“good value for the price”
Review of Wichita Star Hotel

Wichita Star Hotel
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Wichita Falls
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My adult daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night in July 2012.
The price was about 80.00, including all taxes.

We checked in a little earlier than their check in time, and the front desk employee had to walk up to our room to see if it was ready for us. It was, and she told us that she had just turned on the a/c.

The temp outside was 110.
It must cost a small fortune to a/c these hotels.
So, apparently..... they are turning off the a/c in the rooms until there is a guest.
There seemed to be no a/c in the hallways. Very warm.

If I were paying 250.00 a night, I would expect a/c throughout.
But, for this under 100.00 night room, I am okay with the slight inconvenience.

Room was well cleaned and very large.
A kitchenette, a sitting area with couch, 2 queen beds, 2 bathroom sinks.
Beds were comfortable enough.

There was a free hot breakfast.
Cereal, sausage, scrambled eggs, biscuits, gravy, bowl of fruit, OJ, coffee, apple juice, waffles, mini muffins, bagels, english muffins.
Generic powdered cream for the coffee. [a disappointment for me]
Not one of the best "free hot breakfasts" I have seen.

The front desk staff were genuinely friendly and very helpful.

Free internet in the room.

For $40.00 per person, per night...... we had a good place to lay our heads at night.
With this perspective in mind, I believe that this hotel was a very good value.

1  Thank GraceAlone
parkerx2, General Manager at Wichita Star Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

GraceAlone,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write out your review! We work very hard to ensure that our guest come first and we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

This hotel was nice, and homey feeling. Except like mom's house, there was little finger prints everywhere. The hotel was not really updated, but it was nice. They provided a wonderful hot breakfast, with plenty of space for individuals and families. The room itself had beds that felt like mom's, bed with crisp sheets and comfortable mattresses, and if you rented the suite the pull out was additonnally nice. The room for all pretenses was complete. No, flat screens sorry, but the old televison worked great and was on a swivel apparatus for panaromic viewing.

The A/C was not too loud and did not turn off and on, to maintain its temperature. We stayed in room 206 which had a view of the pool and some trees in front of the window that made one feel like a room in house instead of a hotel room.

Although housekeeping did a decent job in cleaning the rooms, they dropped the ball on the public areas, halls, vents, elevator doors, carpets, flooring in lobby and doors.

These areas get the most touching and traffic, so a good antibacterial solution would be great to use on these areas at every cleaning.

In my opinion it would do great to rid hotels of carpets and just put in some non slip flooring.

Lasty,

I was very disappointed in that the whole time the business center was down, and a days after, but we booked our room because it was part of the amenity, and they never told us. When I inquired when it would be up in running, they always kept saying someone is working the issue. A few days after we checked out the sign was still on the door, and far as I know the prices were still the same.

Room Tip: The suites are great, they have more space, fridge, coffee maker, sink, and cabinets for long stays...
2  Thank persaude

Persuade,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review! I am happy to here that you felt right at home in our hotel! We have completed our installation of Flat Screen Televisions, and our business center is up and running. I am so sorry it was down during our stay.

I would also like to thank you for bring the public areas to our attention. We have since steeped up our attention to those!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Overall, the room was a great size. Big, spacious, and windows that actually open. The staff was just as nice as any hotel, and even let me borrow something I had left at home. They did match Expedias rate when I called, which was a plus. However the list of good things stopped there. It seemed like the front desk girl had too much to do by herself. Phones ringing, people coming in, cleaning in the dining and meeting rooms, running up to rooms. We saw lots of people waiting at the front desk for minutes on end before anyone showed up. The real issues I came across had to do with the cleanliness, or lack thereof I should say. The lobby was nice, but when we went to the "lounge" area to watch tv, there were old chips and crumbs all over most of the tables. We had to clean them ourselves. Also, in our room, I found an old bag of potato chips sitting in the cabinet right above the sink in the living area. Just sitting there, bag open, next to the mugs I was supposed to use for my free coffee. Dont know how any person who is supposed to be "cleaning" could miss a half eaten bag of chips inside the only cabinet in the kitchen area. If they missed something that obvious, just makes me cringe to think what other things could have been skipped over and be potentially dirty. Gross. I slept on top of the covers, just to make sure. Also, after reading other reviews of dirty towels, I checked mine and sure enough I found little booger looking things and a long black female hair sitting right on top of the towel. Thank god I brought my own towels. The hallways and rooms could both use a fresh coat of paint and some new carpet, as well. Stains in the carpet and marks all over the hallway and room walls as well. Bathtub was grungy and had to watch where I stepped in the shower to make sure I didnt step in whatever was coating around the drain. I hate that this review sounds so bad, because I enjoyed the atmosphere and layout of the rooms and hotel. I can understand a small, minor issue since it is a hotel after all. But the amount of things that just made me say "ew" defintely outweighed the perks. Would I stay here again? Only if they hired a REAL cleanining crew, and did some face lifts.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Degro26

Degro26,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. At the Lexington, we have a very high standard for our hotel in terms of cleanliness. I am shocked to hear the things you describe. Please give us another chance to gain your loyalty.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

This place has lots of room for a great price, especially if you have AAA. Staff was friendly, rooms are clean and comfortable. Breakfast was nice too. Only trouble we had was the clothes dryers needed repaired. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Babybear71

DJKBWILSON,

Thank you so much to taking the time to write your review! Here at the Lexington we take pride in our clean rooms and excellent breakfast, I am glad you enjoyed both! We have replaced the guest dryer now so I do hope you will use it on your next stay!

In the spirit of hospitality,

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great place to stay. Very open pet policy, clean rooms and great breakfast. Centrally located to shopping, restaurants and "the falls."

• Stayed: April 2012

Minlly,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a great review! Our pet policy is one of the things that sets us out from our competition!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We looked up online to book a room and on their website the room was $77, on hotels.com the rate was $58, and when we called she said $92... I told her I was going to book on hotels.com and she met the price... So definitely do research before staying but we were glad that they could match it. Then when we got in the room they look nice and clean but we went to get a towel and it was covered in black stuff (not sure what). Two out of the four towels had it all over them. We called the front desk and she brought two towels (which one was even worst than the first two... EXTREMELY disappointing) and at that time I also told her about the red spoon just sitting under the desk (gross housekeeping should have found that). Then they left almost no toilet paper in the restroom. We had to call the front desk to get that as well. The people above us jumped up and down all night. There was a hair in the shower and a hair in the sink. The pillows are like rocks so bring your own. To top it all off, our wake up call we set went off 15 minutes after we set it. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone unless you are just crashing and leaving.

Room Tip: Maybe ask to see the room first.
3  Thank LipseyJ
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

LipsyJ,

I am very disappointed to hear that your room was not cleaned to our high standards, but I am happy to hear that the front desk was there to help you.. Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review so that we may use it as a teaching tool.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

I had a really pleasant stay here. The room was large, clean, and inexpensive. I will agree with some of the other reviewers that the furnishings are a bit dated; however, they are also clean and functional, definitely not a reason to dislike the hotel. I will say that the internet was a bit problematic. It switched between really slow and not working at all. The cable was also a bit problematic. The front desk was responsive to the issue and reset their system immediately. Unfortunately, the problem seemed to be on the cable company's end, and since it was a holiday, we didn't see much of an improvement during our stay. The staff was very friendly and apologetic about the issue. My only other complaint in in regards to the kitchenette in our room. Although the sink, stove, counters and refrigerator were all very clean, I noticed that some of the utensils and cookware were not. Some pieces, such as the colander, had dried food stuck to them. They looked as though they had been run through a dishwasher, but hadn't been rinsed beforehand, so some bits of food were baked on. Truth be told, it really wasn't that bad. I just gave the things I used a quick scrubbing beforehand, which I probably would have done anyway. I'm not sure why people are complaining about the breakfast. I've stayed in lot of hotels, and this is one of the nicer breakfasts I've had, especially for a budget place. Also, the linens and bed were very nice and comfortable. Overall, this is a very nice place to stay, especially considering the price.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear ValentinoDrag,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review! I am sorry to hear that our internet/ cable was an issue during your stay. It is a problem we are working very hard to resolve. I am also very shocked to hear about our dishes, and it will be addressed accordingly. I am happy to hear, however, that you enjoyed our staff and rooms! We work very hard to make sure the Lexington feels like home. Please stay with us again!