I could most likely justify a rating anywhere from two to four for this hotel. I think the challenge for me in deciding on the rating is the location of the hotel.
This is the only Hampton Inn in Wichita Falls, which is a fair sized big town / small city on US 287 and US 82 and at the southern terminus of I-44. We stayed at the hotel while passing through, after a 745 mile day of driving from Cheyenne WY on our way home to Houston TX. This hotel is not convenient for passers-through. It is located well off any freeway / major highway (1.1 miles southwest of the Kemp Blvd exit off US 82). Coming from the northwest, our GPS directed us to the hotel via FM 369 / Southwest Pkwy. After looking at a map later, this routing makes some sense, but doing it without warning, and one wonders just exactly where this hotel may be located. At any rate, the GPS routing is not the hotel's fault, but as an overnight stop while just passing through Wichita Falls, there are Hampton Inns directly on US 287 in both Vernon and Decatur TX 50 or so miles in either direction, which would be more efficient choices.
However, for one staying in Wichita Falls on business or for families with students at Midwestern State University, this hotel is excellently located. It is adjacent to a major shopping mall (in fact one enters the hotel parking lot from a shopping mall driveway). There are numerous reasonably priced, casual restaurants in a three mile radius. It is located next to a major office building and near the Midwestern State campus.
In the summer of 2012, the ground floor of the hotel is undergoing renovation. This is offputting when one walks in, but the hotel staff has worked things such that it is not disruptive to guests.
Service was below the normal Hampton Inn standard. There was no one at the front desk when I arrived. I then said "Hello," and heard no response. About 15 seconds later, I said "hello," again and got a "yeah, I'm coming" response. This was hotel #29 on a 52 day driving trip and it was one of the few hotels at which I had to show ID to register (even though I am Hilton Honors Silver). I found that offputting.
I had problems with the hotel internet service. In our room, there was no wired connection, and I had to choose the attwifi network, not the hhonors network to gain internet access.
This was one of the few Hampton Inns where the bill was not slipped under the door. Admittedly, we checked out at 5:30 am, and the bills were stacked on the cashier's desk.
All this said, the room comfort was typical of Hampton Inns, so no complaints there.
Finally, if you do arrive at this hotel from the north / northeast on Kemp, you will not be able to turn left into the hotel off Kemp. It is easier to turn at the first traffic light (into the mall parking lot) south of Call - Field / Midwestern Pkwy than to go down to Elliott and try to make a U turn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hampton Inn Wichita Falls – Sikes Senter Mall hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to the mall and ten minutes from the Municipal Airport (SPS). Enjoy a fun-filled day at the Castaway Cove Waterpark, or take advantage of the natural fun and recreation at Lake Arrowhead State Park, offering 524 acres of fishing, swimming, water skiing, and picnics. Rest well in a clean and fresh Hampton bed® in this Wichita Falls hotel, and enjoy modern amenities including free high-speed internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Orbitz, Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, HRS and HotelsClick so you can book your Hampton Inn Wichita Falls Sikes Senter Mall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn Wichita Falls Hotel Wichita Falls
- Wichita Falls Hampton Inn