“Like Camping..But you need a room key to get into your Tent”
Review of Recapture Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bluff
Recapture Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bluff
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was trying to stretch the driving to make it to Chinle, but got tired and stopped at Recapture Inn. What a MISTAKE I should have just stayed in my car. The employee running the front desk failed to mention until after we paid that they run off of an "Evaporative System" to cool the place. It was a 105 that day and the room was CRAZY hot. It was unbareable. There were people outside sitting in chairs outside their rooms until 2am because it was so hot in the rooms. The I actually opened up the small fridge in the room in hopes it would cool it down. The parking lot is trashy, and is a dirt lot. Pool is nowhere near the rooms and you have to walk through a the dirt lot to get to it. NEVER EVER EVER STAY HERE. Pay the extra money and go somewhere else!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Andrew G

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Whenever I go rafting down the San Juan River in Southern Utah and near Monument Valley, I stay at the Recapture Lodge in Bluff. This is a budget motel with all the amenities including a pool and grills. The rooms are pleasant, everything works, and for $69/night for 2 people it's a bargain. You can walk to any of the restaurants in town and, more importantly, to the Wild Rivers Expedition office to raft just a half block away. I've always found the owners to be pleasant and helpful. On my last trip the motel was booked solid and when a room came open they called me and my trip went smoothly. My last visit they allowed my dog to stay at no extra charge but you should check with the owners about their current per policy. If you're an avid hiker and explorer, the areas along the San Juan are rich in native people's archeology and the scenery, while stark at times, is also breath taking.You might want to read Tony Hiillerman's novel "A thief of Time" since much of the action takes place along the San Juan and is beautifully described.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Morley G
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were told to try this Lodge by a charming man at Bluff Information Centre, and it was a lot cheaper than staying nearer Monument Valley and a lot of personal attention.
The check in was very friendly and informative. Th room was okay, needed some TLC with the towels a bit worn but it was clean and had a little kitchenette with utensils etc.
It was a scorching hot day and after hiking and a long drive, we went straight to the pool to cool off. The outdoor pool was really good and we enjoyed just lounging around the pool to relax.
The room was comfortable but not very modern, a bit homely.
We liked the breakfast which consisted of juice, cereal (including porridge), bagels, fresh fruit, yoghurt, peanut butter and toast.
The best part was watching the humming birds just outside the breakfast room window. We don't get hummingbirds in the UK so we were very excited.
Another nice thing was having proper mugs, cutlery and crockery (not plastic and polystyrene).
This may be a small thing but I don't like eating out of plastic and also being green.
This place does not give you mod cons but gives you a personal touch and is in a great location.

4  Thank Ishiarusha
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in Bluff on our way to Colorado. We actually stayed in the "West House" that the lodge rents out for someone else. At first, we were not sure about the house as the upkeep on the outside isn't the best. However, we were a party of 8 and that was the best night sleep we all had during our 9 day road trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The place is nice and calm. The owners are really nice and welcoming, always ready to have a chat and give you tips about anything. The rooms were nice, not very big but good enough! Breakfasts were decent as well. They also have a pool and a spa (we couldn't enjoy it, it was still a bit chilly) but it's a nice place to go to enjoy the sun, read a book and listen to the birds. Unusual fact: they have a hummingbird feeder in front of the window where we have breakfast, it was enjoyable to see them from that close!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2013

After a hot day of hiking Arches NP we ended up in the Recapture Lodge. It met our needs perfectly: a very friendly owner, a clean, spacious and cool (by means of evaporation which is much more comfortable than A/C) room with retro furnishing, fridge & hairdryer, a great refreshing pool and breakfast the next morning. And all that for $ 85, a bargain if you ask me! If you are en route to Monument Valley, Mesa Verde or Page, be sure to stop in Bluff for the Recapture Lodge (and dinner at Cottonwood).

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here one night on our way North, it's a lovely town and the Steakhouse there is awesome. The reviews for the Recapture Lodge seemed great....I don't know what 'charming', and 'perfect' mean anymore. The bed was uncomfortable, the carpet worn and shabby. The towels were thin and I would have a hard time using the facecloth on my dog....never mind my face. I was totally disappointed with this place. I mentioned it to the clerk when checking out, taking her one of the 'clean' facecloths and did not receive a 'I'm sorry' or "I'll let the owners know"....these people have a gold mine, place was packed on Saturday night but they need to start putting some of that $$$$ back into the rooms. It COULD be a charming place, and yes it is rustic but clean and comfortable it is not. For $93/ including tax for a double bed , spend the extra $$$$ and stay somewhere else. Just reinforces my theory to look at the rooms before you sign.

1  Thank 351LindaW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bluff
Desert Rose Resort & Cabins
#5 of 7 in Blanding
La Posada Pintada
La Posada Pintada
#1 of 1 in Bluff

Been to Recapture Lodge? Share your experiences!