“Not that bad”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Willis
Houston, Texas
“Not that bad”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My friends and I went to this resort for Labor Day weekend. Perhaps some of the other reviews are for other units owned by other people. The room we had was nice. We had the essentials needed to cook breakfast for 8 people. The bathrooms were clean, the kitchen was nice. The only complaint, if I had to give one, was there were not enough towels, so you will have to bring your own. There are no extra blankets, so you will have to bring extras if you have someone sleeping out on the sleeper sofa. Where we were, the WIFI didn't work, but we were able to piggy back off someone else router, but they do have WIFI on the property. There is no radio or CD deck anywhere and the TV's are box TV's. Very old and there are minimal channels. The pool and the jacuzzi were nice and clean. The deck is in need of a FEW repairs with nails being exposed and some of the planks lifting up, but it's very bearable. The TIKI BAR is NOT OPEN and looks like it hasn't been open in YEARS!!!! The fitness room is there, but yeah it's not the BEST by any means, but it gets the job done if you're REALLY there to get a workout in. How about you just take a jog around the community, you'll get a better workout? I don't know what the other people are experiencing but it seems like they're perhaps SPOILED. I was VERY hesitant coming by reading these reviews, but like I said, OUR unit was nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank TravelSavvy08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2012

If you are looking for a place to be lazy at, and do nothing, then this is great. The view was great, no mosquitos, we had the pool to ourselves a lot, and fishing on the pier is good. The rooms were nice. The downside is that if you want things to do, the other reviews are correct. We asked when we were there about things. The Tiki bar, advertises open, in reality it will not be opened for at least a year. They were shut down by the fire department for lack of exits. There are nails popping up in the wood, be careful! The inside bar was shut down permanelty due to lack of interest. You can not get inside the "lobby/clubhouse" except for certain hours and there is nothing there. The spa is not running, the paddlewheeler boat, does not go out or operate. There are not rental activities on site, nor any food, not even a snack machine. There are no telephones in the room, and we needed more coffee, soap and towels and could not get any.
For my husband and I (no kids), it was alright to go and relax but we did get bored.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a lake view in the second building. The first building (closer to pool) is mai...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank brtnd73

Travelers are raving about these Willis hotels

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The Sunset Harbor "Resort" was totally MISREPRESENTED by the Salesmen who had convinced us that it was a wonderful Resort and Family Reunion Get-Away. We have a Granddaughter and Great-Grandchildren living in Texas. We live in California. We were guests in April and found the property disgusting. We totally agree with the Guest identified as bmdj56. His review was 100% accurate from a start to finish. We trusted RCI and we were "duped". RCI should be ASHAMED. We paid $10,000 for a property that should be torn down. Supposedly it was "off-season" and everything would be cleaned up and running by the summer months. I doubt that the rusted-out paddleboat will ever run again. The rooms were filthy and the linens were disgusting!! OUR ADVICE TO ALL IS TO STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank 958felix
Long Island, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We were guests of this so-called resort last week, 7/9-7/16 and I have to say that it was the absolute worst experience I have ever had at an RCI resort. Upon walking in, all looks well, and then you put your bags down. The place was absolutely disgusting. There was a picture with a broken frame that is not only aesthetically non-pleasing, but dangerous. There were no telephones. The window coverings were broken and we were told that they hadn't been repaired because they were waiting for new curtains to come in. The linens were FILTHY. The towels that weren't ripped to shreds were covered in stains. The bedding was completely tattered and the sheets had stains on them. The pillows had black hair all over them and there was hair on the floors in the bathroom. The bathtubs were covered with black footprints and there was soap scum all over the walls and tubs. The toilets were filthy. The carpets in the bedrooms were covered in stains and felt dirty to walk on. The absolute worst part, however, was that my two-year-old son's and my husband's bare feet turned black within minutes of walking on the tile floors! Unbelievable! When we reported the issues to the front desk, we were told that they were understaffed and that they would see what they could do. In response to the dirty linens, we were offered one flat sheet; that's it! I had to actually wash the pillows -- TWICE and in hot water -- before I even trusted laying my head on them! We had to borrow bed linens from family that lives nearby (thank goodness for small favors.)

But that's not all: The pool was filthy and turned our blonde hair green. The hot tub was filled with sand. The supposed tiki bar, which has a sign that says "open," is shut down and is falling apart. The decks are falling apart and there are exposed nails. The fitness equipment is broken. The list just goes on and on.... I just wish that we had taken pictures of this God awful place to post so that you could really see what I am talking about. Black feet? Come on! RCI should be completely ashamed of itself for including this on their roster. I have always had great experiences with RCI, but now I am a little nervous about future bookings.

If cleanliness is even semi-important to you, then you will want to stay far, far away from this place. Too bad, too, because there is so much great potential that is just completely wasted. It could have been a spectacular place.

Room Tip: There are no tips that will help improve your stay here. Well, except maybe to pack your own linens...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
23 Thank bmdj56
Wading River, New York, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We are currently "guests" at this "Resort?" I could wrap up this review with two words.."Stay Away". This is not really a resort. The pools look OK but they were closed on Tuesday for maintainance, which was OK, we will try them when the rain lets up, if ever. The Dinner Boat cruise was not scheduled until we would be gone. The resort is terribly understaffed with no full time manager that we could see. One maintainance man who is pleasant and tries his best but seems terrible overworked with all the problems. The unit my son-in-law and daughter and grandson were assigned was FILTHY, bathrooms not cleaned, dirty linen with someone hair on them,, floors so dirty their bare feet turned black as they walked on them,rugs not vaccumed, broken glass in the picture frame that could have fallen out leading to cuts, and table and chairs on the balcony so rusted out, dirty or busted up that they should be thrown out.Blinds broken in every unit,The units are terribly under supplied with no kitchen needs usually provided, like dish soap and dishwasher detergent and kitchen towels. No frying pan or pitcher for iced tea. I resorted to scrambling eggs on a cookie sheet. When I complained to the manager, who I luckily found when she was locking up at 8:30 AM, she did send maintainance and cleaning people over right away, but that was the next morning and we were left to borrow linens from relatives who live nearby. The clubhouse is an empty shell, with many repairs needed and the gym has broken equipment. Spa is non existant, but you can "call" someone in for services. All in all it looks lovely, with a very up to date kitchen and a lovely view, but as I said "STAY AWAY." Does have comfortable beds. No phones in units and very skimpy living room furniture.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank Gail J
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I had booked a $300/night room for the 4th of July for myself and a few friends for a day on the lake and some evening fireworks. When we booked in they told us it would be no problem if we shot off fireworks in the parking lot. However after we started shooting them off an elderly man and woman came out saying that they were with the hotel and told us we couldn't shoot off the fireworks. When we calmly tried to resolve the situation they threatened to call the police on us saying that we were disturbing the peace. My only conclusion is that management hates America. Management could improve by being consistent with what they told us when we checked in, and by not threatening their patrons.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank Sam G
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The only reason you wouldnt like it here is if you are a spoiled pompous person. We are here now, and our stay has been comfortable, relaxing, and peaceful. Sitting on the balcony, anywhere you go in Texas, you will need mosquito repellent. Our teenagers have been fishing all weekend. We have fed the ducks. Gone swimming. I can say more good things after we finish our stay. But all the negative comments on here are from people that need to stay elsewhere so that thankful people can enjoy this place more. We will be here for five more days, and I know we will enjoy them all. Dont come here with small children as there is really nothing for them to do. But if you have a boat, or jetski, and love to fish... This is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2012
7 Thank kimiejpc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willis
Red Roof Inn Conroe North-Willis
La Quinta Inn & Suites Conroe
Super 8 Montgomery/ Lake Conroe
Best Western Lake Conroe Inn
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 14 in Conroe
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston Conroe Near The WoodlandsR

Been to Sunset Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!