“Like staying with family!”

Flaming Gorge Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dutch John
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We came for the fishing, but stayed for the family like atmosphere!

My husband and I took a delayed honeymoon after getting married the weekend of Thanksgiving. We chose late January to visit Utah and spent 3 days and 2 nights in Dutch John.

My husband located the resort as he knew he wanted to fish the Green River near the dam. FGR is the first place that came up, and in typical man fashion, he booked! I must admit, prior to our arrival, I read some of the reviews on here and was a little bit nervous in regards to the accomodations. However, when we arrived early on a Saturday morning, we were greeted by the friendliest people we encountered our entire trip (we also visited Vegas, Provo, Salt Lake City, and the Grand Canyon).

I know many will visit in spring, summer & fall, but our winter visit was AMAZING! Snow covered the entire area, we saw so much wildlife, caught plenty of fish, and did so in what felt like our own little resort.

We stayed in the motel room and yes, the rooms are indeed basic. They feel like you're visiting grand-ma. It's apparent they take effort to make you feel welcome by the little amenities they place in your room (soaps, lotions, coffee, and even candies by the bed). Someone listed on here that the shower was small and I wanted to be sure to clarify that the shower is a standard size tub/shower combo. The bathroom may be a little cramped by today's modern standards, but I assure you, I've seen much smaller bathrooms in hotel rooms. The linens are clean and comfortable and there's a small heater that kept us warm. They warned us though that beause of where our room was located, and since we were the only guests staying on one particular night, that it could take a little while for the hot water heater to push hot water to us.

Every member of the staff here was friendly and helpful. Please be sure to eat at the cafe as they will impress you! We had three meals there, in the quaint setting near the fireplace and everything we tried was wonderful. As a Texas, I was even introduced to "fry sauce" which was neat.

Now, everyone does come for the fishing and I assure you it was amazing. We were warned that it wouldn't be as good as in the summer but for us, it was great! We still caught plenty of fish. If you opt for a guided fishing trip, ask for Kevin and tell him Misty & Adam from Texas sent you! :)

We definitely plan to come visit again soon! I loved visiting in the winter and would like to do that again but I'd also like to see this place in the spring/fall!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed in one of the condos which was showing its age but was large and comfortable. The view out the front was a large residential trailer park. The whole place seemed to cater for largely fishermen and hunters and we felt out of place. It felt a bit like a Butlins to us, which for British readers they'll know thats not a compliment. Overall, we thought it was massively overpriced. To be fair, I think we were just the wrong people in the wrong place because everyone else seemed to like it,

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cassady99
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed in the Motel room which is in the older buildings and room was large (for all our fishing stuff) and decent for the area (much better than the offering at TC in Dutch John). No AC, but did have a cooling fan system. The bathroom is very small with a very narrow shower (would be tough to accommodate someone 200 lb or larger). Housekeeping does a good job of detailing the room daily.

Room Tip: If you have basic needs like us with the plan to eat, fish and sleep, this is great. Get a suite fo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed in the Motel with 3 other guys during a fishing trip on the Green. We stayed in the first of the rooms on end, these must have been the ones they had recently refurbished. They were clean, painted, comfortable beds, decent TV. It was warm when we stayed there as well, and there is no A/C except for the fan in the room which was adequate when you opened up the windows to get the cool night air in. The only "knock" on the room is the size of the bathroom...VERY small and the shower head basically comes to your neck..but it was clean and functioned well. We had breakfast every day in the restaurant on site and it was excellent every day, good selection, good quality. We also had dinner 3 times as well..the service can be a little slow but it is very much a "homey" atmosphere. The beer was cold, the food was good and it was convenient. The general store on site is really pretty cool...good selection of sporting goods, flies, snacks and drinks. EVERYBODY at the resort was very nice..really enjoyed the people here! I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The Flaming Gorge Resort has condos and motel type rooms. We stayed in the motel room. The room was large and very clean. The motel was very quiet while we were there. We called ahead to let the front desk know that we were going to be arriving late. They opened the room and left the keys on the table for us.
There is a restaurant on the grounds. The food was good, but a bit pricey. There is not much around so it was worth it. There is a garage on the ground that rents rafts for a float trip. They tie the raft on the top of your vehicle and they will move your vehicle for a fee of $45.00. We enjoyed the float trip down Flaming Gorge. The red rock was very beautiful! Beautiful trip which lasted about 3 hours with stops. Many people were drift boat fishing there. We went on a Sat. in July and though it was crowded as we departed we had plenty of space to feel peaceful and to enjoy the scenery.The water is very cold, but no water got into our raft. Nice current class 1 or 2 mild rapids. Perfect for young children to experience rafting.

Room Tip: This is an older motel that has been updated and well cared for. This is not a fancy resort, but a v...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012

while on a roadtrip between Grand Teton and Denver I needed a place to stay. after driving a full day with a lot of stops for pictures I passed by this resort at 7 pm and last minute decision decided to ask for a hotelroom there.
the room was basic, but met my needs, however, stepping outdoors the view was pretty! the motel wing was far away from the campground, so a lot of lawn to space it and in spite of the busy holiday season it was quiet at night!
then they had fuel, a store and a restaurant all conveniently at that resort!
staff was very friendly indeed. especially as I unfortunately discovered late at night while at Winter Park, that I had left my safepac with in it some creditcards, my keys and also cash money-which was gone-in the room. they took the trouble of shipping it to me, for which kudos!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Simone194
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We made a last minute decision to visit the Flaming Gorge to fish the Green River and were able to get accommodations at the Flaming Gorge Resort, which was our second choice after the Red Canyon Lodge. It has basic motel style rooms (without air conditioning), which were adequate for an overnight stay, if you plan to spend the bulk of your time elsewhere (which we did). They have a well equipped store that includes a fly shop, and the restaurant serves hearty breakfasts and solid fare for other meals. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper level have good views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Flaming Gorge Resort? Share your experiences!