country cookout specials of the West - is just great, and you won´t leave hungry for sure. And the best of it all: Shannon, the boss and his lovely wife, Jenifer. You´ll feel at home once you arrive. They will tell you all about Escalante and Southern Utah, where they were born and raised. They will treat you as friends and help you however they can. We know them for 10 years now and it´s a shame we never wrote a review about their place before. We visit the place for 10 years now bringing in groups of tourists from Europe travelling on Harleys through the Southwest. The cowboy dinner here always is a highlight of the tour. With a large group like ours we have to sleep at the Prospector Inn in Escalante. But with fewer people you can even rent a whole house at this place.
We´ll be back for sure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2012

When you are in Escalante you are 5 hours from an airport, 3 hours from a big grocery store, but right next door to amazing beauty. When you are done with your extreme adventure: Canyoneering, ATV-ing, or horseback riding you will need a retreat. Wild West Retreat is perfect. We stayed in The Barn which is more like a fantasy cottage. The full kitchen had milk, juice and breakfast supplies. With a bed in front of the fireplace, and a bed upstairs at the end of a catwalk The Barn is great for families or couples. The upstairs balcony overlooks the property, with farms and mountains all around.it feels like you're in a tree house. The front porch is a shady place for grilling or watching the hummingbirds. There's even a hot tub and a large open area with tables, perfect for parties or a family reunion. The Barn was spotless and full of country decor. Jennifer and Shannon were friendly and helpful. We will always be stating at Wild West Retreat when we venture to Escalante, Utah.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My family of 5 stayed in the Pioneer Home at the Wild West Retreat and had such a great time! We could not have asked for better hosts than Jennifer and Shannon and our kids just loved Hazard the dog. Jennifer was quite helpful with knowledge of the area and was incredibly gracious with anything we needed. The extremely clean house has 4 bedrooms (lots of warm bedding) and a complete kitchen and a wonderful wood stove. Next time we go to Utah we will stay there again - it was a wonderful time and I gladly recommend the Wild West Retreat to anyone looking for a comfortable place and excellent hosts.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I found the Wild West Retreat when a filled to capacity motel said, "there are no rooms in town for the Art Festival, but let me make a call." She called Shannon and Jenifer to discover that they had finished remodeling the "bunk house", ready just in time for me, the exhausted solo motorcyclist.
Shannon, met me in the darkened street and told me where to turn to park near the bunkhouse. He told me that there was no in room bath, but one was located across the orchard in another small building. The bathroom was excellent, complete with a hot shower and plenty of water and a wonderfully lit pathway. My bunk house was warm, comfortable and tidy.
As I settled in, I asked about food and was told most things were probably closed or closing and he, the most excellent host, brought me pizza, a home grown tomato and peach. I was in heaven.
I felt like family here, given a cup o' java in the morning, and plenty of chat. I even got to see a friend's photos of some local hiking and let me tell you the surrounding area is simply gorgeous!!
I'll be back next season, hopefully with my husband, but if not, I know I'll be staying with Shannon and Jenifer again in their warm safe cocoon. Thank you for a lovely time and even more lovely company!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2010

While the Wild West Retreat is technically located in a residential neighborhood, the old barn really feels private. The outside of the barn looks like it has been around a very long time, but the inside is a wonder of wood posts and heavy wood slab stairs. Even the doors are sturdy and unique wood construction with whimsical cutouts for light. As a woodworker, I was quite impressed with the custom cabinets, wood counter tops, and the use of old lumber in areas that must have been rebuilt.

We found the barn to be very clean, quiet, and comfortable. We spent a fair portion of our stay sitting out on the covered patio watching four hummingbirds fighting over the bird feeder. Unfortunately, the hot tub was not working during our stay, but we were in no way disappointed.

Bacon, Eggs, and other items were supplied in the refrigerator for us to make breakfast the following morning before we had to leave. A nice break from the toast and cereals at most of our lodgings.

The Wild West Retreat is a great place to stay if you're in the Escalante area!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Herhubby86
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We booked the retreat based on prior reviews of the barn, and they were absolutely right on! We stayed in the cabin, which is a converted hay barn, and the owners have created a beautiful ambiance in and around it that includes historic farm equipment, gorgeous rock and wood work, and an innovative use of space inside.

The breakfast was more than ample, and as was mentioned previously, we cooked it ourselves, which made the morning very relaxing. The bed was very comfortable, the drums were loved by the kids, and there is a decent selection of movies. Overall, this is somewhere that anyone who looks for a unique, relaxing and enjoyable stay in Escalante should try.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family