“Peace”

and 1 more site!
Amangiri
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Big Water
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our entire Amangiri experience was perfection - serene desert landscapes, hardy hikes, world class spa, top notch food, genuinely friendly service, a zen-like peace at the departure. Yes you pay very dearly for this sort of perfection so DO NOT even contemplate staying there unless you are able to separate from those sorts of considerations. My only hesitation is writing a review is in broadcasting publicly what I'd like to believe is my secret spot, though I know it's not.

Room Tip: All the rooms are extremely private
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ahjdgr8npwrfl

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We are a small Danish family (2 adults, one 12 yo) who are struggling to come back to the real world after spending 4 nights at Amangiri.
We do not feel that a "5" will do this place justice. It is simply beyond comparison.
This was our first Aman experience, so we're not able to compare this to other Aman properties - but we are unable to see what more could have been added to our stay in terms of service, luxury and overall experience.
At arrival we were greeted by GM and several staff members, given a tour of the property while sipping hot apple cider. We had booked a Mesa View Suite. Everything in the suite was beautiful and well designed. The bed was comfy, the extra bed for our daughter was too. The bathroom - oh, wow, the view from bathtub and showers! and the sage bath products were so lovely. But the best feature in the suite was that we could open up the entire front window and sit in the sun, feeling totally alone in the desert while enjoying a book, the view and the fireplace.
We were staying while Amangiri offered the Winter Package with 3 daily meals included. Having read some bad descriptions the food we did not expect much, but we were blown away by the quality of the food. Do not believe the bad reviews, the food is outstanding. We did not have one bad or even disappointing meal during our stay, and staying here for 4 days meant that we got to taste quite a lot of the food offered. We are BIG foodies, so trust us: the food is just as lovely as the property.
We are a family who really enjoy life and love to travel, eating good food and staying at fine hotels, but we have to compromise. We do not spend much money on expensive clothes etc. We were a bit worried that we would feel out of place at Amangiri. If you are worrying about the same; don't! This place is so relaxed - no white table cloths, no stiff attitude. You can wear whatever you like. Whether you want to wear a fabulous dress for dinner or take lunch wearing your hiking gear you will feel comfortable. We did not feel out of place at all. Every member of the staff added to the relaxed atmosphere.
The staff - oh, thanks everyone! You do a tremendously good job, we could not figure out how you do it - remembering our names, preferences, little things - everyone was friendly and efficient and professional and just exceptional.
We also did the two complimentary hikes, really enjoyed both and the guides were awesome. We (the adults) also got to try the spa and both had a massage, which we so enjoyed. The complimentary yoga classes were a real treat and added to the relaxed, great feeling you have while staying here. We had all sorts of plans to visit Bryce Canyon and Zion NP, but we ended up driving to Lake Powell and that was about it. The property itself is simply too good to leave. We also enjoyed star gazing in the evening (Amangiri provides a guide and a huge telescope) and one afternoon we got to learn about the wildlife living in the desert.
Okay, this is a very expensive experience. As former reviewer has said: Do not book a stay here unless you are prepared to take out a huge chunk of your savings! Having said that, we felt that it was worth every penny. The number of rooms is very small (only 34, I think), the maintenance is impeccable, the quality of EVERYTHING is truly the best. Add to that the number of highly qualified staff members and you figure out why you have to pay that much.
One thing that confused us that I remember one other reviewer mentioning: The housekeeping is added extra to the bill. I've never seen this before. Why is it not just included in room rate? I hope that this means that housekeeping staff is well paid, they sure did a very, very good job every day.
To sum it up: The setting and architecture is fabulous, so is the spa, the pool, the fitness room and of course, the suite itself. The touch, feel, smell and look of everything is amazing. Amangiri is a true feast for all senses.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank katrineCPH
Reviewed March 5, 2013

There should be no reviews but just admiration. This is a place to get away , truly. Incredible is all I can say. The only true southwestern experience left. Scottsdale has become a smaller phoenix, Tucson has none of this magnificence. You will pay a lot so do not approach unless quite ready for it, but it deserves every penny. Please notice that the canyon picture is from Bryce, that is quite a distance from here. I like amangiri in amangiri place, did not need to leave at all.
From a very experienced world traveler

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Pathgdp
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hubby got a super nice guitar and Oahu for his last birthday. This birthday he got a retreat and a nice watch (while I got Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, and the Horseshoe Bend). The experience started with the gated entrance, the private drive to the hotel, and the welcoming apple cider.

Hubby loved the floatation therapy (thank you Anthony) and I had one of the best massages ever. I like how the massage table can be adjusted to contour your body and the warm sage neck rest was lovely. We both enjoyed the private jacuzzi at the spa after our sessions.

I was worried from the previous reviews about the food. Fortunately ... every bite was amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed the Nigerian shrimps, caviar, fried mushrooms. Hubby loved the bison. Everything from the kitchen was perfect except for the whiskey. It was ordered neat but brought with ice. It bothered hubby quite a bit but I'm not deducting a star because it didn't affect me. He's overly too nice and didn't want to complain. The staff offered to pack us lunch after check out but I didn't think it was necessary. However, I wish I had accepted the offer since it was a couple hours drive back to Flagstaff to catch our flight.

We came back to our room after dinner to find a few surprises. Lovely touches from the staff.

The bed was super comfortable. However the pillows were too soft with no neck support. I'm sure they would have given me a firmer pillow if I had asked.

The pool was welcoming even in the cold weather. I think other guests and the staff thought we were crazy to use the pool during this time of the year. Even Hubby thought we were insane.

The courtesy BMW car was super fun. and I LOVE the luggage tag. May be can I can start a luggage tag collection from all the Aman resorts.

Thank you so much for an amazing experience and we'll definitely return for a longer stay next time. We are looking forward to Wyoming to try another Aman resort.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linhy2000
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

There were seven of us for lunch. The food was delicious as was the presentation . Kelsey served us tasty wraps, wonderful soups and savory pasta. Included were generous helpings of their homemade salsa, guacamole and colorful chips. A truly memorable meal.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Even if all you do is hike around the property and go out to see the sunset and the stars, you will feel this is amazingly worth it. The hikes right out the door were incredible, full of history and natural wonders and the nearby slot canyons and dirt roads for bicycling were fantastic. The food was excellent and the main lodge area was very comfortable. Walking to dinner along the candlelit path with glimpses of the desert and sunset were stunning. The room and view from it was beautiful, and the bed was extremely comfortable. The spa looks great, but book ahead; they were full when we got there. Two visits and we'll be back for more.

Room Tip: Regular rooms are great.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mathcalifornia
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon and had a fantastic time. We selected the terrace suite as we wanted a bit more outside space. This was a mistake, with hindsight, as the view is just of the escarpment behind which was a bit disappointing and the terrace did not appear to be that much larger than the standard suites. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful and wonderfully maintained. The attention to detail is incredible and the views are amazing. It really is one of the most architecturally fantastic hotels we have ever stayed in. It is an experience in itself to stay here. The pool was also great, however, it was very busy when we were there so other couples who arrived at the pool late were struggling to get loungers but we never had an issue. The only thing which really disappointed us was the food. We thought the portions were small, the quality wasn't great, there wasn't much choice and it was incredibly overpriced. We ended making the drive into Page every night to eat and actually really enjoyed eating at some of the restaurants there.

For other potential honeymooners, there was practically no acknowledgement of the fact it was our honeymoon unlike the Amangani where we also stayed later in the trip which gave us an amazing welcome.

In summary, a fantastic but expensive hotel to which I would love to return, however, I would skip the overpriced food.

Room Tip: Do not choose the terrace suite if you want a view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sleep Inn & Suites
#12 of 24 in Page
La Quinta Inn & Suites Page at Lake Powell
Best Western Plus at Lake Powell

Been to Amangiri? Share your experiences!