“Should have looked at TripAdvisor before booking!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Foster's Bryce Canyon Motel

Foster's Bryce Canyon Motel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Bryce
Jacksonville, Alabama, United States
“Should have looked at TripAdvisor before booking!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was a last-minute booking, and in my rush to get a hotel I neglected to look up this hotel on Trip Advisor. Big mistake! To check in, I had to go to the very busy restaurant, where I was told that their computer had crashed, so they had no record of my reservation. They did have a room for me, but the whole process of checking in, with the line of restaurant patrons waiting to pay their bill behind me, felt very rushed. Next, the room was in a dorm-like hall, with an exterior door that slammed very loudly every time someone went through. There was also a large step up into the door, which my wife tripped on while entering with a load of stuff. Then the TV remote was missing, and so I called to ask about it. "We are very sorry, but something happened the other day and some of them got lost. I hope that is OK." I replied that, "No, it isn't OK." But there was apparently nothing I could do about it. Then the next morning, I went to the restaurant to get my "complimentary coffee," which was clearly promised to all hotel patrons on the website. I was told I should go to the store, which was also run by the hotel. The man at the store told me he would not give me any coffee. When I tried to explain that it was promised to me as a hotel guest, he replied that he "didn't want to hear my crap," and that he "didn't make enough money to listen to my complaints."
Needless to say, I will never, ever, ever stay here again. Nor eat at their restaurant, nor go to the store.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Stephen B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Hungarian first
Adams, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had made reservations for a one night stay here. We got there a few hours early. Driving up to it, I had a sinking feeling. Looked very shabby to me. I asked to see the room before we checked in. The gentleman we spoke with said we could look at the room but they had had a bus in the night before and the room 'may not be cleaned yet'. This was around noon or 12:30. We were directed to a building where all the room doors we open. No one had been cleaned or made up. There was trash on the floor in the entry way/room.
When we went back to the check in desk there was a different man there. I asked for the other person and he replied 'you're dealing with me now'. We did not take the room and went down the road to another hotel. Very uncomfortable experience

5 Thank Rebecca M
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Do not stay here if you can help it! It is tatty, rundown and grubby! We had nowhere to put our clothes, no drawers or coat hangers and when I asked for some I was told that I should have brought them with me!! We had a microwave in our room but it was too filthy to consider using and there were no tea/coffee making facilities. The room was dark and dingy with no bedside lighting. The bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable and everything felt damp. The worst thing about the place was the awful smell! We stayed for 3 nights, fortunately we were out and about most of the time as we certainly did not want to be in our room. On leaving we had to wash all our clothes before we could get rid of the dreadful smell of Fosters Motel!! The staff in the restaurant were friendly and tried their best to supply good service but were run off their feet trying to cover all customers. You will not get a hot meal in this place!

Room Tip: do not stay here!
3 Thank Suerym
Clyde
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Well where to start....very strange place, and I should have gone with my gut on this one....we were suppose to stay 3 nights but I just could not do it..we stayed one very long night..it is not like they haven't tried but their focus has been on the wrong things!! The little decorative pillows on the bed are lovely but the broken, dirty air conditioner is not!! Also still no remote for the tv, my husband asked about it and they said they were "on order" Really, how do you even buy a tv without one?? The bathroom was very nice, looks like recently redone, but sleeping area is neglected. No coffee maker, blow dryer or even Kleenex..Security was iffy at best..pd. $75.00 was $74.50 too much....Avoid if possible

3 Thank LindaClyde_NY
Haarlem, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was a bit scared because of the other reviews, and it was not good, but not as bad as I have read. Based on the reviews, I checked the room before accepting it. It's old, but our room was clean. Bathroom is pretty allright. We asked for a king bed, but got 2 queens. I did not want to change it altough they offered it as the room I checked was good. Fortunately the neighbours went to bed early, like us. The worst for me was the bed. I could not lay on my stomach because of the matrass springs. We left as early as we could. I would def recommend staying further away from Bryce in a better place for the same price.

Room Tip: Check your room. Some rooms have a microwave and / or fridge. Ours had a microwave. Don't pay ex...
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was dreading staying at Fosters Motel, however when booking our accommodation there were no other vacancies. And I wasn't disappointed, the reviews on trip advisor are right it is a terrible place to stay. I wish I had looked further afield, Tropic is only 10 miles from Bryce National Park and would have been more choice... The room overall was clean, sheets and towels thin and a forty wash grey colour. Heating system very dirty with a lot of muck/dust on vents. No drink making facilities, or hair dryer. Tv a very nice flat screen 17 inch but cable link was faulty. No bedside lamp, and main lamp so dull reading by it was impossible. Was given wifi details to log on but didn't work (if it doesn't work don't give this info to guests). Did not eat at Fosters ate each evening at Bryce Canyon Lodge, a bit pricey but worth it. Had breakfast at Clarks,Tropic (lovely) and at Bryce Canyon Pines (again recommended). The diner of fosters smelt awful as if it needs a 'deep clean'. I have stayed at worse places but not at £60 per night!!! Can highly recommend the scenic drive to Boulder on highway 12 taking in Kodachrome Park on the way it is spectacular.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank hikingheidi85
Idaho Falls, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Clean large room with a queen bed. Some recent remodeling was done to this room, but it wasn't completed. The shower was nice. However, the smoke detector was dangling from the ceiling, the light had no cover, one outlet was pulled out of the wall, and the phone line was cut. The advertisement promised a ironing board and iron, a blow dryer, cable TV with remote, none of which were present. The internet worked well.

• 2 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bryce
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel
#2 of 6 in Bryce
3.5 of 5 stars 445 reviews
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites-Bryce Valley
Bryce Pioneer Village

Been to Foster's Bryce Canyon Motel? Share your experiences!