“Absolutely amazing experience at the Amangiri”
Review of Amangiri

Amangiri
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Big Water
Toronto
“Absolutely amazing experience at the Amangiri”
Reviewed November 22, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a few nights at the Amangiri, our first Aman experience. We drove in through the gates as a car was exiting, so our arrival was not announced ('a test', my husband joked), but we were warmly welcomed by a number of friendly staff, given spicy chai tea, and whisked away on a tour of the gorgeous property. The architects discreetly positioned each of the buildings with views in mind, and everywhere one looks there's a breath-taking vista, purposely framed by a window or an opening between buildings. Our room had a 'Mesa View', which I would recommend, not only for the stunning view, but also for its proximity to the spa, the pool and hot tub and the dining room/living room. The room wasn't huge but was well-designed, and serene, with an amazing bathtub/shower area (again with the view). All of the spaces: the gym, the spa, the dining room are beautifully conceived with amazing details (we loved the lighting, the dishes, the rugs, the fire tools - you name it - it was thoughtfully selected). The music, the books and magazines, the dvds, the board games (I care about these things) in the library were excellent. It was a place that you'd really want to hang out (and we did) but the lure of the hiking trails, the yoga, the pool, the spa treatments are strong. The complimentary guided hikes are a must-do but there is also the opportunity to take awesome self-guided hikes on or near the property. The spa is extensive with various plunge pools, steam, sauna, and treatment areas. Our treatments/massages ranged from pretty good to really great (I was surprised to love the meditative water treatment so much).
I'd read previous reviews here which were critical of the food, so my expectations were tempered, but I have to say that we completely loved our meals. I woke up excited about what I was going to eat that day - I wanted to try everything! The fresh bread, soups, cheeses, wood-fired pizzas, the fish tacos, elk chili (lots of southwestern/Mexican influences) were highlights. (And an amazing wine list).
The real strength of the hotel though is the service - the people and the way they go above and beyond. This shouldn't have surprised me, it's supposed to be great at this price point, but the little things like Toni bringing me an early morning latte in the hot tub and remembering exactly how I like it. Or Connie, the personal trainer, printing up a folder of exercises and stretches for me to take home for my sore shoulder. Or John and Sam in the dining room who figured out exactly what wines we'd love and were so interesting and warm that they felt like friends by the end of our stay. And Andrew, the Assistant Manager who was ever attentive, accommodating, and lovely.
I would highly recommend exploring this part of the world - the natural landscape is mind-blowing. And without hesitation I would recommend doing it from this hotel. It's amazing and I dream about returning someday.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ilikegoodtravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Enterprise, Alabama
Reviewed November 10, 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure of a one night stay at the Amangiri resort
near Page, Arizona. Although we were there for less than 24 hours, we were very impressed by the entire experience. The staff was solicitous both prior to and during our stay. The directions to the facility were excellent (Be careful about
the turn-off road into the Amangiri---there is a dead end which could be a
traffic hazard).

The Amangiri is located in a beautiful, almost unreal valley in southern
Utah, about 13 miles from Page, AZ. We stayed in the Mesa View Suite which
had a lovely, view of a nearby Mesa. It is a superb experience to sit on the
patio alongside a warm and cheerful fire.

In other respects the Amangiri is excellent. The food is interesting and well prepared. The management of the restaurant is active, checking on diners
and even assisting in the service.

The staff, as noted above, is very helpful. Although I was late to a massage appointment, the masseuse kindly allowed me to take my time and delivered a great massage. We also very much enjoyed the slot cave tour. The tour guide was knowledgeable and helpful in every way.

The Amangiri is "high end" in price but definitely worth it. I would return.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrequentTraveller090
California
Reviewed November 6, 2010

We spent 6 nights here in September 2010. The room was great, the service was quite high-quality, the food and wine were terrific, and the excursions we signed up for were all very memorable. We did a flyover of the Grand Canyon that left us breathless; a hot air balloon ride in which a very experienced pilot took us up and over some huge rock formations and landed very gently on a dirt road that he and his crew had targeted as the landing spot that morning. We did one guided hike and several self-guided hikes. The resort design is striking, like that of all other Aman resorts we've visited, and the views directly outside your windows were fabulous. We strongly recommend it!

1 Thank WhhCalifornia
Laguna Beach
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Arriving at the Amangiri was a long but magical arrival. The landforms are sensual... a different landscape... wonderful setting. The entry and public spaces are grand for the 34 suits and number of guests. This is really special, never crowded. Sometimes it is difficult to find lounges around the pool. The suites are all based on an identical floor plan which really works well. Two spaces, a large living/ sleeping space with 2 courts . The architecture is very minimal and powerful. A zen essential ambiance. Star gazing , walking massage. Relax. The gym equipment is unusable! The lobby is nice , but the area with the books and computers is in a coral which is central. You must walk around it and it is never used much. It could be a losser plan with chairs and tables freely arranged, IMHO. The food was always off. Breakfast and lunch were slightly better than dinner ,but not great or even good. The options are zero! You eat there are drive which impacts the relax factor. One night we sat adjacent to the cook line and watched the operation. Several dishes came back...under cooked. There seemed to be a lack of professionalism as we watched the chefs... At these prices we expected more. Recently we visited a local restaurant in Newport Beach with average reviews... my wife said if the food at Amangiri was this good it would have been a much better experience.

2 Thank LagunaMark
switzerland
Reviewed October 2, 2010

We stayed here for one week, and it was amazing. The architecture and the location leave you speechless. This is one beautiful property. The staff are very friendly, but they are still learning. There are a few things that shouldn't be happening at such a beautiful and high end place. Housekeeping for one isn't quite up to par. Our biggest complaint however is the quality of the food. We ate here once, and never again. On the bright side however, we sat down with the Assistant Manager Andrew, who was very receptive to our comments and suggestions. If you rent a car, we suggest you just wander into Page and have dinner at the Canyon King, the chef used to work at the Amangiri, and the food is absolutely exceptional.
But we will definitely come back, this is such a fantastic place!

1 Thank jacqueline41
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 17, 2010

We just returned from a four night visit. I have not spent any time in the desert except for Vegas - and that just doesn't count. we traveled from the south and took nearly 8 hours to get there. Absolutely beautiful. The resort is on 600 acres of beautiful mesas, hoodoos, and desert vegetation. The resort is very stark but it really does work with the surroundings.

The good: The mesa rooms are very large and have everything you need including complimentary snacks and plenty of water. They also give you full size bath products which I loved especially the lotion. The view is amazing and private. We opened the drapes everynight so that we could wake up to the sunset in the morning. At night we sat out on our patio, drank and star gazed - can see the milky way. The pool was beautful and the lounges and beds with huge umbrellas enticed even my husband to lay by the pool in the afternoon. The staff was friendly and helpful with out being intrusive. We did several on site hikes by ourselves, slot canyon tour, borrowed a car and went into Page and the surrounding area for a few more hikes, spa treatments, and then were slugs the rest of the time. It was exactly what we wanted and needed.

The ok: Food still needs work.

The bad; I do agree with other reviewers- the bed platform is dangerous. Hopefully when you kick it the first night you don't break your toes. It only takes one time and then you never do it again.

The petty: The door to the toilet is a huge sliding piece of wood and just doesn't work - looks good. Not the resorts fault but I had a hard time with the time changes. Arizona doesn't recognize daylight savings so they are an hour behind. So if our plane left Page at 8:00Am that was 9:00am at Amangiri 9which was actually pretty nice).

The spa: I had a 90 minute massage (thanks AmEX). The room was beautiful, has a private bathroom with steam shower, that you use to change if you do not want to walk over in your robe. I also did the 2 1/2 hr midday journey (scrub,wrap, facial) which I really enjoyed. Again seperate private bath with steam shower. I also tried the Flotation tank for 30 min. Had a hard time relaxing with that one.

The Mormon: Utah's liquor laws state no liquor displayed at the resort, hence, no bar. They do serve alcohol but have to keep it in a closet. I was also told it is taxed 78%.

We loved it.

3 Thank jakester379
California
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Arriving here is simply breath taking. The natural beauty is the hero of this resort. And it's an incredible property, simple, and minimalist in design. If you have the chance to visit, go for it.

That being said, I would not go out of my way to return here again. I flew in from San Diego, it took 3 connecting flights and six hours. The experience was good but not especially memorable or impressive compared to other Aman resorts.

I will be visiting the Amans in Sri Lanka next month and look forward to a more memorable experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Days Inn & Suites Page Lake Powell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Page at Lake Powell
Best Western Plus at Lake Powell
Best Western View of Lake Powell Hotel

Been to Amangiri? Share your experiences!