“Sushi Good, Service Bad”
Review of Sushi Ya

Sushi Ya
Ranked #16 of 53 Restaurants in Clearfield
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Glasgow, Montana
“Sushi Good, Service Bad”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The title says it all. The sushi was good, the goyza were good as well, however, the service was sub par. The restaurant was not very busy, plenty of empty tables, plenty of staff, however, we waited an extremely long time to get noticed, and an extremely long time to get waited on. Once our order was placed, we never saw our waiter again. Had to ask another wait staff for our bill and while waiting for it, watched another customer get up and take his order to the counter and asked them for service as well.

Again, the restaurant was not busy and they had more than enough staff to serve the customers that they did have. Would I go back? NO! Would I recommend this place to someone else? NO.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank B S

Layton, Utah
“Bad Service”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The person I was dining with had the All You Can Eat sushi lunch and I opted for the Bento lunch. First of all, the menu is wrong. It listed all the items available in the Bento, which included tempura veggies, teriyaki chicken, two kinds of shrimp, California Roll and rice. When my meal came, there was no shrimp. When I asked where it was I was told that it's not offered in the lunch Bento. So I guess they just print up one menu even though they don't serve the dishes the same way for lunch and dinner. The price was different than what was printed on the menu too ($9.99 compared to $11.95), but it was just annoying to not get what I thought I was getting. Also, the All You Can Eat lunch price is listed at $13.95, but my friend was charged almost $17. When she questioned it, she was given some vague answer about how she must have ordered something off the specialty menu, even though she didn't.
So those things were really annoying, but the food was good. The California Roll was fresh and delicious and the teriyaki was not overly strong. The rice was cooked well and just sticky enough to bind everything together. The miso soup was really good and there was an excellent dressing on the salad. However, the tempura veggies were borderline inedible. I have no idea what vegetable they even were, as they were totally unrecognizable and didn't taste like anything. My best guess is that it was eggplant or maybe zucchini, but they were sliced very thin and were limp and soggy from the grease. My friend seemed to be totally satisfied with all her choices from the all you can eat, so as far as I can tell, that part was good.
I would have rated the restaurant as "very good" had the service not been so awful. First of all, the menu discrepancies are just about inexcusable and shows management's lack of respect for their customers. But the wait staff was severely lacking in just about every way. We were brought water and the waiter asked if we wanted lemon. I said no and my friend said yes, then both came with lemon. We asked for straws, at least twice, and they were never brought. We asked for a replacement fork which was never brought. My friend was having the All You Can Eat Sushi and had to flag down a waiter every time she wanted more. When I asked about the missing shrimp from my dish, the waiter acted like I was stupid for asking. I can let one or two things go, but this was just too much to ignore.
It's also important to note that while it is all you can eat, if you don't finish what they bring you, you will be charged extra. So there's no room for ordering something just to try. If you don't like it, you're still paying for it. So it's all you can eat for one price, but only if you finish every bite.
As a final note, the place has no decor aside from a rock wall and a fish pond. The rest is just plain black walls and cheap tables and chairs. Even though most of what I ate was good, it was too expensive to justify the poor service and I will not be back.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Go2theZoo
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
“Westernized Sushi”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Place was almost empty yet the service was very slow. Food was descent. I and my friends had the eat all you can sushi. Some of sushi tasted alright, some pretty bad. You can tell that some of the sushi wasn't fresh because the rice was hard :(

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Kewihiku
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sushi ya served us bad fish”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

So me and my husband went here last week, and once we walked in we were smacked in the face with a bad fish smell. I'm guessing it was the koi pond they have by the door had not been cleaned. The whole restaurant smelled like it. It took a while for us to be served and it was not busy at all. We ordered 5 or 6 sushi rolls and some sashimi. My husband said later that the sashimi (which I had none of) tasted like it had gone bad. And later that night I threw up my whole dinner, again getting hit by that horrible smell, so apparently the sushi that I had was bad too. All in all it was a complete waste of $50. I doubt I'll ever go back again.

1 Thank Chelsey234
Houston, Texas
“Sushi Na”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Sushi-Ya appears to be a fairly new restuarant to the area. The decor is nice and new. Unfortunately it stops there. The sushi chefs at the the bar are dressed ghetto style, one by with an oversized wool cap and Black Keys T-shirt and the other with a backwards baseball cap and a camo green T-shirt that was thankfuly covered with an apron.. C'mon guys... have a little class and pride. Japanese Suishi chefs are always in proper dress. I had to sit a table so i was able to observe. The table service is horrible. They are completely overwhelmed. The environment is also loud and noisy There is no server-customer realtionship, no communication. I understand this is a different style of Sushi restaurant. One of the items I ordered was a Rainbow Roll, an item most Sushi patrons know well. When I was served I could identify every item except the Rainbow. I was told by the server ," We don't make it like other sushi joints". I replied, "Then you need to call it something else, because this is not a rainbow roll". The food was acceptable for the price. One does not get a check, one must walk up to the cashier and they ring you up, no opportunity to evaluate and tip your server, if you got lucky. There are way to many other options than to repeat a visit.

• Visited September 2012