“Beautiful lodging at Bryce Canyon NP”
Review of Bryce Canyon Pines

Bryce Canyon Pines
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bryce
Reviewed August 30, 2009

We booked the family unit which can accomodate six persons in a very comfortable way. It is an apartment featuring two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a large living room with an additional king size bed. It's worth the money you pay for it, and it's just few minutes drive far from Bryce NP entry. The restaurant offers very good food.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gian Luca B

Reviewed August 22, 2009

Room was OK. Remember this is back country and people who offer to attempt to serve the millions who come to this beautiful area should be commended. I would agree that the furnishings were dated, but clean. The restaurant was awesome with good food and good service. Much better than at Ruby's where the male waiter we had seemed like his heart was not into his job. The same for some of the younger wait staff at the national park lodges. As I was walking away after asking a receptionist what time the restaurant opened, I hear her say to her friend, 'Get me out of here, these people are driving me crazy"!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I was recommended to this Motel by another in the area that was full when I called a few days in advance of my arrival. I didn't check trip advisor to my dismay. As reported in other reviews here the room and location were satisfactory. Did not try the restaurant so I won't review. I booked one room, two guests, two nights and, as part of a package, booked two horseback rides. The room and trail rides were confirmed by email which was signed Mickey.

Upon check-in I was informed matter-of-factly by the clerk, Cheryl, that Mickey had not put our trail ride reservations on "the list". No apology no alternative offer, nothing. She explained that Mickey was seasonal help and had made many mistakes and was off for the next several days. She said mistakes happen and that's just tough. I explained that I was disappointed and asked if the Motel would offer anything to compensate for their mistake. She said she could not offer anything and that there was no one else there that could. After some discussion about who had hospitality experience, standard practices at other lodging establishments etc. She took back the keys to the room and told me to leave. At this time she involved a another somewhat squeamish young girl behind the counter to confirm that I was the one being unreasonable. At this point another guest waiting to check-in volunteered that in her opinion was that it was Cheryl that was being unreasonable. Not sure that I could find another vacancy any where nearby I convinced Cheryl to give me back the room at which time she offered $10 off the room for one night.

Now here is the rub, after check-in I reviewed trip advisor reports and saw a trend as you should be seeing now as well. Upon checkout I confirmed with Mickey, who was a delightful person to talk to on the phone and again the morning of check-out, that the Motel is a family run business. Mickey is not seasonal, but is the matriarch of the family. Probably the grandmother reference in other reviews. Cheryl and the squeamish young girl are apparently also family members, I suspect the daughter and granddaughter. I am not sure of what Mickey's culpability is but as for Cheryl, who appears to be the principal management, I contend a very dishonest and inhospitable behavior. And if she is the daughter of Mickey and mother of the "squeamish young girl" then it is absolutely abhorrent the way she referred to Mickey and involved her daughter in the contention.

Yes, all hospitality establishments make mistakes, but the good ones are at least cordial and generally offer something to offset for any inconvenience or reasonable dissatisfaction. This Motel is located near one of the most beautiful sights in the world, where most of the people you will meet are smiling, relaxed and enthralled with the ability to take time and view a wondrous landscape. The last thing anyone wants is a surly experience with a dishonest and apathetic Motel manager.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bitwaster
Reviewed July 13, 2009

After a couple nights camping with very little sleep thanks to noisy neighbors, we needed a quiet place to stay. The Lonely Planet review of Bryce Canyon Pines was pretty good and certainly better than the paper thin walls of the place close to the park's entrance. But this place was a massive mistake. We should have known the place was no good when we showed up at 5 and the room was still being cleaned. Settling into bed at 9:00 (I being six months pregnant btw, and my husband with a sinus infection - and we live on the east coast so our clocks were still two hours ahead), there was this crazy racket above our heads - people talking, dishes rattling and banging. We call the office before they close at 10:00 and complain, but they apparently do not do a thing as the racket continues. Finally, at 11:00 my husband goes to the restaurant two rooms away to ask them to keep it down. Now I can sleep through almost anything but this racket was too much. We did not fall asleep until after midnight. The noise resumed with full flavor at 6:30 in the morning.
The worst part in all this was the treatment by the manager the next day. We went to the office to complain and let her know we felt it was unacceptable. The woman mocked us - she even said "I wish I could go to bed at 10:45." I have never been treated like this by anyone in the hospitality industry. and I've stayed as some pretty budget places. Her attitude was so bad that when I discovered I left a favorite necklace on the night stand, I did not bother calling as I knew I would never get it back.

I would not even consider this place. Try the best western closer to the park entrance that was just complete. Anything has to be better than this dump and its rude management.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katealur
Reviewed July 6, 2009

The room I had was adequate but not great. The food in the restaurant was nothing special. The male waiter couldn't be bothered to serve me or aks me if I wanted more coffee. I was served by female waiting staff only. Are Mormon males not allowed to talk to solo women travellers or something? I expect this kind of behaviour in Saudi Arabia but not in the USA.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2009

We just returned from a 10 day trip to Utah parks, and followed many hints from tripadvisor.com on hotels and restaurants. We stayed last time at Ruby's and had bad memories of the food, so we tried this place this time. Was the second most expensive place on our trip ($95) and clearly the worst. The room was clean but outdated, the hotel was old, everything very basic. We would have felt fine if it were $50/night but felt ripped off at this rate.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jcrystal
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We found this place to be clean and quiet. Wish they had king sized beds, but the queen bed was comfortable. Pillows a little hard. It had been remodeled with new carpet and tub surround. The showerhead is way low for us tall people, and it was a bit claustrophobic because you couldn't see the ceiling of the shower and it felt like it was closer than it was.
We liked the fast and powerful heater in the shower/toilet area.

There was internet access and coffee in the lobby, but we didn't use either one. Our rate was around $109 a night with tax, which seemed high, but demand was high around the park this time of year....a lot of the closer hotels were sold out.

We were told by someone in the park that the restaurant had better food than some of the bigger hotels. We enjoyed two dinners and breakfasts there. Home cooking with local beers and wines. The pie was just so-so in our opinion....seemed like homemade crust with filling from a can? The homemade bread is awesome, and so was the trout. Service was great! Alfred took really good care of us.

It is a family run business, and overall it was a good stay. If they had a king sized bed, we'd stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ilive4sun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bryce
4 mi away
#3 of 5 in Tropic
Bryce Pioneer Village
13 mi away
Mountain Ridge Motel and Cabins

Been to Bryce Canyon Pines? Share your experiences!