“Great time, but depends on your expectations”

The Lodge at Cypress Falls
Ranked #7 of 19 Wimberley B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Went there for a friend's wedding. All the young folks stayed at The Lodge where the ceremony, reception, and after party were also held. I had a great time b/c for one the surrounding area was beautiful. Especially if you live in a big city surrounded by pavement and freeways and boring looking suburbs, Wimberley is a nice place to visit to get away, the type of place where you see deer in the morning. We went to see "the cave" and climbed a tall hill nearby-- it's not Machu Pichu but just peaceful, serene. I read all the negative reviews and I get what people are saying-- no this is not a 5 star hotel. Clearly the building was built awhile ago, but as another reviewer said about the negative reviews, clearly they didn't do their research. I feel like you can't judge The Lodge with those expectations in mind. This is the equivalent of going to a mom and pop or dive instead of a chain restaurant. In addition, the staff were very friendly, pretty much what you'd expect from a small town. Real people, no BS, and they'll help out whatever way they can. I know I am not giving The Lodge its proper due-- I mean the ceremony was beautiful, rustic, the whole weekend felt very *personal* and I know the couple was very happy with the outcome-- but I want to be realistic. Some people like the glitz of Vegas and they get the newest gadgets and they would never eat out of a food truck. Which is fine, but those people have hotels for them and they are called Marriotts. However if you can appreciate things that aren't brand new, if you like finding diamonds in the rough, if you know how to keep a good attitude and have fun with the people you're with, if you prefer quirky and unique over shiny and predictable, check out The Lodge. (I never sleep well in hotels, even the nice ones in Vegas, so keep that in mind with my 3/5 for sleep quality) Thank you guys for treating us so well, it was a real treat and made me want to go off the beaten path more often. Wish you the best <3

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank ima texan k
There are newer reviews for The Lodge at Cypress Falls

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed for a family wedding. My feelings:
Pros: Outdoor wedding setting under the large oak trees by Cypress Creek was a very pretty setting. At night the large oaks by the outdoor dance and bar area were lit up with white lights which was also very pretty. Lots of seating. Friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were clean.

Cons: The cost: $99/night, however, we were discounted $10 for the wedding. Cancellation policy is steep-- "...upon making your reservation, you will be charged a $50 deposit per room. If a cancellation is made less than 14 days prior to your stay, you will be charged the full rate of your room rate plus tax."
I'm sorry but the inside had an odor--maybe if they replaced the carpet with tile or wood it would improve not only the smell but also the looks of the place. New curtains, wood accents/trim, would help. Yes, the furniture was antique-ish, the rooms were cold and no tubs, just showers. We did have a plug in the bathroom which was part of the light fixture (the front desk will supply an extension cord, if needed). A relative had trouble with their bathroom door sticking--so bad someone had to push against the door on the outside to open it. We did not have that problem. In our room, the cord for the TV ran under the carpet, which I think can be a fire hazard? Our view was condos built behind the wing where we stayed. The rooms are poorly insulated--could hear everything going on around us.

With some remodeling/updating, this could possibly be a really cute, cozy place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I can tell by any bad reviews, the people did not do their research on Wimberley or The Lodge. This place is NOT a B&B and that's not what I was expecting anyways. I got exactly what I wanted staying at The Lodge at Cypress Falls: a pool to swim in, tennis courts to play on, my kids played shuffle board near the pool, wi-fi in the lobby, we dropped our bags and got back to the basics TOGETHER. The rooms temps were easily adjusted by the staff if needed. We were comfortable the entire time but I did hear a couple with a young child ask to have the A/C turned up a little. It's TX, asking for it to be warmer IS NOT a problem. The furniture was period furniture, the place was built in 1949 and actually has a great history- just ask the staff. This is STILL a centerpiece of the Wimberley community and has one of the most scenic parts of Cypress Creek on the property. If you would like to go stay at the Hilton and be pampered and served all weekend- stay out of WImberley period. If you would like some good old family fun and hometown service....The Lodge at Cypress Falls is your spot!

Room Tip: The right side of the hallway is pool side the left is not. No views of the creek from the rooms but...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LynnseyHastie
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Love the small town feel of Cypress Falls. The swimming hole is great amenity!! Recommend to all travelers who want a small town vibe with great facilities!!! The staff is very friendly an focused on providing great service!! Only complaint would be room service (food wise).

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank texasflower33322
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I photographed the entire establishment, met the staff and other guests and could not have asked for a better reception. We will make this a regular vacation every year, but next time I will encourage a family reunion! The actually have beautiful waterside weddings, a bar and dance floor. VERY ROMANTIC!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank BeckinAZ
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I can think of lots of reasons not to stay here, but not any to do so. Service was poor, room was freezing (62 degrees and rooms are on block heating/ac so you can t adjust it), continental breakfast was plain bagels and coffee that s it not even butter or cream cheese to put on them, the pool is used by the community so it was always full and often there were classes being held there, tennis courts also used by the community
I would never stay here again. Wimberley is a cute little town. Pay a little more and stay somewhere else.
The only reason I m giving this place two stars instead of one is at least the room was clean. Our beds weren't made. There was no water pressure. Carpet was dirty. I could go on...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is an old property which the new owners are trying to revive. The facilities for the wedding were charming with indoor and outdoor venues. The rooms attached to the banquet facilities left a lot to be desired! Furniture is very shabby and mismatched with worn and soiled carpet. Water pressure poor with lack of outlets in the bathroom. You needed to ask for many things, such as hair dryers, but they were delivered promptly. Our beds were not made on one of the days. If the room price was $50 or less I would not complain, but for $99, it did not meet expectations.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wimberley
Candlewood Suites
7A Resort
7A Resort
#1 of 7 in Wimberley
BellaVida Bed and Breakfast Retreat Center

Been to The Lodge at Cypress Falls? Share your experiences!