“Nice hotel at the base of Brian Head ski resort”
Review of Cedar Breaks Lodge

Cedar Breaks Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Brian Head
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice hotel at the base of Brian Head ski resort”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was a nice, inexpensive hotel, that is directly at the base of the Brian Head ski resort. The nearest town is about ten miles away, so the restaraunt was our only real choice for an actual meal, and surprisingly, the meal was very good, and the prices were fair, for both breakfast and dinner.

The rooms are average size, but were well appointed, and were perfect for a quick overnight ski trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank terandboys

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed January 2, 2013

OK, start from the outside. Well maintained road with the plow car working non stop to clear the road from snow during winter time. The location of the hotel, being adjacent to Navajo ski lift really a big plus for my family because I have 9 years old daughter who loves the ski camp. The shuttle that arrive every 15 minutes in front of the hotel can take our family to other ski lift facilities. Now, let's explore the inside. The indoor pool, the fitness center, the room, they are all in nice condition, but the gift shop is the best because the pricing of the stuffs that they sell are reasonable. The English style Fish 'n Chips from their onsite restaurant is hands down one of the best Fish 'n Chips I've had in my life. Internet connection is a different story, it's very very very very sloooooooow. Sure you can get the connection for free if you buy something from the Lounge, but the Lounge it self is an anomaly in this hotel due to their obnoxious food and drink pricing. Overall, I agree with other reviewers on the source of the room lighting.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Zaitun101
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I've been coming to this lodge for years but upon having to pay an outrageous $395.00 per night I decided it was time I reviewed it.

The lodge itself is nice, great location for winter and summer activities. Every year it seems they do a little upgrade of some sort and this year a coffee shop with board games, snacks, couches and a fireplace was put in to my delight. The rooms are clean and the furniture in good condition and all have ceiling fans (summer) and fireplaces.The staff is always friendly and much of the customer parking is underground keeping your vehicle warm and safe.

Aside from the price, downsides to Cedar Breaks is the terrible shower heads, very few rooms have views of the slopes, they nickle and dime you (even already popped popcorn is $1.25) and all of the windows are in the bedrooms leaving the family room and kitchen areas in the dark.

While my overall review is good, I just don't feel the winter rates are worth the product.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenna S
Palmdale, CA
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I own this timeshare so not like I would stay elsewhere so I have no comparison but this is a nice place. We had a 2 bedroom unit. I hate that all the windows are in the bedrooms so the living room and kitchen have no natural light.

Get a room in the main building if you can. It's the nicest. I've stayed in one of the other buildings and they seemed a bit more rundown but that was 4 years ago so maybe they've been updated.

Pool and saunas are very nice. We didn't try any of the restaurants.

Staff was helpful although the front desk people seemed a little indifferent.

We did get massages and all enjoyed them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mizkat1958
Calabasas, California
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had been wanting a hiking vacation for some time and we were able to secure two one-bedroom units at this lodge this past summer through Interval World. And that brings up our first lackluster experience. We tried both by phone and when we checked in to switch out the two one-bedroom units for a two-bedroom unit. No dice. The basic reason? They gave us a lot of double-speak and illogical reasons. We read it simply as it was too much of a pain for the people to make the changes in the system. There were certainly plenty of units available, as the lodge was maybe half full (fourth of July week).

Not only did they not accommodate us, the best they could do was give us two units that were on the same floor - nothing adjoining. The front desk staff were all what we call unconvincingly friendly. They smiled. They had manners, but you could tell they did not love what they did and did not really care how happy their customers were. There was always this unspoken attitude of "your taking me away from reading my book" whenever we stopped by.

As for the rooms, very disappointing. We have stayed in a lot of places and these are at bottom of the list in terms of design. The one-bedrooms are a narrow rectangle. You enter into the living room area. the "kitchen" and the bathroom are through a door straight ahead, and through the next door is the bedroom. The only windows are in the bedroom. Thus, if that door is closed, the lighting everywhere else is abysmal. Worse, there is no ventilation to speak of. We had the windows open so it wouldn't be stuffy, but if someone was in the bedroom sleeping with the door closed to avoid the noise from the kitchen or family room area, the rest of the unit would get hot and stuffy. Further, the furniture, the bedding and all the equipment were old and not of good quality. I began using a sweatshirt for my pillow after the 2nd night. I also considered sleeping on the floor because the mattress was killing my back.

The lodge is pretty useless as well. About the only thing we enjoyed about it is that the concierge also gives family rates for archery lessons on site, and that was great.

As for Brian Head, it's gorgeous. We LOVED cedar breaks. We had quite the heated discussion as to what was the most beautiful views between Cedar Breaks, Zion, etc. There is no wrong answer.

There is little do to in the town other than hike if it's the summer, and don't plan on fine dining unless you are driving a good ways. But as long as you just want a place to sleep and are there for the hiking, this place works. I would look into renting a house there if and when we go back. I have to believe the prices in the summer would be quite good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank marc f

Travelers are raving about these Brian Head hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Very good value for an out of season stay. Our suite had very large and comfortable beds and was well equipped. The lounge section was a bit gloomy, with no outside light. There were restaurant options on-site, including an up market steakhouse.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank John R
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The one bedroom room was clean and comfortable, but there are several negatives that are show stoppers and I would NEVER return or recommend this hotel to anyone. We stayed there September 14/15, 2011. First of all, the rooms don't have air conditioning, just heaters and ceiling fans. Second, they charge you for the WiFi internet access!!!! That is obnoxious in my opinion these days. Third, they have a 72 hours cancellation fee, so if you don't like the place (which we didn't) then you are stuck paying for the next couple of days whether you stay there or not. Three strikes and they are out for me! Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Find one that doesn't rip you on ammenities, like air conditioning and FREE Wifi.