“A fine night for weary travelers”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Wichita Falls
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A fine night for weary travelers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stayed here one night for a stopover while enroute to Baton Rouge. Due to our highway being washed out in a Texas thunderstorm upstate, we arrived many hours after normal check-in time. When I called to notify the hotel of our delay the clerk was very gracious and said he'd note it in the system. When we arrived, close to midnight, the clerk was exactly what I needed: smiling, polite, informative, gracious, and helpful. The room wasn't cooled when we opened the door, but it had two very comfortable beds, plenty of pillows, and even a couch. It appeared clean and orderly. The only issue was with the air conditioner; it is one of those wall models that is continuously on and has a color dial as a thermostat that isn't very efficient. The breakfast was better than most bargain hotels with pastries, cereal, sausage, eggs, and waffles, along with whole wheat bagels and juice. For a one-night stay this hotel was fine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ScottandJanelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Panama City Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

Stayed here for a few nights, and I wish I would have slept in the car instead. The only upside was the guy at the front desk and the free wi-fi. Checked into my room, counted three roaches and an un-flushed toilet, so that was comforting. Changed rooms, and had the same issue with bugs in the other room. So I put all my stuff on the TV stand so I wouldn't have any un-wanted Texas critters in my bags. Road noise was terrible and the walls were ridiculously thin. The parking lot was very dimly lit, and given the area of Wichita Falls, that was a bit horrifying. The only way I would ever return was if they demolished this building and maybe put a Hilton there or something. Noooo thanks.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Michael H
Lubbock, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

Very friendly staff -- I was impressed with Crystal who checked me in, and Joy who ran the breakfast bar.
Room stank, and was dirty. There was a half-drank soda in the fridge, half-eaten box of cookies in a drawer, soda bottle cap on the floor, the bathroom floor needed a good cleaning, and the bathtub was gross.

I've always been happy with my choicehotels program, but not this time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank afmel
Norman, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

Ive been a loyal choice rewards customer for ten years - never a problem. I got double billed my first night - desk clerk was insisting she was right and was condescending - night audit was too busy washing his car to be of help, nobody could be found at checkout and when I came back to get one of the charges changed that clerk blamed the one the night before. Everybody blaming everybody else. I got a short note from manager saying I MAY have a pending charge. No apology, no adjustment - nothing. The most uncaring unfriendly incompetent hotel Ive ever been in. It is sad because the facilities and price arent that bad....Ive never complained or writtena review before but this took the cake.

Room Tip: my tip? Go with Wyndham or Accor
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank danieltonyr
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

Okay, I'm just going to start off by saying that I booked this room expecting it to be a little less than what I'm used to. We were arriving late, doing nothing but sleeping, and then getting back on the road, so I didn't see any point in paying for a more expensive place. I think of the "Quality" hotel line as being less expensive than where we normally stay, but I still consider them to be a step above low-cost motels. I expect friendly service and clean rooms, not room service and a concierge. Even so, this particular location did NOT live up to my expectations.

All that said, I was very put off by this hotel from the get go. My first clue was that I couldn't check in without my driver's license. I've never stayed anywhere where my military ID and credit card didn't suffice to check in with an advance reservation. Whatever. Minor inconvenience to go dig it out of my bag, but it did make me wonder about the usual clientele that they HAD to have a photo ID with my address written on it.

We had a room with 2 queen beds and a fold out sofa. The size of the room was great. The children appreciated the space after a long day in the car. There was a fridge and coffee pot in the room. That is where any positive comments must end.

When we got to our room, we couldn't figure out how to open it. The green light would blink on, the handle would move, but it was like the door was deadbolted from the inside. Turns out the handle had to lift up (seems stupid that we didn't figure that out, but I've NEVER had a hotel door which worked like that). The front desk clerk told my husband that lots of people have trouble with it. Well then don't you think it would be worth mentioning when you checked us in???? I genuinely thought maybe some poor soul was already in that room for the night and that's why it wouldn't open.

We got a pack and play crib from the front desk, got it upstairs, and discovered there was no sheet for the stained, plastic mattress. When I went back to the front desk, I was told there were no crib sheets. When I indicated dissatisfaction at my child sleeping on the bare mattress, I was given a regular sized sheet like would go on one of the beds. Probably not the safest option. I got back upstairs before I realized we had nothing but a towel to use for a blanket. Since I was fairly certain the hotel didn't stock crib blankets, we didn't bother going to ask for one. (Incidentally, the hotels we stayed in the night prior to and following this one, the cribs were delivered to our rooms, assembled, and had sheets and blankets.)

As it turns out, the crib sheet turned out to be pointless because we couldn't use the crib. It was broken. I have four children and am VERY familiar with pack and plays. One of the end bars would NOT stay locked no matter what I tried. What's more, the bottom of the crib had a spot for a release ring (you pull up and twist to release the bottom bars), but the ring was completely broken off. I couldn't believe that a bed which was so structurally unsound was being handed out to guests. I went back to the desk again to see about a different one, and I was told there were only two in the hotel and the other one was in use.

The room itself was shabby. I felt sorry for my son, who slept on the fold out sofa, because I could see the middle sagging without support even when the bed was empty. Most hotels will have a bag with linens for the sofa tucked away somewhere. Not this one. We found two sheets in drawer, but no blanket and no extra pillows. By this time, neither of us relished the idea of yet another trip to the front desk, so we just coped. As for the rest of the room, the bathroom could have looked 100% better if someone would have just taken a caulking gun to the tub. The carpet looked so dirty I hesitated to let the kids take their shoes off.

Incidentally, I paid about $107 for this room after taxes. It was about half of our previous hotel, but I'm still not sure it was worth it. I can't believe anyone would stay here expecting more than a quick night's sleep. The rooms weren't that great, there was no exercise facility, and the "pool" was a small, outdoor rectangle the size of a kiddie wading pool. In a town the size of Wichita Falls, there have to be better options.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank momof4invegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

Hotel was nice, clean and roomy. The girl that checked us in was very nice. The gentleman that took over for her was rude. My husband went there to get a sheet for the baby crib they provided and the gentleman was insistant that they do not have baby cribs, and wouldn't listen to my husband when he was only asking for a sheet. Finally my husband told him in a stern voice that he wanted a sheet! Finally they guy gave him a sheet and said...I have been here a year and I didn't know we had cribs

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank drm7002
david s, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 30, 2014
I am sorry about your past stay
we are under new manager and have updated the whole hotel please try us again
kcmo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

Not what you'd expect from a Choice Hotel. The carpet was yukky so we kept our shoes on. There were hairs pushed all around the edges of the bathroom floor (DON'T HOUSEKEEPERS SEE THIS ?) The couch should have been burned. The sink was cracked and stained. The curtains were half hanging and shoved to the side (ARE HOUSEKEEPERS BLIND?) The edges of the room had apparently never been vacuumed (MORE BLIND HOUSEKEEPERS) There were crickets all up and down the hallways (I KNOW TEXAS HAS A PLAGUE ON THEM - THAT'S WHAT THEY KEEP SAYING) Then, the front desk say they have no authority to alter the price of the bill, the next morning (DON'T YOU FOLKS OUT THERE THINK THAT'S DELIBERATE RULES FROM MANAGEMENT THAT NEVER SEEM TO WORK?) Sleep in your car, you'll enjoy it more.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family