“not worth it”

Port Neches, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not worth it”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

me and my wife went there and could not get waited on for the "all you can eat" as far as the mixed race couple playing the race card I think you are wrong as we are both white and were treated the same way. as far as the peach cobbler I don't know as I could never get any. this place really sucks

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank corey f

Coldspring, Texas
“Met My Expectations”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

First let me address a "racism" accusation in an earlier review. Having seen that, I was very surprised when I entered the restaurant. The staff was mixed race. even some individual members of the staff were mixed race! The clientele was also mixed including not only Blacks and Whites, but also Asian and Native Americans. I saw nothing that would indicate any sort of racial bias, preference or tension.
The food was good. The fried chicken was excellent. The sides were mixed. Neither my wife nor I liked the greens much. We liked the mashed potatoes and gravy. We REALLY liked the chicken and dumplings. The Lima beans were just "OK", You walk in, you pay. you sit down and your food is brought to your table. They bring some of everything, the amount depends on the size of your party. If you finish and want more, you need only ask. The quantities were ample, not excessive. I did not leave hungry.
I also saw mention, in another review, of the cobbler being from "Sam's". In my estimation this was not the case. My wife thought it might not be sweet enough. I really liked it. the crust was crisp, not even slightly soggy. Over all, I thought this was a good value for money. The food was good, wholesome and plentiful. If you leave hungry, it is YOUR fault.
By the way, the establishment is cash only. No plastic accepted.

5 Thank bureaucrat377
“Country Cooking”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Interesting boarding house experience in rural Texas. All you can eat for one price of a fixed menu. Can't go wrong as long as you enjoy fried chicken, mashed potatoes, greens, etc.. Good place to take visitors that are very hungry because it is not light fare.

• Visited March 2013
Houston, Texas
“Facinating environment and good food”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I visited Pickett House about a week ago with a friend. For $9.60 I had iced tea, dumplings, delicious fried chicken, greens, mashed potatoes, cole slaw and fresh homemade rolls and cornbread. The chicken was the best. The vegies were average tasting. The mashed potatoes need a little work. The rolls are ok but need some taste enhancement. I have to say the service wasn't the best. It seemed they would drop off the food and you had to go hunt for more. The environment was really unique with antique circus poster in frames on the walls. They request you take you dirty dishes and silver to a window and give it to the person washing the dishes after you finish your food. I didn't mind that. So...the service could be much better. The food (Except for the chicken!) needs a taste enhancement. The price is right!

1 Thank Acklafan
Baytown, Texas
“It is Home Cooking you want all the Time but Shouldn't!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

When you enter this place there is a sign that informs patrons that it is a boarding house type restaurant which means you pay, sit at a table with possibly strangers that will be friendly, and the meal is served family style. It is usually fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, a vegetable, and beans, along with fresh biscuits or cornbread with a cobbler for dessert. The food is good and the place is clean and draws people from all over for lunch, especially on the weekends. It is a great place and a lot of fun.
Now I have to tell you. I read a previous review that made a comment on racism. That would be a load of garbage. The young man that picked me up was not white, the lady that waited on me was not white, and the cooks in the back are not white.(THANK GOD,THAT IS PROBABLY WHAT MAKES THE FOOD SO GOOD)At this point I guess the person looking for a racial problem would say yes, but they work there. Maybe, but the 6'4" black Jamaican sitting across the table from me along with my bearded friend from Lebanon had no issues here. It was enjoyed by all and as a matter of fact, I think they may have been friendlier to my friends than me. Figure that out.
My advise is to go there if you want. There was nobody in my party that felt out of place and maybe my review title should have been "STUPIDITY IS ALIVE AND WELL"

1 Thank cokerbud