“Don't miss Bryce Canyon Pines Pies”
Review of Bryce Canyon Pines

Bryce Canyon Pines
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bryce
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We stayed in two rooms mid August. Although the motel is dated, our rooms were quiet and clean. The restaurant serves diner type meals with a large selection of pies. Restaurant service was good considering how crowded the restaurant was. Try the chocolate cream pie!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank MichiganParkTraveler

Reviewed October 2, 2009

I don't understand the recent negative reviews. My husband and I stayed in one of their cottages, and it was clean, quiet & private. It looked liked it was recently renovated. Also their was a fabulous view of the sunset and terrain. The restaurant served excellent good home cooking. It was the perfect menu after a full day of hiking. We took a look at what could have been our other options within the park and I would still go back here. The hotels within the park are much more crowed and our location was only 5 mins from there. This is an excellent value and a perfect spot if you want peace and tranquility and great food!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank trekker1530
Reviewed September 30, 2009

After reading some very negative reviews, we were pretty concerned about staying here, but everything else in the area was full. What a pleasant surprise! Clean, comfortable rooms, with unusually good linens - thick fluffy towels and a comforter instead of a foam/ poly-whatever blanket. The restaurant offered basic comfort food and great pie.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank trinka1
Reviewed September 11, 2009

We have stayed here about three other times in the past three years. It always has been so clean and the people so friendly and helpful. They must have new management this year because when we checked in, it was none of the usual faces. We got our keys and went to our room. When we tried to get into the room, the door was deadlock bolted. We tried and tried to get in. Finally a man and woman came out laughing. They had employee shirts on. The man, who spoke broken english, said the room was ready. When we went inside it smelled like sweat and ... other things, there was pee on the seat. YUCK!!!! We went back to the office to check out, but the short woman at the desk was quite rude and told us that we would be charged for 2 of our 5 day stay because we had not given a 72 hour cancellation notice. We explained that the room was filthy and that there was pee on the toilet seat. She screamed at us and told us that she had personally checked that room, and would not give us another room. So we decided to stay for the 2 nights we had to pay for. Upon returning to our pig sty, we took the sheets and towels to the laundromat, and bought cleaning supplies to clean the room. I was gagging as I was cleaning the bath tub it smelled like dirty sour feet. The dust was so thick on everything that my kids had a great time writing their names in it. We decided it was time for dinner so we went to the nearby restaraunt. Low and behold our greeter was the man in our room that was locked in our room with the skinny woman. We just turned around and left. We thought our stay couldn't get any worse. We left the do not disturb sign on our door, when we came back from Bryce Canyon the next day there were two male maids in our room. I tried to tell them to leave we didn't want service. One with spikey hair said "No english" and proceeded to go on working. The other man left and returned with the manager. The manager, who was the same man that was locked in our room, introduced himself as "pascal" or something to that affect. I told him we didn't want service that the sign was on the door, so he told them in spanish to leave. We went inside and noticed that our things had been gone through. We could not wait to check out the next day. WE WILL NEVER BE RETURNING AGAIN!!! And don't try to speak with the front desk all they see is dollar signs, not people.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank jennyc67
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We booked the family unit which can accomodate six persons in a very comfortable way. It is an apartment featuring two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a large living room with an additional king size bed. It's worth the money you pay for it, and it's just few minutes drive far from Bryce NP entry. The restaurant offers very good food.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gian Luca B
Reviewed August 22, 2009

Room was OK. Remember this is back country and people who offer to attempt to serve the millions who come to this beautiful area should be commended. I would agree that the furnishings were dated, but clean. The restaurant was awesome with good food and good service. Much better than at Ruby's where the male waiter we had seemed like his heart was not into his job. The same for some of the younger wait staff at the national park lodges. As I was walking away after asking a receptionist what time the restaurant opened, I hear her say to her friend, 'Get me out of here, these people are driving me crazy"!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I was recommended to this Motel by another in the area that was full when I called a few days in advance of my arrival. I didn't check trip advisor to my dismay. As reported in other reviews here the room and location were satisfactory. Did not try the restaurant so I won't review. I booked one room, two guests, two nights and, as part of a package, booked two horseback rides. The room and trail rides were confirmed by email which was signed Mickey.

Upon check-in I was informed matter-of-factly by the clerk, Cheryl, that Mickey had not put our trail ride reservations on "the list". No apology no alternative offer, nothing. She explained that Mickey was seasonal help and had made many mistakes and was off for the next several days. She said mistakes happen and that's just tough. I explained that I was disappointed and asked if the Motel would offer anything to compensate for their mistake. She said she could not offer anything and that there was no one else there that could. After some discussion about who had hospitality experience, standard practices at other lodging establishments etc. She took back the keys to the room and told me to leave. At this time she involved a another somewhat squeamish young girl behind the counter to confirm that I was the one being unreasonable. At this point another guest waiting to check-in volunteered that in her opinion was that it was Cheryl that was being unreasonable. Not sure that I could find another vacancy any where nearby I convinced Cheryl to give me back the room at which time she offered $10 off the room for one night.

Now here is the rub, after check-in I reviewed trip advisor reports and saw a trend as you should be seeing now as well. Upon checkout I confirmed with Mickey, who was a delightful person to talk to on the phone and again the morning of check-out, that the Motel is a family run business. Mickey is not seasonal, but is the matriarch of the family. Probably the grandmother reference in other reviews. Cheryl and the squeamish young girl are apparently also family members, I suspect the daughter and granddaughter. I am not sure of what Mickey's culpability is but as for Cheryl, who appears to be the principal management, I contend a very dishonest and inhospitable behavior. And if she is the daughter of Mickey and mother of the "squeamish young girl" then it is absolutely abhorrent the way she referred to Mickey and involved her daughter in the contention.

Yes, all hospitality establishments make mistakes, but the good ones are at least cordial and generally offer something to offset for any inconvenience or reasonable dissatisfaction. This Motel is located near one of the most beautiful sights in the world, where most of the people you will meet are smiling, relaxed and enthralled with the ability to take time and view a wondrous landscape. The last thing anyone wants is a surly experience with a dishonest and apathetic Motel manager.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bitwaster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bryce
Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel
Grand Staircase Inn
Grand Staircase Inn
#1 of 1 in Cannonville
Bryce Pioneer Village

Been to Bryce Canyon Pines? Share your experiences!