“My #2 choice to eat in Wylie.”

Ballard Street Cafe & Grill
Ranked #1 of 62 Restaurants in Wylie
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Longview, Texas
“My #2 choice to eat in Wylie.”
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

When visiting Wylie Ballard's is my #2 choice to eat, not because they're not good, they are especially their chicken fried steak & their breakfast. Pancakes a good choice any time of day.
Service typically good when the place is not packed during breakfast or dinner, wait staff can occasionally fall behind when customer can't decide what to order or because everyone knows each other & there's a little to much visiting going on but you have to understand the waitstaff work hard to earn good tips & to please you. Friday nights are busy one reason is because a lot of the locals, visitors & member of the Wylie Opry eat & visit with each other before the Opry begins & they can just walk across the street for the show. If Taste of Home wasn't Trip Advisors #1 restaurant in Wylie, Ballard's sure enough wood be & to many customers, Ballard's is #1.
Enjoy!
Wendy Gill
Longview, Tx.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Wenpooh68

Plano, Texas
“Relatively inexpensive, pretty good & good service.”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I had the center cut grilled pork chops & asked for them pretty well done. Salad w/French dressing, mashed potatoes, carrots & water w/lemon. $8 to $9 so $11 w/ tip.
This was a filling good meal. The pork chops were well (if you dropped them on the floor, they would break) which is exactly how I like them but they used a mildly Teriyaki flavored marinade & I will skip that next time if I can. The carrots were canned and the mashed potatoes were OK. They use Kraft French dressing and bagged iceberg lettuce. I asked for crackers and got them. My daughter got catfish & her hushpuppies were under cooked.
This really was a home-cooked meal @ my house when I was growing up. My Mom felt that if the meat didn't break instead of cut, it was not done enough.
I gave the café a 4 because of the downhome ambience and the good service we received. The people were simply nice.
I will go back but I think I'll get breakfast.

• Visited February 2014
“Great find!”
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Had breakfast and it was very good, this was our first visit to a Ballard Cafe. We will definitely go back to try one of the specials. The staff was very friendly and attentive .

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Clarkgal1
“Made from scratch..I doubt it.”
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife talked me into trying this place. Growing up on a family farm I know what home cooked food is. This was & is not home cooked. The chicken fried steak was like a pre made patty with breading on it you can by at Brookshires, the mashed potatoes was instant made and the corn was about average for can corn. I was very extremely disappointed. What a waste of money & time.

1 Thank Fieldman80
Mesquite, Texas
“My Favorite Burger!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

This is my favorite burger! We enjoy everything on the menu. Also enjoyed the fried mushrooms. Always worth the drive from Mesquite. Now if only someone else could drive so I could take a nap.

• Visited August 2013