“Unbelievable Place”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Big Water
Greensboro, GA
“Unbelievable Place”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is my first stay at an Aman resort. We were literally blown away by this property. The bar has been raised. The property is amazing, the rooms and the service are all top notch. This is well above a 5 star property. First of all, service was impeccable. When we returned to our room after breakfast, the room had already been cleaned - this is a first in any of our travels. The food was excellent. Incredible selection in an isolated location. When you stay here, you eat all of your meals in the dining room. While dining, the views are incredible. Our servers were great, especially Kay and Stephanie. One interesting part of this property is the Via Ferrata, literally road of iron. You climb the surrounding hills and rocks with an experienced guide. Climbing steps and clipping in and out of a steel cable. I felt safe the entire climb. We did not know about this activity until we arrived at the resort, and I highly recommend it. What a rush. Bring a camera. I did two of these hikes with my guide, Yermo. At first you don't think that it is possible for a novice to attempt some of these climbs. With gently coaching and a can do attitude you accomplish something totally out of your comfort zone. One of our servers put it best when she said that doing one of these hikes is empowering. On my first Via, you climb up a canyon to the top of one of the mesas, you cross an amazing bridge and then climb back down - takes about 2 hours. When you are done, your first thought is when can I do another one. I next climbed 750 feet with Yermo. Up rocks and steps to an unforgettable view of the resort, Lake Powell and even Bryce, miles away. Not to be missed. I think that I have found a new hobby.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1412510ark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed March 10, 2014

This was a girls' trip for New Years eve for two nights in January 2013. As travel addicts, we had been arm chair traveling to the Aman properties around the world for years and here was our chance to finally stay at an Aman in the US.
We drove from Los Angeles, stopping in Zion National Park for a few nights on the way and as we drove to our destination, we questioned the possibility of an Aman property to be able to pull off all they promise in this remote area near Four Courners. They did.
The property is in a spectacular area of UT with majestic beauty, slot hiking within walking distance or a short drive away and historic petroglyphs.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by the hotel manager who made us feel as though we were guests of a private estate. The food was nothing short of what you'd expect from a 5 star restaurant in any luxury property or a metropolitan city. During our first day's breakfast, my friend asked what kind of smoothies they had to serve, and the answer was "whatever you wish." This is the level of service the Amangiri provided us.
I must mention, December 31, 2012 was the first time the Amangiri celebrated with a New Year's Eve firework display from the desert put on by their chef, with champagne sparklers and a night sky that was clear enough to see the Milky Way.

The suites are a blend of natural textiles and colors to blend with the environment, relaxing touches like a fireplace on our terrace, borderless glass window to view nature's wonder right outside our door, locally made bath salts, and a stocked refrigerator complimentary for our stay.

An amazing place, with an extraordinary and stunning location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Words cannot do justice to this place. Neither can pictures. So why bother writing a review or uploading pictures? Because pointless tasks are my specialty. I might as well have a PhD in pointlessness. Come to think of it, I do, sort of. Anyway, this is all beside the point. What point? I have no point. Never had one. But, if I did, or had, it would be that you must absolutely come to this place. Well, if you can afford to splurge $1,500+ a night on a hotel room, that is. If you can't, sell a kidney. That's what I did.

Incidentally, this is my second visit to an Aman property. Two years ago, I stayed at the Sveti Stefan in Montenegro (that's when I sold my first kidney; it's a miracle I'm still alive, really). Up until last week, I thought that it was the most magical place I'd ever been to. Now I don't anymore.

Finally, not to blow my own horn or anything, I should say that for the first time, in a long time, I have uploaded pictures to go with my review. Somebody please give me a medal.

Location

As you have no doubt gathered already, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, at the border between Utah and Arizona, just by the Western tip of Lake Powell. The nearest 'town', Page, AZ, is a 20 minute drive away and might as well not be there at all, except for the fact that it has an airport with daily flights from and to Las Vegas (among a handful of other places). Otherwise, it's a decidedly nondescript (very) small town which revolves around its Walmart - not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe I'm being harsh, it's not entirely non-descript. It has at least one remarkable characteristic: all of its churches (quite a few given how small it is) are located right next to each other on the same street. I'm not from these parts, so this may be a common thing around here, but it amused nonetheless. I'm easily amused.

If you're coming from Vegas, I would recommend driving, rather than flying. It's a very manageable (and scenic) four/five hour drive, with a possible detour through Zion National Park, which is terrific and, basically, on the way. Also, although the hotel does provide guests with complimentary use of a fleet of BMWs, you'll still likely need to have your own car – but more on this later.

In typical Aman style, even the signpost signalling the hotel from the main road is so subtle you won't notice it unless you know it's there (Google Map was a life-saver on this trip – you just type 'Amangiri' in the directions function and it will take you there; Tom Tom, on the other hand, didn't even recognise the road or zip code it's on – their days are bound to be numbered, but, then again, this is also beside the point ). Once you get off the main road, you go straight for a bit and then get to a seemingly rusty old iron gate, at which point you embark on a 2-mile long winding road that very picturesquely snakes around a series of buttes and rock formations, ultimately leading to the hotel. You'll no doubt mutter the first few (of many) Oohh!s and Waahh!s during this short journey.

Reception and communal areas

At the end of the 2-mile long winding road is the hotel's main building – a concrete oasis in the desert. Yes, concrete – the entire resort is made of concrete. Don't worry, it looks much better than it sounds. The concrete blends in remarkably well with the surroundings and, with the elegantly minimalist shades of whites and greys the hotel is decorated in, visually it all flows very naturally indeed. The main building, essentially one large room, is where most of the communal activity takes place: reception, lounge, restaurant, and (open) kitchen, as well as pool. One side of the building faces into the desert wilderness, with floor to ceiling windows to make the most of the majestic landscape. The other has a terrace facing the equally majestic pool – built around a tongue of rock (apparently, Adrian Zecha, founder of Aman resorts, saw the rock and decided to build the pool, as well as the entire hotel, around it). There are no less than five enormous fireplaces in the lounge / restaurant area of the main building, facing the wilderness, which are constantly kept going with firewood throughout the evening. All this makes for a uniquely spectacular setting in which to have breakfast, lunch, aperitif, and dinner, every day.

Rooms

There must be 30-odd suites in the resort, snaked around an open walkway behind the main building. There are various different categories of rooms (the main of which being Desert View, the 'cheapest' currently at $1,100 per night plus extras, and Mesa View). We had booked Desert View rooms but were upgraded to Mesa View as the hotel was essentially empty whilst we where there (which added to the solitary mystique of the place). I may be wrong (I often am) but I can't imagine there is a material difference between the two categories – all rooms seem to face the same direction (with terrraces of various sizes) and they are likely to feature very similar amenities.

The rooms are beautifully decorated, in the same minimalistically elegant style of the main building – with lovely hues of whites, beiges, and greys. As with the rest of the resort, everything in the room flows very naturally – a single fluid movement from desk, to bed, to sofa, to terrace, with the bathroom following a similar flow alongside the main room. As you would expect, the bed is fantastically comfortable – like sleeping in a cloud with the Gods. TV (regular sized old-ish generation flat screen, which may need to be replaced soon, with Bose speakers), minibar (complimentary), coffee machine, and drawers/closets are all artfully and neatly hidden so as to avoid unnecessary clutter. Like I said, the thin and long bathroom follows similar lines to the main room, starting with the WC on one end, through to a long double vanity, onto a large wet room with a bathtub and not one, but two, showers (for those rush-hour mornings in the desert where you both just have to shower at the same time but don't want to risk any funny business, if you catch my drift). The shower/bath room has a window that faces unto the empty desert plain.

It's all fantastic, but, really, what is truly amazing is the view – a vaste expanse of desert with cliffs on the horizon and no sign whatsoever of human interference. Words just cannot describe the feeling of sheer wonderment at sitting on that terrace and staring helplessly onto the beyond, feeling dwarfed by nature. I'm a poet. I dwarf poet. If it takes $1,500 a night and a couple of kidneys to feel like this, then so be it (24/7 dialysis is not that bad).

Dining

As touched upon above, there is only one restaurant, in the main building, which serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We ate breakfast and dinner in the restaurant everyday for four days and managed to sample a variety of dishes from its menus. Breakfast, in particular, was excellent – a la carte with a wide selection of staple dishes, all delectable, especially the pancakes and waffles. The dinner menu is somewhat more eclectic (with clear Asian influences) and, I'm sorry to say, a bit more hit and miss. Menu items ranged from sashimi, pizza, and pasta appetizers to grills (including local elk and bison), as well as 'composed' main dishes/entrees, including a number of fish items. Some dishes were very tasty, like, for instance, the bison fillet steak and the duck thighs appetizers, whilst others were, in my view, somewhat off the mark, like, as one would expect, the sashimi and some of the composed entrees. The one pasta dish I tried was also rather good, with clearly home-made pasta and a delicious sauce of tomatoes and prawns.

Admittedly, any criticism of the food should be taken in context (something to bear in mind when reading previous reviews). To have food of this quality in such a remote location is no mean feat. No doubt this is the best eatery in hundreds of miles. Forget about trying local alternatives – all I saw driving around in the area were fast food chain joints.

Prices are high, but, in a way, this is to be expected: if my memory serves me right (something I wouldn't necessarily count on), appetizers/large breakfast items were in the high teens-30 dollar mark, with mains/entrees in the 30-60 range. Drinks are also expensive, of course, with wines easily reaching the $100 mark by the bottle and $20 plus by the glass. I should say that, as we visited during the low season, all meals were included in the room-charge (something which will soon be rolled out for all seasons – see below), so we did not care much about (food) prices. In any event, like I said, they are the sort of incidental prices that you expect at this sort of establishment.

I should also mention that the hotel can arrange packed lunches that you can take with you on the road during the day. Something we made use of everyday given the limited food options in the area. Again, this normally comes at a charge (mid twenties, I think), which was waived during our stay.

Being an Aman property, the service is exceptional throughout: bell boys, reception staff, restaurant staff, and house-keeping. The excellence of the service was enhanced by the fact that, as I mentioned earlier, there were very few guests in the hotel during our stay (it seemed to me that only three or four other rooms were occupied), which made the staff even more focussed and attentive (though never in an overbearing way, not necessarily easy to do when there are so few guests). I must say, I cannot really agree with previous reviews who mentioned service was unprofessional – yes, the staff was young, mainly local, and possibly, in the case of some, in training, but were always extremely courteous and professional at a level that befits the Aman brand. They must have addressed the issue.

The new French General Manager (only two months into the job at the time) was also often around, making sure we were happy with everything (how could we not be). As an aside, it seems that the hotel is changing the way it sets the rates (as of June 2014; likely by direction of the new GM). There used to be a single room rate for all seasons. However, as of June, there will be a low season rate (slightly higher than the previous flat rate), with a $300 supplement for high season. All rates will include full-board (which seems to be the right approach given that you basically have no alternative, at least for breakfast and dinner). The upshot of all this is that the rate for the cheapest room during high season will be $1,500 plus taxes and service charge. Neat.

Which brings me to the service charge. On top of the 15% of the room rate for various assorted room taxes (an odd concept, if you ask me), the hotel charges a 10% 'service charge' on the room rate and an 18% service charge on all food and beverages. I didn't enquire specifically but I assumed that this meant that we did not have to bother with tips in the hotel (supported by the fact that you never have to sign for anything, unless you want to check the bill). A refreshing, and highly welcome, approach in my experience of US hotels and restaurants, which does away with having to bother with cash tips or have a constant debate with yourself as to which services you should tip for, and how much, and which you shouldn't.

Extras

Excursions: as the hotel is set in a vast natural reserve, there are plenty of trails and walks that you can do within the property, if you are so inclined. If you want a guide, you will pay for it rather dearly, except for a free tour of a nearby cave. I was travelling with elderly parents and I am exceptionally lazy so we did not bother with any of these. A shame, no doubt, but there are worse shames. Instead, we did an awful lot of driving to the national parks in the extended area – the hotel is located a 2 hour drive away from: Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce National Parks, and Monument Valley, all of which are very definitely worth going to. The hotel can arrange for guided tours, but these are ludicrously expensive (as in $1/2k expesnive, which seems almost absurd to me). My recommendation would be to just drive there yourself and then, if you want a guided tour, book one there and then at a fraction of the cost. Or do it the lazy, ignorant way, like we did – drive 2 hours through the empty wilderness, get to the jaw-dropping destination, take a couple of pictures, and drive back in time for tea. There are some things to see in the immediate Page area too, most notably: (i) Lake Powell (again, the hotel can organise personalised tours at enormous costs, or you can rent your own little boat from one of the two marinas in the area for three/four hundred bucks for the entire day); (ii) Antelope Canyon (particularly Lower Antelope Canyon, which is one of the most famous and photographed slot canyons in the world; truly fantastic); and (iii) Horseshoe Bend – a jaw-dropping river cliff in the shape of a horseshoe.

SPA: the hotel has a wonderful SPA, with sauna, Turkish bath, and massage/beauty treatments. Some treatments were included in the room rates but we did not make use of them. The sauna and Turkish baths were top notch.

BMWs: as you may have read already, the hotel as a fleet of new BMWs (at the time of visit: X5s, X3s, one 6-series convertible, and a number 7-series sedans) the use of which is complimentary for four hours at the time. This is a fantastic, and fantastically clever, touch. The cars are provided by BMW America (with a half-yearly fleet rotation) and, I believe, though, again, I could be wrong, the hotel pays absolutely nothing for them (except, perhaps, for the fuel), so it's an absolute win-win situation: the hotel is seen to very generously provide a super-premium service gratis; hotel guests get to use cars that put their Ford Edge rental to shame, at no extra cost; and BMW gets marketing exposure. No doubt a scheme that will be replicated often in the future. The only problem with this is that, as most national parks essentially require the whole day (the return journey alone is 4 hours), you can't really go there with the BMWs and will need to use your own vehicle. Hence my earlier recommendation to drive, rather than, fly to the hotel. To be fair, I'm not sure whether, if you ask nicely, they will let you have the car for the whole day (either for free or at an extra cost), which may well be the case if the hotel isn't busy – so there may be a way around it if you don't want to take your own/rental car. Also, if you're there just to relax and you don't care about a driving for hours just to see a bunch of rocks (which, now that I mention it, would be perfectly understandable), then all of this is academic. In any event, even just taking one of the cars (the convertible, say) for a test drive in the area at sunset is a pleasure – there are a number of scenic view points close to the hotel.

All in all, the most scenically beautiful and atmospheric place (not just hotel) I have ever been to. Truly memorable. I weep just at the memory of it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
16 Thank TheTub
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Nice, luxurious place in an extremely quiet location. The architecture is amazing although my partner did spend our entire visit pointing out the cracks in the concrete walls! Food was very good although servers were very much inexperienced and obviously nervous when they were faced with an unusual question. We were unfortunate to visit in the middle of a dust storm so lost power for a couple of hours in the evening and given the minimalism and openness of the rooms and public areas everything also seemed to accumulate a fine covering of sand. Due to the wind (and the maintenance work being done around the area) we didn't have the privilege of trying out the pool area however the fitness centre, albeit small, was functional and fine for us given there was no-one else using it! We'd definitely look at visiting more of the Aman properties in the future... at the right price...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShonzC
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This place was incredible! The staff were very helpful and polite, and the food was to die for! We stayed here for 3 nights and felt like we had left the world behind. It was an extremely relaxing vacation and I had the best sleep there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jinjupomeroy
brooklyn, nyc
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights here and would generally agree with most comments here. Yes, the service is hit or miss. There are a number of very young employees who do appear to be in training - well intentioned, but inexperienced. Unlike some recent comments, when we stayed in October, the food was really not good at all. I ordered a tuna dish that smelled not very fresh and fishy. We had to consistently repeat our requests to the wait staff (more water, utensils, etc.). So there is definitely room for improvement.

That aside, I still give the Amangiri 5 stars because of the amazing location and views. Unlike others we took a long road trip from Colorado so we did not have the problems flying into Page airport. That being said, we did hear from multiple people who had flown in that they experienced challenges and delays. Once you arrive to the property, though, there is a lot to see in the nearby area (horseshoe bend, lake powell). Alternatively, you can simply stay put and explore the grounds around the property which are truly stunning. The quiet, serene landscape is the perfect retreat to the recharge and relax. And that pool...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank dailln4n4
Greenwich, CT
Reviewed January 11, 2014

In a nutshell, we strongly encourage you to read all of the one to three star well expressed reviews which in our opinion accurately mirror our experience.

We stayed six days at Amangiri over the Christmas through New Years time period. We previously had such a fabulous experience at Amanyara, Turks & Caicos that we decided to become Proverbial Aman junkies. However, alas, please know that Amangiri will not provide you with the five star service you deserve when paying $1,400 per night nor does it reflects a true Aman experience.

The location/room/food: unsurpassed, unprecedented scenery that words can't describe. Breathtaking surroundings everywhere; the natural beauty outside makes one dizzy. An indescribably unique swimming pool built into a huge rock that defies the imagination and which can be comfortably accessed any time of year, including in 40 degree weather. Well appointed rooms with fire pit and guaranteed solitude with stars practically in one's bed. The food was without exception tasty and well executed. Lots of snacks in the room for nighttime nibbles. The use of a BMW for a half day was a nice touch.

The staff: all young, under 25, unsophisticated, inexperienced, naive. They stand around and chat with each other. Sweet but not trained to provide a five star level of service. It felt like we were part of a college vacation break. None of the staff ever had the correct answer, or an answer, to our questions (how high do the balloons go; what time does the gym open, is there ever entertainment?). Or they had varying answers. More than half the time the waitstaff forgot to bring something obvious: butter for our toast, the requested second cup of coffee, a knife, more water, etc.. They are seriously undertrained and management told us that local staffing is an issue because the turnover is very high. The staff comes to this very remote resort to be trained and then leave.

Lost luggage: simply do not come if you live in the East Coast and have to fly to Phoenix and then to Page. There is only one flight a day from Phoenix to Page. Understand the importance of this. Our luggage not on our flight to Page and so we had to wait a full day for the next flight. Alas, the flight the next day was cancelled because "the pilot was sick". Two days without clothes! And Amangiri staff did nothing to help except on the second morning tell us we could spend $600 to have a driver pick up our luggage in Phoenix and bring it back to Amangiri. Which we paid because otherwise we would have no clothes. And, who knows if the pilot at Page was going to again call in sick the next day or more.. So, with just the clothes on our backs (note well: Aamangiri did not even offer free T shirts for sleeping or the toothpaste that we requested, just shaving cream and two shavers; we kid you not) we spent $500 on pricey spa wear, the only clothes available in the resort. Two lost, pricey days. We asked why Amangiri didn't offer to pick up our luggage for $600 the first day/immediately instead of saying they "didnt have the authority" to do so when we first reported it. The General Manager responded, "good question " which meant our raised voices the second day finally got their attention.

We won't bore you with more aggravating details about the lost luggage but please know that you are 100 per cent on your own if something goes wrong at this very remote location. The very thing that makes it special is it's true downfall. Amangiri is dependent on Great Lakes Airlines which is podunk and could care less whether they fly.

We spent plenty of spa dollars, private dining dollars, special romantic events, activity dollars, etc. at Amangiri so it couldn't be that we weren't holding up our own end of the economic equation as to why we didn't feel that we were treated to a five star experience. Management and staff are simply unsophisticated and inexperienced. Even when attempting to book this vacation months ago, Adrienne never returned our calls and e mails. Why did we have to beg her to call us back? Oops, Adrienne had three days off, that's why. And the special Horses and Dinner event that was confirmed in advance? We were told it was cancelled when we arrived. It's not our problem that staff wanted to be home during the holidays and so couldn't accommodate our anticipated Dinner. Not our problem nor should it be at these rates. It's also not our problem that it was the holiday season and "maintenance time" for the jacuzzi and steam at the spa during the holiday season. Again, not at these rates.

By the way, because of a design flaw with the wooden front doors in all rooms which expand in winter, we were literally stuck in our room more than once and had to call the engineer to get us out. This is a design issue with all guest rooms and was not fun. May we mention that earphones are not provided at the tired fitness center because "people always take them". And on and on.

Sadly, despite the extraordinary surroundings, this resort can never be perceived as offering a five star experience. Not even close. If you are from California or Nevada, drive down for an evening and perhaps the flaws won't be as noticeable. But don't even think of an extended vacation here or traveling here from the East Coast. Better yet, go to Amanyara to get what you truly deserve, a genuine Aman experience where the answer is never "no".

Room Tip: All would seem to be good. We traveled in winter. In summer it could be noisy on the terrace. Fin...