“A great place to stay near rock climbing and hiking.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Silver Fork Lodge

The Silver Fork Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brighton
Durham, North Carolina
“A great place to stay near rock climbing and hiking.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Silver Fork Lodge is quaint, rustic and a great value. Breakfast is included and is fabulous! Better yet, the staff is amazing. Beth rocks the restaurant and Jake knows his stuff when if comes to recommending hikes and rock climbing areas. Every person we encountered was friendly and helpful.

A fun place from which to launch for great rock climbing and hiking.

Room Tip: Navajo. Although it's the first room and you do hear everyone coming in and out.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DebLovig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
St. Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Preface - We did not stay at the lodge but wish we had. We had dinner there and found it to be amazingly good. They made us feel comfortable from the minute we arrived. Great beer and wine list and the pepper steak was cooked to perfection. My wife's salmon and the kids' brisket and fish were equally good. Very attentive wait staff (so much so that within minutes of sitting down, not one, but two servers asked to take our order, and joked with each other about it). Fantastic, right out of the oven homemade bread. Great ambiance, including a view of the mountains and a roaring genuine fireplace. I'd go back in a heartbeat, the only difference being that this time I would stay there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights and we loved this place. It has a cottage feel - there was a wood fire in the dining room, the beds were high and the rooms were furnished in old school wooden draws (like grandma furniture).

Breakfast was included and the servings were massive (for us it was massive as we are from Australia). We had dinner here almost every night and I know alot of pple say the food is expensive but it was similar to Sydney prices (with our dollar on par). I have no complaints about the food. We LOVED the sourdough bread... it was heavenly. Once again the food servings are massive and we rarely finished our meal.

Room
The rooms were a little cozy but we managed and the bathroom was spacious.
The shower had good pressure and there was plenty of hot water.
There is a heater in each room
No TV in the bedrooms
There is alot of blankets so you will never be cold!

Facilities
We used the hot tub once and the staff member helped us remove the lid. There was also a sauna but we had to fill up an empty sports bottle using the bathroom waterto splash water onto the hot stones, there was no bucket and scoop. Maybe there was but we didnt ask.
The entertainment room is no longer an entertainment room
There is a TV room downstairs and its a nice little area to read a book. They have books available for you to read and a limited game selection (I think I saw cards and a chess set)
THe internet is a hit and miss... my iphone never had any connection but the laptop did sometimes.

We had an early checkin (like really early and since the room was vacant they let us in). We also asked for a late check out and that was not a problem for them. All the staff were so accomodating.
The staff were ever so friendly and helpful. They made my stay memorable thank you Brandon, Kassie, Jo, Barbara, Jason and all the other staff members behind the scenes.

Room Tip: All the rooms and bathroom are very similar in quality and size. The only difference is the colour o...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank upupherewego
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We went to Silver Fork for a spontaneous birthday celebration right before the season changed to "busy" (fall to winter). We got a special deal on the room, which was very quaint and cozy (this is why I rated the deal as very good, I would not pay the full rate to stay here). As far as we could tell, there was only one other couple staying at the Inn. This was a good thing because the walls are thin and you can hear every foot step in the rustic building! We had a good stay overall. The staff was friendly and we had a private soak in the hot tub in the morning. The server we had in the restaurant at dinner seemed new and/or inexperienced. The breakfast was much better for food quality and table service.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sueskisitall
Holladay, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

This was my second time to Silver Fork. This time I took my wife for her birthday. Honestly I could cook better food for about 40 bucks less than we paid. My steak was not very good and my wife's pasta was not good at all. Our waiter never got us refills on our drinks and never even offered. He was too busy for us. The guest should not have to ask for a drink refill. The scenery is the only thing going for this place. Way too much money for mediocre food.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank FeteFete
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

We came in from Tampa and we were so impressed with the staff and this great place. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

After missing a trip due to a militaqry recall, i was fortunate enough to make it back to the Silver Fork in Brighton for a stellar 5 day board/ski trip. As the title indicates, this review is about improving on perfection. I have found that in life, the good things just dont seem to last. Not the case with the Silver Fork. This was my (I may have lost count) fourth or fifth stay and and it just keeps getting better! Please take a look at my review from 2009 and you will see what the base is to the Silver Fork experience. The outstanding value remains with a breakfast that remains the best I have had, ever! The lodge still maintains the policy of providing complimentary shuttle service to Solitude and Brighton resorts. As mentioned before, this eliminates any need for a rental vehicle. My ski bud and I had a daily regimen of enjoying the breakfast and getting a shuttle up to Brighton. After a full day of riding/skiing, a simple call to the lodge for a ride and we would be back down to the lodge in the late afternoon. As the owner, Dan Knopp paid a close attention to detail by insuring that the out door hot tub was uncovered and ready for our use on return to the lodge. One of many nice attentions to detail is the built in heating element in the stone work adjacent to the tub, allowing you to comfortably sit on the edge odf the tun for full enjoyment. Being 50+ in age, my ski bud and I greatly appreciated the perfect temperature of the tub and the powerful jets. Truly therapeutic. The outstanding beers on tap from the tavern adjacent to the dining room were of further benefit to our healing. As mentioned in previous review, the dining at the Silver Fork is outrageous! I have found that in most dining experiences, quality and quantity rarely go together. Not here! Dinner is outstanding! Plan on taking your time to enjoy a well cooked meal with filling proportions. I specifically recommend the Brisket and the Rib eye.
One can really enjoy breakfast, skip lunch (or go with a light snack) and take care with dinner.
As advertised, no TV or radio in the rooms, however, Dan maintains a sattelite TV with every channel imaginable and a VCR and DVD in a very comfortable common area.

Should you need internet capability, it is here. The complimentary wifi capability in the lodge is better than most major hotel chains. I spent most of the evening with a good book in the common area.

Personal guest service is the way of the Lodge. On every shuttle ride, questions and expert advice were always provided. I was especially pleased when the general Manager, Melissa took time out of her busy day to come and get us one afternoon.

True personal attention and service was demonstrated by the Assistant Manager Jeff. I believe that I commented in a previous review that on a visit a few years ago, Jeff transported me to the Brighton medical clinic when i was suffering from an extreme migraine. Jeff's care and concern saved that trip for me. On this trip, my ski bud and I were extremely fortunate in having Jeff take us on a few runs at Brighton. Jeff provided some great insight on the mountain and even helped me with pointers on my ride.

On our last day, we were able to arrange a late check out (within reason of course) to allow us to get in one more session at Brighton. Should check in occupancy not allow a late check out, the staff is more than happy to store luggage for you. On the return to the lodge, I was able to order some lunch with my outstanding server Beth and delay actual serving until I was cleansed and packed. This allowed me and ski bud to get more than a half day in at Brighton and be cleansed and fed prior to departing to the airport.

As mentioned, perfection improved on. To Dan, Melissa, Grace, Beth, Daniel, Barbara, John and the rest of the staff, THANK YOU! See you all next year.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brighton
Alta's Rustler Lodge
The Chateaux Deer Valley
#4 of 60 in Park City
4.5 of 5 stars 507 reviews
Sundial Lodge at Canyons Resort

Been to The Silver Fork Lodge? Share your experiences!