“Big plates”

Good for: Families with children
Cincinnati
“Big plates”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Excellent chips and salsa. The pepper-cheese dip is wonderful. The food is ample but very typical for a Mexican restaurant. Service was good and quick.

• Visited July 2011

Jacksonville, North Carolina
“Nice restaurant, great salsa”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We ate at the Don Jose about mid-afternoon and it wasn't very crowded. The enchilada's are very good and very fresh. I had the beef and the wife had the cheese enchiladas. They are served with a good chili sauce. Though the enchiladas were very good, the salsa is probably the best I ever had in a restaurant. It was very fresh.
The restaurant is in an older building off the beaten path. I guess I have been spoiled by the states that banned smoking in restaurants, but Texas still has the smoking/no smoking sections. So if smoke offends you, you are going to smell the reek when you enter the door. We had a good non-smoke meal, but it was a slow time. The only thing that divided us from the smoking section was a wall that is open at the top (I'm sure you remember them). The service was decent, but not spectacular...but we were there at an off time. I guess I could sum it up as very good food in a very so-so atmosphere.

• Visited July 2011