“permanent resident”

Sunset Harbor Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Willis
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I live here on a permanent basis, and most reviews are correct. However, as of April 1st 2013 there has been new management brought in. There have been major repairs to all docks, the tiki bar is under reconstruction and the paddle boat is now up and running. The bar inside of the clubhouse is open on weekends. I think prior management had been here too long and just did not care about the property anymore. When you step over the same beer bottle on the sidewalk for 3 weeks in a row, something is wrong. I am awaiting the conclusion of all repairs before I make a decision on signing a new lease. But all is not well yet,
we will just see if this new management keeps thier promises.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
15  Thank Doreen D

Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here overnight after a business party, so we had very limited perspective. The room was ok. The door was difficult to lock, the jets didn't work on the tub, the power went out in the room for about 20 minutes, there was no tv, couldn't make coffee in the morning because there was no cream and sugar, there were too few pillows, and we had to wait around for them to open for check out because there was no place to leave the key. We got a pretty decent discount, or else it would have been extremely irritating...but the room was overall pretty decent....just lots of glitches!!

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Hestian6150
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed the week of Thanksgiving.
Pros:
Nice pool - cold, but it was clean (or appeared to be) and my daughter liked the novelty of jumping into the very cold water.
Unit size - we reserved a two-bedroom, but after I requested something bigger, they gave us a unit that had three. Core unit was fully furnished two-bedroom. With adjoining locking door and second outside entrance, it opened into a studio/in-law unit (another full bath and basically full kitchen). Very spacious.
Kitchen - appliances in good condition, all basics included except for a wine bottle opener
Laundry - lovely to have this
View - very good, directly onto the lake
Neighborhood - easy to get around, good for dog walking
Dogs - they accept pets with a fee, for which we were grateful. (Not so great: we are diligent about picking up after our dogs, and were totally surprised that several others didn't think this necessary.)

Cons:
Balcony was a mess. I went to the office the first morning and asked to have someone come and clean it. Had it been an "easy wipe" job, I would have done it, but there was no way I had the tools for what this mess needed. Sadly, no one could come until Monday, so I asked to have supplies delivered. I got a bottle of spray cleaner and a kitchen mop. Totally ineffective for the job at hand. No one ever did come back to check, and the one thing I really wanted to do was sit on the porch and read - didn't happen the whole week. The porch was filled with spider webs, dirty chairs and table (I did wipe these down, but considering the rest of the space...). I grew up in the country and am not at all squeamish about this sort of thing. I like spiders and don't mind the web or two, but it was obvious that no attention at all had been paid to this space. It was about the dirt.

Master bathroom drain was disgusting. It wouldn't drain. I also reported this, but it wasn't until Wednesday (arrived previous Friday afternoon, reported Saturday) that the maintenance man came to fix it. He wasn't told until Wednesday morning after I reminded the staff Tuesday night. He was incredibly gracious about it, but, admittedly, it was very unpleasant.

Miscellaneous:
Bring your own laundry soap (I didn't expect this to be provided, just a reminder to those getting ready to go)
They supplied one coffee filter, but then you were on your own. I went to the office and they did deliver filters to us for the week.
Ants in the kitchen, when we baked biscuits and I didn't get to clean the pan quickly enough! This is fairly common (ants, not my delay in cleaning), but I suggest bringing a few plastic bins that seal for any extra food you bring that won't fit in the fridge.
Dish soap and dishwasher soap - dish soap was available, machine soap was not
General soap supplies for the bath were provided.
Parking lot was never full.
Lighting seemed reasonable.
Guard house is not manned (didn't really expect it, but in case you might be)
Staff: I saw mixed reviews about the staff prior to traveling. I worked in hospitality for years, so tend to be sugary sweet, sincerely so, as I want staff to know I do appreciate their work. I know it can be difficult to handle. However, I do understand some of the complaints of other guests. There is a general sense of disorder. The front desk just doesn't appear professional in presentation or organization. Apathy? No delegation? Clouded vision after only seeing a space one way for such a long time?

I don't really know what day-to-day management handles. The place could generally be given a huge makeover and be a spectacular destination. There is a photo online of a staircase in the main building - not incredibly impressive. However, when we stood at the top of the staircase, we were stunned when we saw the view of the lake, totally unobstructed, and stared in awe and wonder just considering the possibilities. The view was spectacular!

Overall, it wouldn't be our first choice for a return destination unless we had some general assurances about the status of the unit.

We live just over an hour away and have marked the GPS for a BBQ shack, even has drive-up window, called Texan (with s? can't remember). Delicious!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank A S
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed for 3 days as a family reunion. The rooms were clean and staff friendly. However, it is obvious that a major infusion of capital is needed. The Tiki room was closed so no restaurant/bar on site. The carpet was stained and needed to be replaced. Previous emails referenced issues with toilet paper which was not the case. However, there is minimal towels, dishes, etc. and the ones provided are threadbare. Exercise equipment was functional, but needs replacement. Location is beautiful and pool is fantastic if you are looking for a nice quiet place for a vacation. No activities on site as the paddle boat only runs on certain days. There is a lot of potential in the property if it was upgraded and advertised

Room Tip: If you want to barbecue, bring your own equipment. We had three rooms and only one had a charcoal p...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Deb M
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My friends and I went to this resort for Labor Day weekend. Perhaps some of the other reviews are for other units owned by other people. The room we had was nice. We had the essentials needed to cook breakfast for 8 people. The bathrooms were clean, the kitchen was nice. The only complaint, if I had to give one, was there were not enough towels, so you will have to bring your own. There are no extra blankets, so you will have to bring extras if you have someone sleeping out on the sleeper sofa. Where we were, the WIFI didn't work, but we were able to piggy back off someone else router, but they do have WIFI on the property. There is no radio or CD deck anywhere and the TV's are box TV's. Very old and there are minimal channels. The pool and the jacuzzi were nice and clean. The deck is in need of a FEW repairs with nails being exposed and some of the planks lifting up, but it's very bearable. The TIKI BAR is NOT OPEN and looks like it hasn't been open in YEARS!!!! The fitness room is there, but yeah it's not the BEST by any means, but it gets the job done if you're REALLY there to get a workout in. How about you just take a jog around the community, you'll get a better workout? I don't know what the other people are experiencing but it seems like they're perhaps SPOILED. I was VERY hesitant coming by reading these reviews, but like I said, OUR unit was nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank TravelSavvy08
Reviewed August 19, 2012

If you are looking for a place to be lazy at, and do nothing, then this is great. The view was great, no mosquitos, we had the pool to ourselves a lot, and fishing on the pier is good. The rooms were nice. The downside is that if you want things to do, the other reviews are correct. We asked when we were there about things. The Tiki bar, advertises open, in reality it will not be opened for at least a year. They were shut down by the fire department for lack of exits. There are nails popping up in the wood, be careful! The inside bar was shut down permanelty due to lack of interest. You can not get inside the "lobby/clubhouse" except for certain hours and there is nothing there. The spa is not running, the paddlewheeler boat, does not go out or operate. There are not rental activities on site, nor any food, not even a snack machine. There are no telephones in the room, and we needed more coffee, soap and towels and could not get any.
For my husband and I (no kids), it was alright to go and relax but we did get bored.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a lake view in the second building. The first building (closer to pool) is mai...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank brtnd73
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The Sunset Harbor "Resort" was totally MISREPRESENTED by the Salesmen who had convinced us that it was a wonderful Resort and Family Reunion Get-Away. We have a Granddaughter and Great-Grandchildren living in Texas. We live in California. We were guests in April and found the property disgusting. We totally agree with the Guest identified as bmdj56. His review was 100% accurate from a start to finish. We trusted RCI and we were "duped". RCI should be ASHAMED. We paid $10,000 for a property that should be torn down. Supposedly it was "off-season" and everything would be cleaned up and running by the summer months. I doubt that the rusted-out paddleboat will ever run again. The rooms were filthy and the linens were disgusting!! OUR ADVICE TO ALL IS TO STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
19  Thank 958felix
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willis
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Piney Shores Resort
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
4 mi away
La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa
The Landing at Seven Coves
Red Roof Inn Conroe North-Willis
Lake Conroe RV & Camping Resort

Been to Sunset Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!