Pickett House Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I visited Pickett House about a week ago with a friend. For $9.60 I had iced tea, dumplings, delicious fried chicken, greens, mashed potatoes, cole slaw and fresh homemade rolls and cornbread. The chicken was the best. The vegies were average tasting. The mashed potatoes need a little work. The rolls are ok but need some taste enhancement. I have to say the service wasn't the best. It seemed they would drop off the food and you had to go hunt for more. The environment was really unique with antique circus poster in frames on the walls. They request you take you dirty dishes and silver to a window and give it to the person washing the dishes after you finish your food. I didn't mind that. So...the service could be much better. The food (Except for the chicken!) needs a taste enhancement. The price is right!

1  Thank Acklafan

Reviewed April 7, 2013

When you enter this place there is a sign that informs patrons that it is a boarding house type restaurant which means you pay, sit at a table with possibly strangers that will be friendly, and the meal is served family style. It is usually fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, a vegetable, and beans, along with fresh biscuits or cornbread with a cobbler for dessert. The food is good and the place is clean and draws people from all over for lunch, especially on the weekends. It is a great place and a lot of fun.
Now I have to tell you. I read a previous review that made a comment on racism. That would be a load of garbage. The young man that picked me up was not white, the lady that waited on me was not white, and the cooks in the back are not white.(THANK GOD,THAT IS PROBABLY WHAT MAKES THE FOOD SO GOOD)At this point I guess the person looking for a racial problem would say yes, but they work there. Maybe, but the 6'4" black Jamaican sitting across the table from me along with my bearded friend from Lebanon had no issues here. It was enjoyed by all and as a matter of fact, I think they may have been friendlier to my friends than me. Figure that out.
My advise is to go there if you want. There was nobody in my party that felt out of place and maybe my review title should have been "STUPIDITY IS ALIVE AND WELL"

1  Thank cokerbud
Reviewed April 3, 2013

a wonderful place to meet and chat with strangers while having some good southern favorites. Nice walking gardens and museum

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I live in Jasper Texas and have been to the Pickett House in Woodville on many occassions. I am going back today for my birthday and wanted to see what events were going on at the adjoining Heritage Village when I came across this site and saw some negative comments. That's when I had to stop and give my review because I love it! It is very inexpensive yet the food is always delicious and plentiful. My most recent visit was with my family, a racially mixed group and we could not have been treated better, in my opinion. The Heritage Village is a reincarnate old Texas town with great interesting historical buildings and those buildings are filled with antiquities of the time. As I said, I am on my way to enjoy my birthday there so I definitely endorse it for others!

1  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We come south heading to Lake Charles, went to the Pickett House on way down and yesterday on our way to OK. We love this place, food is good, place clean and people very nice. We always go away just totally stuffed. They keep your plate full if you want it. As for the cobbler, I was so stuffed but I wouldn't pass it up for anything, it is great. We just plain love it.

1  Thank Patti P