“Odd location; service definitely a cut below most Hampton Inns.”

Hampton Inn Wichita Falls Sikes Senter Mall
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Wichita Falls
Cypress, Texas
“Odd location; service definitely a cut below most Hampton Inns.”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I could most likely justify a rating anywhere from two to four for this hotel. I think the challenge for me in deciding on the rating is the location of the hotel.

This is the only Hampton Inn in Wichita Falls, which is a fair sized big town / small city on US 287 and US 82 and at the southern terminus of I-44. We stayed at the hotel while passing through, after a 745 mile day of driving from Cheyenne WY on our way home to Houston TX. This hotel is not convenient for passers-through. It is located well off any freeway / major highway (1.1 miles southwest of the Kemp Blvd exit off US 82). Coming from the northwest, our GPS directed us to the hotel via FM 369 / Southwest Pkwy. After looking at a map later, this routing makes some sense, but doing it without warning, and one wonders just exactly where this hotel may be located. At any rate, the GPS routing is not the hotel's fault, but as an overnight stop while just passing through Wichita Falls, there are Hampton Inns directly on US 287 in both Vernon and Decatur TX 50 or so miles in either direction, which would be more efficient choices.

However, for one staying in Wichita Falls on business or for families with students at Midwestern State University, this hotel is excellently located. It is adjacent to a major shopping mall (in fact one enters the hotel parking lot from a shopping mall driveway). There are numerous reasonably priced, casual restaurants in a three mile radius. It is located next to a major office building and near the Midwestern State campus.

In the summer of 2012, the ground floor of the hotel is undergoing renovation. This is offputting when one walks in, but the hotel staff has worked things such that it is not disruptive to guests.

Service was below the normal Hampton Inn standard. There was no one at the front desk when I arrived. I then said "Hello," and heard no response. About 15 seconds later, I said "hello," again and got a "yeah, I'm coming" response. This was hotel #29 on a 52 day driving trip and it was one of the few hotels at which I had to show ID to register (even though I am Hilton Honors Silver). I found that offputting.

I had problems with the hotel internet service. In our room, there was no wired connection, and I had to choose the attwifi network, not the hhonors network to gain internet access.

This was one of the few Hampton Inns where the bill was not slipped under the door. Admittedly, we checked out at 5:30 am, and the bills were stacked on the cashier's desk.

All this said, the room comfort was typical of Hampton Inns, so no complaints there.

Finally, if you do arrive at this hotel from the north / northeast on Kemp, you will not be able to turn left into the hotel off Kemp. It is easier to turn at the first traffic light (into the mall parking lot) south of Call - Field / Midwestern Pkwy than to go down to Elliott and try to make a U turn.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jbtexas
WichitaFallsHI_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Wichita Falls Sikes Senter Mall, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear jbtexas...

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I want to apologize for the issues you had while checking in. I have addressed your concerns with my front desk staff to ensure that situations like yours don’t happen again. Guest satisfaction is of the utmost priority for us and your feedback certainly helps us to improve upon that. We appreciate your patience while we were undertaking our lobby and fitness center renovation. I am excited to announce that they are fully complete now and I think you will love the changes. We also were replacing all of our mattresses throughout the hotel and each and every bed is like a slice of heaven. We hope that with our efforts to improve every stay for our guests, you look to us should you find yourself in the Wichita Falls area again. We love being your home away from home.

Debbie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I travel quite a bit on business and have stayed in many Hampton Inns around the country, they are usually top-notch. The Wichita Falls Hampton Inn was no exception. When walking through the door, I was happy to see how clean and well taken care of the lobby/reception area was. The staff was polite and check in went very smooth, with a nightly rate as discussed when making the reservation, no surprises. The room was clean and in good repair with a fridge and coffee maker. The wi-fi was strong and easy to log onto. They had a nice fitness center (although I didn't get a chance to use it). The area around is decent overall with a lot of eating/shopping establishments and a mall next door, but it does seem like the surrounding area may get a little seedy late at night. Overall, another great stay with Hampton Inn, would definitely stay at this location again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tuck13041
Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I travel for business to WF every two to three months and I stay at this location every time. On my very first trip I stayed at the Fairfiled just up the street and this is a far better choice. Coworkers have stayed in at least two other locations on the outskirts of town with less favorable feedback. The staff here is consistent, attentive and friendly! The two women who typically service the breakfast area in particular are a pleasure to be around. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. In an area that can get QUITE hot, they have wonderful AC in the rooms. It is located in the same parking lot as the mall and in the vicinity of many fast food and chain restuarants. I don't think there is a better centeral location in the area. The one and only time I had any issue with my room, I was promptly moved to a different location in a professional manner. Great choice for the business or pleasure traveler!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Longmeadow
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The staff here shipped home clothes I forgot, followed up with calls and e-mails to ensure its arrival. Niva and Mike at the froint desk are great, ands Debbie the Manager is truly customer service oriented! Will stay here again- also located close to good dining areas, and mall!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about this property. The staff is courteous, friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. The interior is clean, well maintained and secure. The rooms are clean, efficient, well maintained and well equipped. The business center was efficient and everything worked well. The breakfast featured a good selection, but do not try to get anything past the 10am cut off. (One of the workers is VERY strict on the tear down time.)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Oak Hill, va
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Stayed one night on business. Third stay in this facility. I find the location to be central to most things in Wichita Falls, with a lot of food options for lunch and dinner. Location in the mall parking lot is teh only drawback as asthetically it is not much to look at. Staff is polite and offers quality advice on places to go in town.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 17, 2012

What a breath of fresh air after we had stayed a couple of disappointed nights at a different chain. This facility was new, fresh, clean, super friendly. Our room was fabulous- bed comfy, very clean, bright, colorful, and cozy. great bathroom- very clean. We had a fridge & microwave. Breakfast was GREAT- they had more than the usual "white" food of pastries & waffles- they also had eggs, yogurt and FRESH cut up fruit. The coffee was fabulous. If you are going through or to Wichita Falls, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family