“Highly recommended. A first rate operation, couldn't be better”

Escalante Canyon Outfitters
Ranked #6 of 12 things to do in Boulder
More attraction details
Owner description: This full-service outfitter leads trips in the Escalante Canyons.
Reviewed August 18, 2011

We had an outstanding experience with ECO. It's a first-class operation.

We went on a Narrows trip in May as a birthday present to ourselves. We are experienced travelers and are both fit, so we knew that we could plan our own trip if we wanted. However, we are also busy people and knew that we would have a really special trip if we chose the right outfitter.

ECO turned out to be just the right thing. It's a small family-run business that prides itself on creating an exceptional experience for its clients. We had a wonderful time and really felt that they gave us a trip that we could not have organized ourselves. What's special about this company? Probably the guides and the extent to which they work to ensure that there is sense of discovery for each of the guests. Grant and his team know the Escalante area so well and are very experienced at working with guests of all ages and abilities. They are great at pushing you to try new things (like shimmying down sheer rock ledges or walking up rock faces with tiny little footholds), but at the same time supporting you and making you feel safe. I can't say enough about how good these guides are. Real professionals who are natural teachers with the sunniest of personalities. Plus they know this area like the back of their hand. We saw things and did thing we wouldn't have had the confidence to do by ourselves.

ECO has a real knack for picking routes with novel experiences. Our group was on the large side, with 10 guests, of all different fitness levels. During the day we started out on a hike as a large group and then split up after lunch into 3 different groups according to walking pace and interest. Each group had a different program after lunch, but we all felt that they made us try things that we never would have done if we were by ourselves.

So, why would you go on a trip like this? As I said before, you'll have a different experience with them than if you are new to the area and are going to self-guide yourself. Second, these trips are really for people who love to hike, but are sort of "over" having to carry a pack or making all the food and supplies plans themselves. The camps are set up in advance for you, and are supplied by horsepack, so all you have to do is carry your day pack and enjoy yourself. At the end of the day dinner is cooked for you and all the dishes are washed. It's quite a luxury! And a pretty reasonably priced luxury too!

ECO earns high, high marks from me. Well worth your time and your money. Most of us left the canyon thinking about when we could come back for a return trip !

Reviewed June 11, 2011

I have been on two trips with ECO--one in October, 2010 (Canyons of the Little Rockies) and a second in May, 2011 (Kayenta Passages). I am eager to go on more--especially Waterpocket Fold. They use horses to bring in gear so you only have to carry a daypack.
They lead the hikes, prepare all the meals, and share their knowledge of the area--old timers' stories, geology, archeology. You sleep in tents. The food is outstanding, the country spectacular. I would recommend ECO without reservation.

1  Thank trekkeross
Reviewed January 25, 2009

I have been on two trips with ECO and I can highly recommend this group to anyone seeking solitude and a true backcountry experience with all the comforts and safety of a guided tour. The areas visited are remote and truly beautiful. The guides have utmost respect for safety and take special care with any guests who need extra help on the hikes. The food and camp life are trememdous. I hope to go on a third trip soon. The guides are all "locals" and they will reassure you with their confidence and skills in the back country, and will make sure you have fun.

1  Thank rmaWI
Reviewed December 28, 2008

It is a great way to see escalente, you are looked after well, tents are great, food VERY VERY good, and you need only carry a day pack. I cannot imagine attempting this yourself unless you know the area, and even then the guides can show you special trails few would know. Besides not many people can cook as well as ours did and part of the experience is meeting the others in your group.
Only shortcomings was not getting started early enough which in fall resulted in coming back in the dark, and one trip was more bushwhacking than I would have chosen. These are small problems relative to the great areas that we explored and the enthusiasm of the group and guides.

Reviewed September 30, 2008

I've taken two trips with these folks (2007and 2008), and each time I've been thoroughly pleased with their professionalism, organization and knowledge. I'll book a trip again with them in 2009. On both trips there were three very friendly and helpful staff for six participants. They made sure all of us received helpful attention appropriate to our respective skill and athletic abilities. Their knowledge of the geology, biology, archaeology and recent human impact of the region is exceptional. I've done a lot of hiking in the backcountry in New Mexico and Utah, and these folks are the best! I highly recommend them for anyone interested in exploring the many Escalante River canyons, Henry Mountains and Waterpocket Fold areas of Capitol Reef National Park in Southern Utah.