“Some of the best BBQ sauce I've ever had”
Review of Branding Iron

Branding Iron
Ranked #3 of 238 Restaurants in Wichita Falls
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is a great hole in the wall place and one of my favorites on my travel circuit. It's a dark and smokey, western themed dining room with a cafeteria style line to order your food. The meats are excellent, plentiful and there are many choices between brisket, sausages, ham, turkey, pork, etc. The best part is without question the BBQ sauce. I think it's fair to say you could drink it by itself, and on occasion I think I've done just that. I wish TSA would let me fly home with gallons of it!

1  Thank dwstonesifer

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This BBQ is great and plentiful. The owner is a local person and does a great job with the food and service. I have had them cater several events for me and is always great.

1  Thank BigPa
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Had an errand on Saturday in Wichita Falls, and the town was dead quiet. Seemed almost frozen in the 60’s. However, amidst all the quiet, the Branding Iron was open. In a neighborhood where everything around it was shut down, there were probably 15 cars in the driveway of this place. A good sign.

Located in a single storey building, which also seemed a relic of the 60’s, it is paneled with dark wood with a low ceiling, and western themed decorations. It is cash only. There are two doors, “dine in” and “carry out”. When you enter the dine in section, to the right is a counter, with a pretty rustic looking menu on the wall behind it. I had the combo platter: smoked turkey, sliced beef and smoked bologna that came with two sides. There are probably 6-7 sides, which you mostly serve yourself as you move down the cafeteria style line. Fried okra, cole slaw, potato salad, fries, pea salad, etc. there is also a ladle with a large container of hot bbq sauce. For the two of us (my friend had the sandwich plate and a drink), it was about $17.50. We sat in a booth, but there are tables packed into a small front and back room separated by a small table of condiments.

The brisket was very moist, but fell apart pretty quickly—tasted okay but not very smoky. Smoked turkey was fine, not too dry. I really liked the smoked bologna, which had a good taste and a very soft texture (unlike fried bologna). The BBQ sauce was sweetish, but pretty good, especially on the brisket and bologna. Both the cole slaw and the potato salad tasted homemade. Fixings are also on the side, including tomatoes, pickled okra, onions, jalapeno peppers.

Overall, it was a good barbecue experience—I would go back.

2  Thank J P
Reviewed July 14, 2013

If you can't take the heat and the smoke, take your order to go. Branding Iron's dark, smokey dining room is the perfect venue for enjoying their brand of Texas BBQ with heaps of sides.

2  Thank Jim M
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Been to Branding Iron on several visits to WF. Our group usually meets there. Price is respectable, brisket and sausage are good, ribs need work, but the REAL fried okra is excellent. Not that pre-breaded frozen crap, but real hand breaded fried okra. This makes it worth coming back....that and the fact that there is not a lot of decent BBQ in WF.

1  Thank councilman05