“Amazing place for Quietude” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amangiri

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Amangiri
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Big Water
Hergiswil, Switzerland
“Amazing place for Quietude”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We greatly enjoyed this place although the weaner wasn't very good. The atmosphere is most relaxing and we were discreetly surrounded by most friendly and helpful staff. Beautiful view form the desert suite fire (ethanol) to warm our feet while sitting outside (end of November!). We loved hiking on resort grounds, Terry's snake/scorpion/tarantula acquaintance, lovely dinners near the hearth, relaxing back treatment, we could have stayed here much longer and will certainly come back for horse riding, yoga, swimming and QUIETUDE!

Room Tip: Desert suite has most amazing view!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lanval

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

We really enjoyed ourselves, and would recommend a few things before going. First, we arrived November 30th and although the temperature was slated to be 8-10 degrees C every day, it was very humid and felt much colder. The grounds made up for the lack of sun and we enjoyed hiking the various "on site" trails. The grounds are glorious, even in the cold! Our photos are beautiful despite the lack of sun.

Note: I know it seems obvious, but someone should have told us to bring proper hiking boots. Running shoes are not really adequate on all of the rock trails. Also, I brought too many nice, cashmere sweaters. Best to bring rugged sweaters at this time of year and or athletic fleece and a winter coat. The weather forecast was wrong everyday. Always said sun, and the sun was only out twice over the 5 days. Generally people dress up a bit for dinner, women wore nice sweaters, and pants, and the men wore the same. I didn't see any ties, or dinner jackets.

The food was really good, and this is coming from 2 picky New Yorkers who dine out at the best of NYC restaurants. I agree though, way too much salt. I sat at the chef's table (highly recommended) and saw one of the chefs put almost 2 handfuls of salt on every dish. Just ask for less salt. Keep in mind here, EVERYTHING is made on sight. All the breads, chips, salsa, everything is made in-house, even when we ordered a boxed lunch, the beef jerky and dried fruit were house-made- amazing!! If you are into juicing, order the beet, carrot, ginger juice with your breakfast.

The "extra" trips: The Antelope Canyon tour- $650 with Raymond, was really worth the price. I had been there previously in the summer, when it is the best time to go (at noon) when there are beams of light in the slots. Our day was cold and dark, however, Raymond picked us up, took professional quality photos of us, using my Leica camera, which he knew how to work better than I! Yea, its a bit pricey, but what do you expect for hotel pick up, 4 hours of someone's time and the BEST photos ever, despite the dark day? Now, I cannot say the same about the $1000 Grand Canyon "Institute" tour. DO NOT DO!!! NOT WORTH $1000! Ok, so we had to drive ourselves in horrible fog, in the 6 series BMW with performance tires in the snow. Really should have had us take the 4x4, however, we had to pay for gas, and admission to get into the GC. Really? Should this not have been covered in the $1,000 plus tax? When we got there, at 10:30am, this woman named Slim Woodruff assumed we would be done at 1:30pm. We walked about 500 meters to some Kolb theatre and gave us a history lesson (boring), then took us for lunch at a D+ restaurant, which she weirdly took hers and stuffed into a tupperware container, AND tucked away the packed lunch the hotel made for her! I get not wasting food, but again, not what you would expect for $1k. She offered to walk us a little further or go for a hike. She knew I was really frightened of heights and took us to some spot that after the first few steps had to turn around. Not nice! My partner continued. So for $1000, I got a tour of some movie house, a bad lunch and walked about 5 minutes of the GC. We are in the process of complaining to the hotel as the "Institute" only charges $450 for a day long private tour. Not sure how the hotel is scooping $500+ for a government park activity. Anyway, I would suggest if you really want to go to the GC, borrow or rent a car, and walk around by yourself. There are plenty of signs on the site, so no need for a guide. The drive to the GC was frightening in a sports car. Had I known before I left I would have insisted on taking one of the BMW trucks. The snow and fog practically ruined the day. Considering the drive is about 6 hours return, really wasted a day we could have been enjoying the grounds of the Amangiri.

The spa: My massage, and another day, mani pedi, were great. Krista? Or Kristal? She did my mani /pedi then was the yoga instructor the next day. The yoga studio is amazing, heated floor, rocky view, did yoga twice. The yoga class with Krista was one of the best I have ever done.

The rooms: we had the Mesa view, which I recommend because our room was right next to the gym (also top notch) and spa. I would not have enjoyed walking form the other area of the hotel (desert suites) in my robe in the freezing cold, so glad we booked the Mesa suite. The room itself was true to the architecture of the hotel, cement, but cozy and warm and had an amazing view of the mesas outside. The room was very clean and not really a need to lock the door.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my vacation. The Amangiri is a great place to relax, forget about all the stresses in life and let the staff take care of you. No pressure to shop, find cabs for dinner, make reservations, everything is done for you. Last year we spent Thanksgiving in St Bart's. It was almost double the price and had way more "issues" with the hotel than the Amangiri. Also, it is kind of nice to NOT have anywhere to go. The staff were super friendly and kind and yes they made a tiny mistake or two, but that is normal when you stay at a place for 5 days. They have no attitude and make you feel warm and welcome. The Amangiri is a great place for those who want an "active" vacation. After eating a delicious meal, there are many miles of beautiful trails to walk and burn off your lunch. The pool and gym were also amazing. I will go back, but in the warmer weather. We were advised September/October is the best time to go.

Apparently there were only about 60 guests when were were there. I believe 90 or so is capacity. We saw people but were not in each other's faces as the grounds are spacious and there is a lot to do.

Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank C N
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I went with my girlfriend for an indulgent, pampering, relaxing and adventurous five days away in nature (with the comforts of an Aman). My girlfriend had been to Amangiri before, and couldn't wait to go back. This was my first time at Amangiri, but had been to Amangani (Wyoming) several years ago, which was life changing! We are both well traveled and have experienced many beautiful locations and resorts.

Amangiri is on the top of our lists for multiple reasons. First, the location is superb and unparalled. The landscape is truly stunning. The natural beauty is out of this world! I was recently in Alaska, and I equate the vastness, the awesomeness, the natural wonder to the awe I felt in Alaska (of course, in a totally different way). I always thought the desert is my least favorite environment, but the location of Amangiri has changed my view forever.

Like many Amans (as I understand it), the architecture is beautiful. But it's not only beautiful, it is totally respectful of the natural environment in which is resides. The choice of colors, materials are consistent with the landscape, and complement it perfectly. The use of indoor/outdoor space is unique and truly lovely. You never even have to leave the premises to get the sense for the nature surrounding the resort. Just look at the pictures, and it gives you a sense.

The other amazing quality of the resort is that the land all around it is absolutely stunning. You can take one of many hikes, including a beautiful slot canyon of its own, a cave, and a trail around a beautiful mountain. There are many others which we didn't even take advantage of. The choices are bountiful. Also, the trails are beautifully done - marked with stacked stone, for example, keeping in line with the Aman respect for its natural surroundings.

That said, we did leave the resort a couple times - once to tour Antelope Slot Canyon an the other to Horseshoe Bend. Both were beautiful and worth doing/seeing, but it reminded me that there are other people in the area (we got used to staying at the resort property where you don't see another soul while walking/hiking!). We also appreciated the ease and flexibility of borrowing one of Amangiri's BMWs. They have a fleet (most in a metallic golden brown color, also keeping in the theme of the environment). We took the 650i for our drives, which was lovely.

One of the things we love about Amangiri is its understated luxury. It couldn't be more high end, but you can be comfortable walking around in Patagonia/North Face type clothes the entire time. The staff is also local, casual and authentically friendly. This feels totally right to me. I'm not in the middle of nature to feel pressure to pack, dress up or be all frou-frou. I do enough of that in my every day life in LA, NY, etc. And I don't need the staff to be all uptight. I love that they too are casual, friendly, and chat with you like a person. The walls are down in a respectful, lovely, warm way.

That said, the staff is there for your every need. Every whim was met with a smile and without hesitation. My girlfriend and I could be high maintenance (in our lovely way of course ;-)). As a vegan, I have various dietary restrictions. My girlfriend has the spiciest palette on the planet. At every meal, the kitchen whipped up something special for each of us. We rarely even ordered the menu. For my girlfriend, they would bring multiple types of chopped chilis (e.g., habaneros, Thai, ghost chilis). One time, I asked for some delicious chili corn muffins they had a couple nights before and my girlfriend wanted croissants. They didn't have either, but baked them fresh, just for us. On check out, I asked for a turndown gift from the first night (we missed turndown service that night). It was a pretty dreamcatcher. My girlfriend was like, "Ooh! My kids would like that - can we get six more?" Without hesitation, we had six more dreamcatchers in 90 seconds!

Back to the food: We loved the food, the menu. We often go to resorts where you're held captive to the resort food and usually tire of it after the first couple days. Not at Amangiri! We loved the food the entire time. Not just because of the kitchen's flexibility, but we enjoyed the menu through out the day. Breakfast was delicious (huevos rancheros, yum) and diverse, lunch also had a range of choices, and dinner was lovely and more sophisticated (of course, they would make a burger if you wanted too). The highlight was the special chef's dinner we had (a benefit of the Amex Centurion card). We met Chef Shon the night before, and discussed what we like. The next night, he made a special meal just for us. He served and explained every course himself. What a treat! The meal was absolutely delicious and beautiful. At the end of the meal, he came back out and chatted with us. We discovered that Chef Shon is not only talented, but incredibly intellectually curious, philosophical, and articulate. He takes his craft very seriously, and is continuously looking to learn, grow and improve. He mentors and coaches his staff. I was truly moved and inspired (it reminded me of Jiro Dreams of Sushi - great movie, BTW, on the lessons of seeking excellence). Chef Shon really pursues excellence in his own way. After meeting him, I realized that it's not only his technical skill as a chef, but his philosophical approach and the love he puts into the process that makes the food special. We were really honored to have a special meal and understanding of the process like that.

The spa is also beautiful. It looks mysterious and feels peaceful. Just lovely. The staff there is as nice as everywhere else. Really wonderful.

Lastly, we met the General Manager, Nicholas. We first met Nicholas because he offered to drive us to the trailhead of our first hike. He was super friendly, also has an interesting background. When we saw the new teepees on property (can't wait to stay there in the summer! viva glamping), he drove us to them and we walked around. It was nice of him to take the time! Since that first meeting, we saw him every day and chatted in a personal, fun and friendly way. I love hearing about how different people live, and I'm fascinated that he's out here in such a beautiful, but remote place (he's originally from the UK). I really love this kind of interaction you can have at an Aman. Makes for a unique and special experience.

Lastly, we enjoyed the daily activities they have. Completely optional, of course, but nice to have access to. One evening, we met a wildlife expert who brought rattlesnakes, scorpions, tarantulas, and a whole assortment of other snakes (including a very large boa constrictor). We got to hold them and snuggle with the reptiles (what the heck, you only live once). Another night, telescopes were set up for stargazing with a local guide. All good fun, and educational too.

In a nutshell, I can't recommend Amangiri more highly. I travel all the time for work in major cities around the world and stay at top, large hotels. For me, the Amans/Amangiri is a treat because it's a class above the rest. It's truly understated luxury. So, leave your uptightness, suits, and impatience at home, and come to Amangiri for beautiful nature, relax, and indulge yourself in casual luxury with friendly service where your every desire will be met (or, they'll at least try darn hard!). I can't wait to go back - and will, very soon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank MunchieTraveler
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I have glanced through the many lengthy positive reviews, as well as, the few odious ones before deciding to write mine. One brief comment I can make in passing, is that several negative reviews betray a certain superficial attitude of a few foreign travelers unaccustomed to the US. Another, is that the reviewer does not appreciate the context of this resort, in as far as it meets their goals and expectations.
The guest, historically, based on previous reviews, at Amangiri, falls into two distinct categories: one is either in, or out. Architecturally, the decision is made on arrival, and any further experience is motivated strongly by the confirmation or denial of initial expectations.
The resort is located in Utah, twenty minutes from the small town of Page, Arizona. There are a few villages around the resort, but, after entering the property, even at full capacity, do not expect to see many people. This resort is designed for the guest to interact with the environment. Hiking, climbing, horseback riding, heli-tours, and other nature immersion activities are, or should be the reason for traveling here. The service is individual: you are picked up at the airport by a private car. No we didn't get the Amangiri luggage tags. I suspect, that was because the staff knows your name and the resort has only thirty or so rooms. The feeling or the atmosphere that best describes the arrangements is 'home-like.' Therefore, the menu is not huge, but, well set up for a three course dinner service. Over three or four days one can try different dishes and not run out of choices. The space is relaxed, open, and warm. The design is not quite Frank Gehry, but it is forward looking with a serious contemplation of native geography and history.
Apparently, the issues with service in previous reviews is being addressed. Considering that one is in the middle of a desert and staff are hard to come by, overall it was good, as was the kitchen. The hotel and staff make every effort for you to appreciate and fully experience the natural landscape that this Aman resort was designed for. It is a perfect getaway from the usual stress and grind. At least in November it was.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ygray
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Amangiri is THE quintessential Aman experience! I respectfully disagree with a previous reviewer who obviously is unfamiliar with the innovative Aman experience of today.

Here’s my short list:

- The Service is seamless! Seamless! Everybody does everything. Doesn’t matter who you corner to register a request, “Poof” it’s taken care of… They’ve thought of EVERYTHING, from special shoes to indulge in hiking, climbing and cliff jumping to micro-greens from a local hydroponic grower. Flabbergasting to have absolutely nothing to worry about…

- The physical exquisiteness of Amangiri’s architecture is beautifully tailored to the landscape, and somehow improves on it. Aesthetically pleasing and yet comfortable – not easy to achieve in the high desert.

- The cuisine was outstanding (and this is coming from a San Francisco foodie) – I sat at the chef’s table one night and watched him sous vide the chicken. And the wines – the sommelier introduced me to a Napa wine that I hadn’t encountered, and which has become a new favorite – not bad for a dry (or barely moist) state like Utah.

- All that is topped off by the amazing experiences that the staff has designed – they have a long list of suggestions – both on property (the hotel is on hundreds of acres, criss-crossed with trails) and off property (it’s within easy driving distance of the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Lake Powell and Monument Valley, just to hit the high points). And it’s easy to customize – when I asked about hiking (literally) off the beaten path, the guide took me trekking in an untouched slot canyon near the hotel. The Via Ferratas on property are a highlight as well – “iron roads” (or really ladders) up the side of rocky bluffs around the hotel – it’s a unique opportunity to do rock climbing within easy distance of an expertly mixed margarita.

Amangiri surprised me by exceeding my expectations. If you’re like me you think you’ve already experienced a singularly great escape. After all, you do the research, you invest the time. You talk to trusted, discerning friends and they give you their unvarnished opinions. You see through all the wanton exclusivity, marketing fluff and fully funded advertisements. You’re a seasoned, cynical traveler with discriminating tastes and you know it’s it when you see it. You don’t suffer fools because you’ve been to many other Aman Resorts. Of course, I’m describing myself up until a couple months ago. Today, many of my conversations begin with, “And, then I went to Amangiri on a whim… “

The first indication I was going someplace beyond the great unknown was when I chose the seat for my flight: “mailbag or chickens”. My first thought was where am I going to find a leather aviator hat and goggles on such short notice, the adult diapers I already have in bulk. My very next thought was what the hell have I gotten myself into; I soon found out. The OTIS repair guy has nothing on the airlines that service Page, Arizona. Flying through the clouds, sharing the contents of my stomach with the geese migrating south, why do I always think puddle jumper crashes are infinitely more survivable than any other. I digress.

There’s the distant planet-scape that’s out in the middle of nowhere and then there’s the high desert of North Rim of the Grand Canyon. All the postcards come alive like in “Night At The Museum”. All the vistas in the movies set on Mars are scattered out before you to ponder (I mean why, why did they think they could release “John Carter”). Every cowboy fantasy Western, well c’mon do I really have to go there…childhood dreams come true.

What I’m trying to get at (and failing miserably) is how could anything measure up to that landscape. It’s not my first time in the travel rodeo (translation: circus). I’ve been burned by idyllic tropical water pictures and glowing reviews before; only to find that that form of eco-travel should come with its own well stocked pharmacy and medical plan.

Egads, I’m doing it again.

I figured that an Aman in the middle of nowhere, in the United States, and in the wilds of southern Utah couldn’t attract the highest quality, pioneering, on the cusp professionals (I actually edited the adjective list down on final edit) I had gotten complacent with in my previous experiences. And, wait for it…OMG was I wrong!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

This was without doubt the loveliest hotel I have stayed in. The setting is incomparable but the level of service, the comfort of the bed and the kindness of the staff made for an irresistible combination.
Thanks to everyone who made my stay so memorable.

Room Tip: There cannot be any bad rooms but one couple I met had a bed that was open to the stars which sounds...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Woodbridge, Ct
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We have stayed at many other Aman properties in Asia. We were very excited to visit this gorgeous resort in a beautiful part of our own country. However, if you are a seasoned Aman traveller, you will be disappointed. The resort is run by a very enthusiastic bunch of young people who seem to be straight out of either hospitality or culinary school. There is no management presence. We kept on asking "who is the manager?" There is no one that comes around at dinner and inquires about your stay. The best part of the stay is the scenery and hiking. However anything you want to do (even the Via Ferrata on property) is exhorbitantly priced... $550 for 3 hours?? We did a wonderful 3 hour tour of the slot canyons with a Navaho guide, but that was priced at $700!! All in all a beautiful place to stay. Just expect to spend lots of money. They don't even give you the Aman luggage tags that other Amans do!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have beautiful views!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Days Inn & Suites Page Lake Powell
La Quinta Inn & Suites Page at Lake Powell
Best Western View of Lake Powell Hotel
Best Western Plus at Lake Powell

Been to Amangiri? Share your experiences!