“Grievous Mistake”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Woodway
George West, Texas
“Grievous Mistake”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Parents week-end at Baylor University makes finding a room problematic in the Waco area. I did not early book because of medical circumstances.When I was able to make a plan, I could only obtain a room by booking for two nights and the only room available was a two room suite. It was pricey. However, when I looked at the rates on the room door the posted cost for one person was 199.00. I was charged $265.00 each night of my stay. My husband had died 17 days earlier. I asked for smaller accomodations for Friday night explaining that my daughter, son-in-law and two young grandchildren would not arrive until Saturday afternoon and I was alone for Friday night.. No rooms were said to be available. , which I understood. However, I could not understand why the Manager was unyielding in allowing me the one person rate for Friday night and charging me above the posted rate for both nights.The highest posted rate was 259.00 They made their money from my Friday night stay to be sure. One widow, one bed, one towel , no maid service on Saturday morning and a breakfast of Rasin Bran, coffee and juice.
I know it's business; but, to this lone traveler it felt like price gouging at a very personal level when fees did NOT reflect those posted on the hotel room door. Don't expect empathy from the managment or a fair deal. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank crickettiley
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Woodway Waco South Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear crickettiley,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I travel to Waco once a month and when I cant get into the Springhill Suites I stay here. The hotel is very clean, and I have always found the staff to be very nice. The rooms are just smaller than the springhill and the pillows I find to be terrible just nothing to them at all. I wish they had a bar so I could enjoy a drink after a long day. Other than that the breakfast is not the best, but its free with your stay so I cant complain too much. Very local to other restaurants etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
London
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here for seven nights on business. Hotel seems new.

Location convenient, being in Waco at junction of routes 6 and 340 and just off I35 but you can't walk anywhere and need a car to get to the nearest restaurant or shop.

Nice welcome and I was given a bottle of water and a pack of peanuts when I arrived. There’s a ‘help-yourself’ pop-corn trolley in reception in the evenings.

Room was good Holiday Inn standard, comfortable bed, good bathroom, good size. Internet access was free and fast. Free buffet breakfast was good.

Not really much else to say, have no complaints, it was what I wanted and so was well satisfied.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in 2 queen bed room with my 7 year old son. Room was exceptionally clean and tidy. Good easy location right off 35 and the 340 loop, lots of food close by. Beds were comfy but on the former side, I like that but some won't. Breakfast was standard HIE and well serviced. WiFi worked well even on top floor.

Some issues:
--pool is very cold. Even the hot tub isn't as hot as you would expect. Also there are no lights in the pool area so once it got dark we had to go. Looked everywhere for a light switch.
--toilet in our room, the flushing handle snapped off. I just opened the tank and manually lifted the bar and it's a simple fix, but it happened.
--it's apparently policy to shut off AC when room is cleaned. Our room was 89 degrees inside when we first got in. It cools just fine but that really is an unpleasant welcome and it taxes the hell out of the HVAC units.

• Stayed August 2012
Alvin, Texas
Reviewed May 5, 2012

My family and I stayed here while in Waco for a State track meet. The hotel was very clean inside and out. It is easy to access and a quiet area. The personnel at the front desk was very friendly. Our room was on the top floor almost at the end of the hall so it was fairly quiet. The room was very clean. The breakfast was all fresh and tasted great. My only complaint would be the beds. This is our second stay at a Holiday Inn Express in the past three weeks and the beds at both locations are very firm. Some may like this, but they are a little too hard for me. I would definitly consider staying in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Top floor end of the hall will cut down on any noise from other guest.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Tejas
Reviewed April 30, 2012

unethical and rude front desk lady, luckily the mgr has some sense

Room Tip: higher floors make up for the small size of motel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Abdul F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Woodway Waco South Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Abdul F,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the service received from our front desk staff. We are happy you were able to speak with a manager regarding your experience. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We visited the hotel on a trip to Waco for a Baylor basketball game and stayed one night. It is located in a convenient location - only 5-10 minutes away from Baylor, and near the mall and the Hollywood movie theater. The heat worked well in the room and the room was nice and clean. We had a room with a wet bar in it, which cost $10 more for something I really didn't want, but that was all that was left when I booked it.

The pool is indoors and good sized; the fitness center is a little sparse, with only a few pieces of equipment, but about what you would expect for this class of hotel. The beds are firm and I have read some other reviews that didn't like them, but they were fine for us.

The hair dryer in the bathroom did keep cutting out when my wife was trying to dry her hair in the morning. We reported it to the front desk on our way out and they promised to look into it. That was about the only problem we ran into during our stay.

Breakfast was good and the staff did a good job of keeping the breakfast area stocked, even as the weekend breakfast time neared closing time. This is our second time staying at this hotel and we have been happy. I like the pancake machines which make one pancake at a time, fresh and hot. The only issue is it takes a while to make each one and is hard to wait for one when they are busy.

Overall, it was a nice place to stay at a good rate. The staff seemed to be helpful but we really didn't have any problems that would have tested them. We plan to go back again if we find ourselves in Waco.

Room Tip: Our room faced HWY 84 amd we had no problems with road noise, so the only tip we can offer is to boo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodway
Home2 Suites by Hilton Waco
La Quinta Inn & Suites Woodway - Waco South
SpringHill Suites Waco Woodway
Comfort Suites Waco
Comfort Suites Waco
#10 of 30 in Waco
Comfort Suites Waco North
Quality Inn & Suites Near University

Been to Best Western Plus Woodway Waco South Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!