“Acceptable on the cheap, but only because it's cheap.”

Travelodge Wichita Falls
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Wichita Falls
Worthington, Ohio
“Acceptable on the cheap, but only because it's cheap.”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I used a 1-star hotel Express Deal on Priceline to book this hotel. I was expecting it or two other similar cheap hotels as a result. I got what I paid for, a room with a television, hair dryer, coffee pot, alarm clock, bed, desk, and a bathroom.

Check-in was efficient but entire office smelled of curried foods. Keeping this in mind I did not use the breakfast amenity, and my one picture was of the breakfast area and it was very sparse. Cereal (nearly empty dispensers), a doughnut (not plural, *A* doughnut), three extremely small oranges (I've hit golf balls bigger than them), an unplugged juice machine, and Folgers coffee.

The room was mostly clean, anything you could see was clean, the walls were white, and the carpets were clean enough as I was wearing white socks and they were no dirtier after walking around than they were when I arrived. The bed was comfortable enough but nothing special, the comforters and sheets were clean, and there were three pillows on the king sized bed, and in my experience higher class hotels would have at least four or five . There was a desk with a no smoking sign, but there were cigarette ashes behind the bedside table and under the air conditioner box. Speaking of things behind the bedside table I found about a dozen dried-up dead crickets. The good news is I didn't see any LIVING bugs, bedbugs, crickets, flies, roaches, or anything like that. The bathroom and sink area were spotless and the coffee pot was a full sized twelve-cup machine and honestly I moved it to the parcel shelf because I didn't have enough room to put my toothbrushing and shaving supplies out. Two sets of towels were provided, I imagine you'd have to ask for more if you needed them, but again, higher class hotels would have three full sets in a king room.

I didn't even try the TV other than to see what channels it had and there was a pink channel guide in a basket next to the TV. In that same basket was a 2009-2010 era book listing other Travelodge properties in North America. Three years old? Really? I was unable to locate a Yellow Pages book in the room but there was a Gideon Bible in the bedside table drawer. The room had a microwave, but no refrigerator. This was fine by me, I didn't need to eat in this room, but if I really needed to cool some milk I could always visit the ice machine and keep a half gallon in the ice bucket or something. The internet was unsecured (network name is simply "Lodge") and I was able to connect with my Galaxy S2 phone easily, however, I did not have my laptop with me this stay.

I really enjoy cheap hotel rooms. I like the sound of trucks going down the highway and air conditioners growling. I actually could NOT hear these sounds in this room unless I was standing by the doorway. All in all, this experience was fine *for me*. Your mileage can and will vary and I imagine what I consider "Acceptable" would be downright scary to some reviewers and luxurious to others. I paid $24 for this room with the deal I got, whereas for a walk-in rate the manager at the front desk quoted $40 for single king, $45 for single with double beds or double with king, and $50 for double with double beds. The La Quinta ($69 but ASK and they will happily put you up for $52) and Red Roof ($44 anytime) a few blocks north of here are worth it at those prices, but this hotel is NOT. If you can pay $35 or less and don't need a fridge or breakfast, it's definitely worth a shot and will undercut any other Wichita Falls property.

Room Tip: 230 and 229 have extra bars in front of them so you can't dive into the pickup-truck bed-sized p...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
ALBUQUERQUE
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I showed up to check in at 1:30pm and the manager was very abrupt and rude. He put me in a handicapped room even though I'm not. When I went into the room I tried to turn on the lights. The one nearest the window turned on without issue, but the one by the phone and radio shorted out and shocked me. Next, I went into the bathroom after bringing in my suitcases and took a shower...the back wall of the tub enclosure had sunken in tiles in a large section and it smelled of mildew. Check-out time was by 11am, but the next morning at 8am the housekeeper woke me up and when I said I was still there she stormed off. Turning in the keycard the manager was once again abrupt.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

wftravelodge, Manager at Travelodge Wichita Falls, responded to this review, April 1, 2015
I really appreciate you taking the time to share your disappointment with your stay. I want to personally apologize that the room and furnishings were not of the high standards we expect.

We want our guests to have the best stay possible where everything is like new, in-place, of the highest quality, and in perfect working order. I am sorry if that was not the case during your stay. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! Please continue to stay with us so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.
AZLE
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We were looking for a cheap motel to stay in while visiting our son. This is a cheap motel. The breakfast was not really good, but you get what you pay for. The coffee was excellant. The beds were supposed to be queen size, they were full size. Staying in the front part of the hotel is recommeded.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

HOUSTON
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Room itself was large enough and smelled fine. However, the bathtub had problems draining, and a shower curtain that was at least a foot too long. That last foot of the shower curtain would lay on the tub bottom and constantly stayed under the water. It must have been that way a long time; because, the shower curtain bottom had become badly mildewed.

The bed was fairly comfortable, but the sheets had of rust stain spots , (at least, I hope they were just rust stains) which gave me some concerns about overall cleanliness.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business