“Unfriendly receptionist”

Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bryce
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I checked in on March 22, late in the evening after 6 hours of driving. The receptionist (an old lady) quickly gave a hotel map and marked me where to eat and where the room was. I was told that the resturant across the street is closing in 15 min. When my husband and my kid loaded the luggages in, I just quickly asked where the elevator was. That old lady receptionist asked me to bring back the map and circle the elevator to me. What's wrong to show the guest, or at least with a gesture that the elevator was just across the hallway? After we settled down with the luggage we launched out to the resturant. Perhaps my son crouched with no energy at all (we were very tired) that lady gave my son a very mean look. The whole arriving experience spoiled my stay.
So all the things in the room ticked me: the phone by the beds did not work. There was another phone on the desk, called for the waked up call but rang for few minutes but no one answered. The bathroom light was dim. The towels stinged. The beds and the pillows were too soft, I woke up with a neck pain. The breakfast room was crowded. Few things I would felt positive: the breakfast food was restocked very quickly, and the cleaning staff was polite; the younger receptionist at check out was patient.
It may be just me but I felt the most staff in the motel did not smile at all.

4  Thank Joey L
BryceCanyonGrand_mgr, Manager's Assistant at Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn't great. Since all of the restaurants in the area are either closed, or closing, by the time that you arrived, our front desk staff routinely ask if our guests have eaten dinner. If not, we direct them quickly to the restaurant before it closes. A night spent hungry can be a miserable experience, no matter what the quality of the accommodations.

Something that I can understand may seem odd, but we are encouraged not to 'point' to the elevators or other features, since it can come across as lazy or dismissive. I can only assume that is the reason the front desk staff person showed you on the map.

Regardless, you had a negative experience and that's not what we want for our guests. I will pass your comments on so that we can address how we come across in those situations during future training.

We do hope to have you visit again! If we can be of assistance in the future, please contact us at 435-834-5770.

Manager's Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (3,927)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

This place is the best of the Best Westerns we have stayed in. Nice room, great breakfast and welcoming staff. All they need is better in room coffee or the same nice coffee as at breakfast in the lobby.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BryceCanyonGrand_mgr, Manager's Assistant at Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for your comments, I'm glad you liked this Best Western Plus! I'll pass on your feedback on the coffee and see what we can do!

We appreciate your comments and hope to have you visit again! If we can be of assistance in the future, please contact us at 435-834-5770.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

This newer Best Western located just a mile from the main gate of Bryce Canyon, Utah, has done everything right. Rooms are spacious and immaculate. Check in and out is a breeze, and the staff make you believe that they are genuinely happy to have you.

The magnificent full breakfast is included in your room rate and is better in quality and quantity of choices than any that I have experienced in many years of traveling for both business and pleasure. Even the coffee was superb...and that is saying something when one thinks of what most motel coffee is like.

And, to top it off, there is one of the most magnificent scenery on the planet just a mile away!

2  Thank David L

I'm glad you felt we were happy to have you here, because we were! We're very eager to please and to share with others this area we live in. It is a uniquely beautiful place! Thank you for your review, you're welcome back anytime!

If we can be of assistance in the future, please contact us at 435-834-5770.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Best Western is not my favorite chain, because the quality can vary greatly between various properties. However, the Great Western Plus in Bryce Canyon was a good and comfortable as any hotel we have stayed at in the past few years. Everything about the room was up to date and working well. The breakfast was excellent, with numerous choices. There is no downside to staying here.

2  Thank SWNH

There is some variety in Best Westerns, but they did come up with a ranking system of amenities to help travelers. The Bryce Canyon Grand is a Plus hotel, which means it has to meet or exceed the strict standards of a minimum 3 diamond AAA rating. I'm glad that you were able to stay with us and hope that we were able to make a good Best Western impression on you.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, wish we had more time to spend at this location on our way back to Canada.. Rooms are clean,large and well furnished, noise was at a minimum on our floor.. Beds, large flat screen TV & WiFi worked well in the room. Washroom was well laid out with 2 sinks separate from the other facilities.
Free breakfast buffet was ample, included hot meal, cereals and fresh fruit if desired. Staff were attentive ensuring buffet was replenished as others arrived. This as one of the Best Western we have visited on our month journey.

1  Thank John P

We're glad you made Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand one of the stopping points on your month-long trip! Breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day, and we try to make sure all our guests have a good experience at our buffet.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night. No complains so far, our room is clean and free hot breakfast was the best, comparing to other hotels. Lots of room to sit for breakfast and staff are great. The only thing i did not like obout our room is the bedding. I just wish the sheets are softer. Love the four pillows and the lobby is great. I would difinitely recommend this hotel, even if the sorrounding hotel is a bit cheaper, i still think this hotel has the best value due to free hot breakast.

1  Thank staiger2012

Thank you for your review! The breakfast buffet is a huge draw for our hotel, saving money and starting out with a large variety of items is a good combination. I'm sorry the sheets weren't softer, as a result of guest feedback, we altered our laundering and it didn't turn out to be very popular. We've since corrected things and when you come again I'm sure they'll be softer.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a new Best Western Plus that has obviously been a great addition to a tourist town that has had very limited choices. The room was large, quiet, well-furnished, and clean. The beds were very comfortable. It is located only minutes from the park entrance. The included breakfast buffet was excellent and handled well despite a full house. The room rate is a bargain. No complaints about this place from me.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AZRPM

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to get you going with a good breakfast!

Manager's Assistant

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bryce
Best Western Plus Ruby's Inn
Mountain Ridge Motel and Cabins
Grand Staircase Inn
Grand Staircase Inn
#1 of 1 in Cannonville

Been to Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!