“Fam-5 @ Wolf Mountain”

Nordic Valley Ski Resort
Reviewed February 27, 2012

This was our third trip to Wolf Mountain in the past five years. We will continue to come back because of their 'mom-and-pop' setup, great prices/value for lift tix, gear and lessons and easy access from Ogden (where we typically stay, when we're in northern Utah).

If you want to visit an up-scale resort with high-end amenities (and the resulting high-end prices), then Wolf Mountain is probably not going to meet your expectations. But if you want a great place for you and your children (or grandchildren) to learn to ski, snow-board, grow their downhill skills, with great prices and probably the most hospitable instructor staff around, then you can't go wrong at Wolf Mountain.

My only complaint, if you want to call it a complaint, is slightly steep pricing for their food and drinks in the on-site cafe, BUT, you are allowed to bring your own food/drinks --- you just have to take them outside on one of the many picnic tables. The money you'll save on lift tix and ski/board gear at Wolf Mtn will MORE than offset the extra you might spend at their on-site cafe.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is a great place for newbies old or young! Also it is a great value. It is literally less than half of what other resorts charge and there are less people. The resort also has rentals available, granted not a great selection but still good for a smaller resort.

1  Thank mcoan2
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I have tried to visit as many different types of ski resorts throughout the country that I could manage in a short 5 year period. Since the time that I strapped on my first set of skis back in 2007, I have been to over 2 dozen winter resorts all over the west coast, all with different personalities and different strengths and weaknesses. The largest resort that I have been to is Whistler. Last month (January 2012) I visited Wolf Mountain in Eden, Utah... which will probably be the smallest ski resort that I will ever visit. It's mountain stats show 4 chair lifts, but in reality, it only really has 2 lifts. One that serves the beginners area and bunny hill, and one that is for the intermediate and advance skiers and boarders. Unfortunately for my group of friends and family, we arrive here in Utah at the tail end of the terrible drought of early 2012... almost no snow on the ground. I was skiing over tree roots and rocks most of the day. Also, the entire upper area of the mountain was closed due to the dry conditions, which made an already small resort into a very very tiny resort. I really can't blame the lack of snow on the ski resort, especially since I myself have released more than my fair share of green house gases throughout my life. I do think that the kind people here at Wolf Mountain are trying their best to make the best of a bad situation by spreading what little snow there is (they do make their own snow as well) over the bulk of the salvageable ski trails on the lower areas of the mountain. Now for the good news. Wolf Mountain turned out to be the near perfect place to break into a new winter sport. Although a lot more crowded that I had expected, it is still reasonably empty for a beginner to learn how to make their first turns on snow. The bunny hill is also wide and long enough with just the right slope to get you started on your new pastime. It doesn't hurt that the lift tickets are less than half of what you would normally pay at any other ski resort. Now that the snow is finally falling in Utah, Wolf Mountain can now truly be the best family oriented resort for the money.

1  Thank Gary W
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Wolf Mountain is lower altitude that the other ski resorts in the area, which means it usually opens later in the season and closes sooner than the others. It is small with only 2 beginner lifts and one main lift. The main Howling Wolf lift has decent runs, though. Quite a few blues and blacks to keep things interesting. They also have an awesome magic carpet to help the beginners up the mountain for the first time. We took my two youngest kids here to teach them to ski since it was easier than getting on a lift and cheaper. A great thing about Wolf Mountain is the price of the lift ticket. It is much cheaper than other resorts. The best deal is the Monday night ski pass for 4 people - only $40. That's $10 each!

Reviewed January 19, 2012

This resort is AWESOME for families, especially if the young ones are just beginning. It's small, so it's easy to keep tabs on everybody. I have two young children and one or the other always seems to fall or lose a ski on the way down. From anywhere on the beginner slope I can see the other. It seems to have just the right grade, not too intimidating for the little ones. The magic carpet and practically flat slope it services was a godsend when I was first teaching my kids. There's only one chair lift that goes to the advanced runs, so you know if you send the older kids up there that eventually they'll end up back at the barn at the bottom which houses the ticket sales, ski school, bathroom, food service, etc.. The terrain park is also fun for the older kids and right by the beginner slope if you're helping little ones. Being a small resort you're literally yards from your car. The resort is also really affordable so I can justify the lift ticket price knowing my kids won't hold-up for a whole day. If you're hard-core and want to get 30 runs in all different, maybe this isn't the resort for you, but for families and beginner and intermediate skiers it's great.