“Great Restaurant!”

Dining options: Reservations
Arkansas
“Great Restaurant!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We recently enjoyed a fine meal at Opa's. We arrived and were promptly seated in the authentically decorated restaurant complete with German music. The waitress quickly took our drink order and dinner order. The food came out very quickly and was excellent. You have to try a pretzel with cheese appetizer, it was out of this world and I'm not even a pretzel fan. I had meatloaf which was very good and potato salad which was fantastic. My son had a sliced roast beef sandwich which was huge and delicious. We don't get to eat German food often as there are few in our area, so while spending 2 days in Wichita Falls this was quite a treat. Stop in, you won't be dissapointed

Visited June 2013
1 Thank KBD87

Wichita Falls, Texas
“My Favorite Place to Eat in Town”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I make it a point to eat here once a week; its my favorite restaurant. The restaurant itself is beautifully designed and decorated -- very nice atmosphere. The service is always great.
They also have consistently good food, and plenty of it. There are a variety of schnitzel meals, including BBQ and jalapeno (which I enjoy), but I tend to stick to the doner kebab sandwich. (Its very good!) I would also recommend their frikadelle, which is like a German hamburger, or the strammer max (an open-faced sandwich with rye bread, ham, cheese and egg).
There are also a few varieties of dessert, including an excellent dish called "schnitzel ice" you can get in either butterscotch, strawberry or chocolate.
I've never been disappointed here, and certainly recommend it.

• Visited June 2013
San Diego, California
“German Surprise in Wichita Falls, Texas”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Excellent food and German beer on tap! We had the sausage platter appetizer, the schnitzel, apple strudel, and the Hofbrau and Bitburger beers. Wonderful service and a very friendly, hands-on owner! I lived for a year in Vienna, and have traveled in Germany and Austria many times since. This is the real deal! Treat yourself!

• Visited May 2013
Wichita Falls, Texas
“Best German food I've eaten!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I've eaten in German restaurants in the Fredericksburg (TX) and New Braunfels (TX) areas as well as some lesser known German areas in north Texas, but I've got to say I was totally surprised by the authenticity, quality and serving size of Opa's Snitzel Haus in Wichita Falls. Maybe I wasn't expecting much, but I've never been so wrong! Let's be honest, a lot of people will not rank German cuisine as one of their favorites, and I've been one of those -- but maybe not anymore. I had the Zwiebel-Schnitzel with Bratkartoffel, a salad and a side of Jaeger sauce, and my wife had the Cordon Bleu Schnitzel with a salad and Bratkartoffer (picture attached). Then, we topped it off with a Peach Cream Cheese Streudel with a scoop of ice cream! We even had a waiter who spoke a bit of German since he spent part of his high school years in Germany! And if you want a sandwich instead, try the the German Cheese Steak (with two pounds of meat)! Really, this food totally surprised me! We'll be back.

• Visited April 2013
“Improving, Worth a try”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

There are no other options for German style cuisine in Wichita Falls, so when we first learned of Opa's on Sheppard access road we had to check it out. We have been there a few times for dinner, and most recently to their new location near Sikes Center.
First the food, There are a number of schnitzel dishes and an assortment of wursts, and a beef gulash. If you have a German grandma, the preparations are much like she would have made. The accompanying side dishes of red cabbage and warm kartoffel salat are genuine. Last night the green beans were a bit over steamed and bland though.
The new location is a huge improvement. Parking is excellent and the inside decor is much more traditional. My only suggestion is drop the plastic covers over the tablecloths. Service was friendly but a little inattentive, no butter for the rolls for instance. I am hopeful that once they get comfortable in the new location those smaller details will improve. Comfortable, a fair value, and worth your try.

• Visited March 2013