“Pioneer Home @ Wild West Retreat”
Review of Wild West Retreat

Wild West Retreat
Ranked #5 of 9 Escalante B&B and Inns
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Pioneer Home @ Wild West Retreat”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My family of 5 stayed in the Pioneer Home at the Wild West Retreat and had such a great time! We could not have asked for better hosts than Jennifer and Shannon and our kids just loved Hazard the dog. Jennifer was quite helpful with knowledge of the area and was incredibly gracious with anything we needed. The extremely clean house has 4 bedrooms (lots of warm bedding) and a complete kitchen and a wonderful wood stove. Next time we go to Utah we will stay there again - it was a wonderful time and I gladly recommend the Wild West Retreat to anyone looking for a comfortable place and excellent hosts.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed September 30, 2010

I found the Wild West Retreat when a filled to capacity motel said, "there are no rooms in town for the Art Festival, but let me make a call." She called Shannon and Jenifer to discover that they had finished remodeling the "bunk house", ready just in time for me, the exhausted solo motorcyclist.
Shannon, met me in the darkened street and told me where to turn to park near the bunkhouse. He told me that there was no in room bath, but one was located across the orchard in another small building. The bathroom was excellent, complete with a hot shower and plenty of water and a wonderfully lit pathway. My bunk house was warm, comfortable and tidy.
As I settled in, I asked about food and was told most things were probably closed or closing and he, the most excellent host, brought me pizza, a home grown tomato and peach. I was in heaven.
I felt like family here, given a cup o' java in the morning, and plenty of chat. I even got to see a friend's photos of some local hiking and let me tell you the surrounding area is simply gorgeous!!
I'll be back next season, hopefully with my husband, but if not, I know I'll be staying with Shannon and Jenifer again in their warm safe cocoon. Thank you for a lovely time and even more lovely company!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Camas, WA
Reviewed August 27, 2010

While the Wild West Retreat is technically located in a residential neighborhood, the old barn really feels private. The outside of the barn looks like it has been around a very long time, but the inside is a wonder of wood posts and heavy wood slab stairs. Even the doors are sturdy and unique wood construction with whimsical cutouts for light. As a woodworker, I was quite impressed with the custom cabinets, wood counter tops, and the use of old lumber in areas that must have been rebuilt.

We found the barn to be very clean, quiet, and comfortable. We spent a fair portion of our stay sitting out on the covered patio watching four hummingbirds fighting over the bird feeder. Unfortunately, the hot tub was not working during our stay, but we were in no way disappointed.

Bacon, Eggs, and other items were supplied in the refrigerator for us to make breakfast the following morning before we had to leave. A nice break from the toast and cereals at most of our lodgings.

The Wild West Retreat is a great place to stay if you're in the Escalante area!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Herhubby86
Southern Utah
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We booked the retreat based on prior reviews of the barn, and they were absolutely right on! We stayed in the cabin, which is a converted hay barn, and the owners have created a beautiful ambiance in and around it that includes historic farm equipment, gorgeous rock and wood work, and an innovative use of space inside.

The breakfast was more than ample, and as was mentioned previously, we cooked it ourselves, which made the morning very relaxing. The bed was very comfortable, the drums were loved by the kids, and there is a decent selection of movies. Overall, this is somewhere that anyone who looks for a unique, relaxing and enjoyable stay in Escalante should try.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Blegny, Belgium
Reviewed November 7, 2009

This old house has been renewed with a true western spirit; The external look is exceptional, and the interior is also valuable. One of my best surprises for a long time.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hillsdale, NJ
Reviewed August 19, 2009

During our 10 day visit in Utah our 2 days in Escalante were truly relaxing and unbelievably comfortable because of Jen and Shannon's hospitality. The renovated barn is a woodworker's dream. We loved using the grill one night, having a wonderful breakfast basket left in our kitchen to use during our stay and the HOT TUB! We hope to get back there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
UT
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Our stay at the Wild West Retreat was nothing but fantastic! The cabin is spotless and beautifully decorated. It is fully equiped with food and everything neccesary to cook a full course breakfast, movies to watch, a hot tub, king sized bed and futon, and great hosts, Shannon and Jenifer. I would recommend the Wild West to any one looking for a comfortable, family oriented, clean accomadation in southern UT. Make sure to take advantage of the yummy dutch oven dinners they offer, it was a perfect way to end a day of hiking. We will be back for sure!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escalante
Ticaboo Resort
Grand Staircase Resort of Escalante
Cowboy Country Inn
Cowboy Country Inn
#6 of 9 in Escalante

Been to Wild West Retreat? Share your experiences!