We came for the fishing, but stayed for the family like atmosphere!
My husband and I took a delayed honeymoon after getting married the weekend of Thanksgiving. We chose late January to visit Utah and spent 3 days and 2 nights in Dutch John.
My husband located the resort as he knew he wanted to fish the Green River near the dam. FGR is the first place that came up, and in typical man fashion, he booked! I must admit, prior to our arrival, I read some of the reviews on here and was a little bit nervous in regards to the accomodations. However, when we arrived early on a Saturday morning, we were greeted by the friendliest people we encountered our entire trip (we also visited Vegas, Provo, Salt Lake City, and the Grand Canyon).
I know many will visit in spring, summer & fall, but our winter visit was AMAZING! Snow covered the entire area, we saw so much wildlife, caught plenty of fish, and did so in what felt like our own little resort.
We stayed in the motel room and yes, the rooms are indeed basic. They feel like you're visiting grand-ma. It's apparent they take effort to make you feel welcome by the little amenities they place in your room (soaps, lotions, coffee, and even candies by the bed). Someone listed on here that the shower was small and I wanted to be sure to clarify that the shower is a standard size tub/shower combo. The bathroom may be a little cramped by today's modern standards, but I assure you, I've seen much smaller bathrooms in hotel rooms. The linens are clean and comfortable and there's a small heater that kept us warm. They warned us though that beause of where our room was located, and since we were the only guests staying on one particular night, that it could take a little while for the hot water heater to push hot water to us.
Every member of the staff here was friendly and helpful. Please be sure to eat at the cafe as they will impress you! We had three meals there, in the quaint setting near the fireplace and everything we tried was wonderful. As a Texas, I was even introduced to "fry sauce" which was neat.
Now, everyone does come for the fishing and I assure you it was amazing. We were warned that it wouldn't be as good as in the summer but for us, it was great! We still caught plenty of fish. If you opt for a guided fishing trip, ask for Kevin and tell him Misty & Adam from Texas sent you! :)
We definitely plan to come visit again soon! I loved visiting in the winter and would like to do that again but I'd also like to see this place in the spring/fall!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Flaming Gorge Resort offers the best options for Lodging and Accommodations around Flaming Gorge Reservoir, Green River Fly Fishing, Fly Fishing Guides, River Rafting and many more amazing activities in the local area surrounding Dutch John, Utah. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Flaming Gorge Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Flaming Gorge Hotel Dutch John
- Flaming Gorge Lodge
- Flaming Gorge Resort Utah/Dutch John