“Great Utah Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Brian Head
Chicago, IL
“Great Utah Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2009

My boyfriend and I needed an escape and headed west for a few days... we found Cedar Breaks Lodge and Brian Head through my parents' time share and are glad we visited the area.

The Cedar Breaks Lodge exceeded our expectations. The 1-bedroom villa had plenty of space, especially for just two people, and the fireplaces in both rooms were a nice touch (I agree with other reviews that noted that the fireplaces really dried the place out.... a week later and I'm still a little chapped, but that's a minor concern). I slept like a rock every night we were there, which was a testiment to both the comfort of the beds and the relative quiet of the lodge (and maybe my post-skiing exhaustion played a role). We appreciated the TVs and the DVD player in the living room, although the TVs are quite small.

Probably my favorite part of the lodge was the pool and hot tubs, which felt amazing after our days of hiking and skiing/ snowboarding. Every employee we encountered was extremely nice, especially the restaurant employees. The cafe, by the way, was quite good, especially for breakfast.

Brian Head itself is a charming little town and the skiing was quite enjoyable. If you're looking for nightlife or bright lights, you're not going to find it in Brian Head, but we wanted to chill out for a few days. We rented skiis from Georg's for a very good price, and enjoyed being able to ski all day without waiting in a single lift line. Zion National Park is only an hour and a half away and was breathtaking.

One suggestion-- if you want groceries, stop in Cedar City before making your way up the mountain. There are hardly any grocery options in Brian Head or in Parowan at the bottom of the hill. The road up to Brian Head is 12 miles and exceedingly windy with multiple switchbacks. It wasn't a drive I particularly enjoyed and would have preferred to save the time and effort of having to drive back down to Cedar City after checking in.

Overall, a very pleasant trip!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ajw957

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

Just stayed there Feb 28-Mar 1. was in main lodge (always ask for it, in case one's available. It's better than staying in Bldg 2 and 3.) on second floor, had a beautiful view. I booked this place 6 months out to make sure I got into the main lodge. The biggest perk is after swimming, you don't have to go outside in the cold wind freezing. they have changing rooms inside, and once I had to dry and dress warm to get back to the room, just so I pull it off and take a shower. That was the last time I ever stayed in the exterior bldgs. Also, No noise from above or below, was quiet even though it was packed in the hotel this past weekend and the maid service is better. we asked for extra towels and pillows and blankets and you got them fast.

Have stayed there before and have liked our previous stays. Have 2 adults, 1 16 yr old and 1 8 yr old. The older one likes to snowboard and the younger one likes to go snowmobiling and tubing, so we stop once a year through Brianhead and always stay at the Cedar Breaks.

I've learned from past experience that its nice to have a microwave and frig in the room; makes it easy to store juice, milk, water that we bring from home. I bring oatmeal packs, granola bars, fruit snacks and other small treats to keep on hand, but they have a small store that has a few things available if you forget something. EXPENSIVE tho. Kitchen comes with utensils and a wine bottle opener in case you decide to get/bring a bottle to enjoy in the room.

I don't want to cook more than a small snack - I'm on vacation. The only downside here is that when you get a Jr Villa, and aren't on the slopes, you're kinda stuck around the lunch hour with NO food except old sandwiches in the small store. My daughter managed to find some nachos which were passable, and we got a packaged cereal, and had some cup o noodles with us to eat. You can heat up water in your coffee machine and make whatever you can with that water. There was a toaster in our room as well under the sink area. Be prepared if you're hungry in the lodge area betw noon and 5 pm or head over to Navajo and get something to eat. Cheaper there anyhow.

Rooms were clean, but the cold floor in the bathroom seemed a little dirty. So I asked for an extra towel and put it on the floor to keep our feet warm.

I put the heater on to 80 to get the fireplace on, warmed up the room, and turned it down for the night. But it was pretty hot in the room; a little stuffy. If you don't, it's cold.

Beds are a little hard - but I have a bad back, so I was a little uncomfortable this trip. But its not that bad for normal folks and my husband and kids were fine.

Double Black diamond restaurant is good. Prices are betw $15-25 to eat a nice dinner; add ons for salad and dessert, but it was a great dinner and we always end up walking out full, or taking leftovers back to room. Can heat it up in microwave and munch late at night. Pastas taste best the next day.

Pool was OK; had warm and cold spots; but lots of towels this time. Sometimes you go, and there's no towels and you have to call the office and have them bring more. there's a workout area, a wet and dry sauna, two jacuzzis (one's warmer than the other) and a nice fireplace to sit by and watch the others swim if you're not in the mood.

Spa gets busy - book as soon as you canto get what you want. They have good masseuses and I haven't had a bad one yet. But this time I forgot to book it, and they only had time to give me a 25 min one. I hurt so much that I took what I could, and left wanting more. Sunday was jammed full with people; book before the weekend if you want something.

Shuttle service was really sporadic this weekend. sometimes fast, other times it took forever. They usually only stop at Cedar breaks, Navajo and Giant Steps. These guys got in and asked them to go up to their condo area across from Giant Steps, so I had to wait a little longer to get back to Cedar Breaks from Navajo. Since I didn't want to walk up the hill back to the condo, I went ahead and took the scenic route on the shuttle to get back. Takes the same amount of time and is a lot less effort. but one time, trying to go from Cedar Breaks to Navajo they never came. It was 15 min., so I walked. I actually beat the shuttle by 5 minutes, and I walk slow. Another guy was carrying his skis and beat me down the hill by 75 yards. He was so mad, cuz he was waiting longer - so he sat and yelled at the shuttle driver when they finally pulled up. if you're in shape - walk... if you've just missed the shuttle, walk. if you see a bunch of people waiting, and they've been there about 10 min, wait, cuz the shuttle usually comes around every 15-20 min.
BTW -The altitude can get to you....

Hope this helps.
nancy

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank nancyhi
montelo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

Staff very rude and dirty towels issues. Unfortunately no other choice to stay. Not family oriented (request a crib in the room but never got it). The sheets and bath towels were disgusting. The card key to open room door never worked so you have to go through blizzard to get new one (most of the room are outside main building). Leave your kids away of the pool, it's dirty and nobody care so forget about pool towel and welcome young people with loud music and beer bottle. The management is a joke and they are just here to take your money.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — Staff and Cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank montelo

Travelers are raving about these Brian Head hotels

Bedford, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

we were here 3rd week in Oct...great destination place for visiting Utah's state and national parks...we stayed in the 2 bedroom suite thru our time share...perfect place, the full kitchen, luxery baths with designer soaps and body lotions, soft king bed and double beds...
heat was from gas fireplaces in each bedroom and central heater in living area...tvs in each bedroom as well as dvd tv in living room...
as other posters said, it is dry dry dry...this whole area of Utah is dry so be prepared, not the resorts fault...under ground garage for parking with elevator up to all floors...the indoor pool, whirlpool area is awsome as well as the complete work out room...the staff is fantastic...they offer wireless web service for a fee but it is fast internet access...just use a good firewall while on the service...the town and resort pretty much closed at this time of year but we prepared our shopping list for Walmart in Cedar Breaks down the mountain...the only gripe is the mountain pass with 13% inclines and switchbacks to get up to Brians Head...still not the resorts problem...didnt eat anywhere while there, cooked everything in well supplied kitchen...this is a great place for a quiet relaxful fall get away..

• Liked — Eveerything well kept
  • Disliked — noise from doors accessing out side
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank margo812
las vegas,nv
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2008

the customer service at cedarbreaks is horrible. they are the only hotel up top of the mountain and they must think that is a reason to be rude. i stay there every year on the group annual ski trip and every year it gets worse. the bartenders are the worst..guy named kevin i think needs to learn to be nice to customers.
the security harrassed us for being loud whil playing cards in our room(4 people aged 30-50years old). then the next night the bartender said he heard we were toublemakers and would call his friend the sheriff if he wanted. not a nice greeting for tipping vacationers. we left and went to our rooms to enjoy wine in a happy environment, which was not to be found by employees there.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rude employees
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Rosamond, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2008

We're an older couple who visited during the October "shoulder season" when things are VERY quiet at Brian Head and some of the resort's facilities were operating on a limited schedule. Nevertheless, we found the Lodge very comfortable and the staff accomodating for our needs as we did our touring of Zion, Bryce, and the surrounding area.
Our "1-bedroom" was smallish but certainly adequate for a couple. The sitting room, with sofa-bed and a small dining table, was excellent for relaxing & reading or TV, but using it to sleep the max 4 people in the unit would have made things pretty crowded. Everything was clean and in good repair.
A mini-kitchen with cooktop, microwave and a full set of small appliances (including blender) was OK for light food prep chores, and the bathroom featured combo Jacuzzi tub-shower. The bedroom had a thermostatically controlled gas "fireplace" that felt good during the cool nights, but as there is no air conditioning, visits in July or August might get uncomfortable (we noted there was a portable fan).
The resort is composed of three buildings, two exclusively guest rooms and the third housing all facilities...a small convenience store, restaurant(s), indoor pool, two large hot tubs, steam room, exercise room, etc., plus a few more guest rooms. Having to walk exposed from the outlying buildings to and from the hot tubs/pool is somewhat inconvenient & could be a bit nippy in the winter but the facilities themselves are top-notch.
All in all, we felt it was an honestly priced resort and are comfortable giving it a "high average to above average" rating.

• Liked — Quiet, comfortable, adequately equipped, good pool/hot tub/exercise facilities
  • Disliked — The chilly dash back to the room in damp bathing attire!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2008

Wespent 2 nights at this hotel whist visiting Zion and Bryce Canyons. Beautifully decorated, food excellent and not over priced, spa is available with treatments at an affordable price, beautiful indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi, rooms very well equiped with mini kitchen and real glasses, bath with whirlpool and the bar was friendly and comfortable serving food also.
All staff friendly and helpful if you want a couple of days to chill whilst visiting the las Vegas area this is the place to do it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brian Head
#2 of 22 in Cedar City
BEST WESTERN Town & Country Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites Cedar City
La Quinta Inn & Suites Cedar City

Been to Cedar Breaks Lodge? Share your experiences!