“Needs some serious updating”

Columbia Lakes Resort and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Columbia
San Jose, California
“Needs some serious updating”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I rented a "villa/cottage" for two nights while attending a friend's wedding and I have to say that I was very disappointed in the accommodations especially at $100 a night. The villa was so outdated and had a horrible musty smell and the blinds did not open and there were no screens on the sliding glass doors. This was way overpriced for what you got. We saw an updated villa and it was beautiful. If it hadn't been for the wedding being held there, I would never have spent that much money for those accommodations.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
21 Thank TheDebs_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Freeport, Te
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We just held a week long workshop at Columbia Lakes Resort and Conference Center with people coming from as far away as China. Let me say, all my colleagues really enjoyed the "EXCELLENT" treatment they received from the employees at Columbia Lakes. They all just loved to food too. A couple said they might have gained a few pounds while they were. I just want to thank Tami, Suzanne and Marteen for all the special treatment. There is no doubt in my mind I will book more workshops at Columbia Lakes. Thank you once again for the enjoyable stay.
Regards,
Bobbie Jo Stieg-Lewellen
BASF Corporation

Room Tip: Contact Suzanne Byrd to help you pick what you want.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I want to personally THANK Suzanne Byrd with Columbia Lakes Resort. I visted there on Saturday, 11/5/11 and I was in AWE!!!! I felt soooo comfortable there at the resort that I will book ALL of my retreats, conferences and personal get-aways there for now on. I am a Wedding Coordinator and I will MOST definitely let my brides know about the beautiful resort. Suzanne Byrd was AWESOME and the owner even took out his time to over and meet meand my grandchildren....I felt so comfortable, I didn't want to leave. I'm hving my Mother & Daughter retreat there and can't wait until June2012...I give Columbia Lakes 5*******stars....

Room Tip: The cottages are AWESOME and EXTREMELY CLEAN!!! Each cottage is designed to fit anyone's needs o...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Regina J
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2011

It is not even 7:00pm on a Tuesday and I can't even get someone on the phone! I called to only other number on the website. Which when I try to navigate around, it take me to the same advertisment page. I called to Pro shop and the guy that answered said "oh they went home for the night, sorry, I am in the Pro shop, I can't book you a room" I said well that's fine, I will find another place to stay for a weekend. He said ok and that was it. I will tell you that if this is how they are, not only will I be NOT staying here. I will inform all my friends, family and customers not to go here either.

Room Tip: Always call first...don't just book over a website.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
16 Thank CarylC
West Columbia, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2011

After reading some of the reviews, I felt compelled to throw mine in as well. Over the years, this coarse and facility has definately seen its ups and downs. With that said, its definately on its way back. Even with the drought conditions they are experiencing, the coarse is in best shape I have seen in several years. Through some obvious hard work, the greens are coming around nicely and the overall appearance of the coarse has improved drastically. Is it back to its former glory yet?...No. Is it on it's way back?....Absolutely. I have had the opportunity to play a lot of wonderful coarses across the country, and this is still my favorite place to play, primarily due to the coarse lay out.

Regarding the COTTAGES, which are owned by the resort, they are definately a good value. Large clean bed rooms, nice living area, and clean large bathrooms. They are located in the vicinity of the club house and back up to the 15th fairway. We generally rent cottages 3-4 times per year and have always been pleased. WARNING: STAY AWAY FROM THE HOTEL. The hotel is not owned by the resort and is in extremely poor condition. I say this, because I did make the mistake, ONCE, of renting one of the hotel rooms, a few years back. By all reports, they haven't improved. Again, go with Cottages and you wont be dissapointed.

Much to my detrimant, I enjoy good food. With that said, the food at both the Club House (traditional restaurant fare) and Mulligans (fast food) are better than anything else you will find in the region. The Hamburgers, which I try to stay away from, are the best in the area, the fried chicken and chicken fried steak are both very good, and they do a very good job with the steaks. If you are eating at the club house restaurant, try the Ruban Sandwich....its the best I have ever had!

Over all, Columbia Lakes Resort is a nice place that is run by good and friendly people. From the owners, to the waitresses, to the accomodations staff, to the bar staff, to the pro shop staff, they are all hard working, friendly, and do their best to make sure you are satisfied. Yes the club house is a little dated, but its clean and laid out well. If you are looking for an expensive high end resort experience, than this might not be the place for you....But, if you are looking for a relaxing golf vacation, or a spot for a family reunion, with good food, nice folks, a clean pool, nice tennis courts, a quiet "Cheers" type sports barand a nice big place to stay, I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank DWf_from_WC
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed September 7, 2011

For the second year in a row, I planned our yearly golf outing for our group of 28 guys and chose Columbia Lakes to host our event. We played golf for 5 days and even though the weather conditions have been very dry and hotter than ever, the greens were not in bad shape at all. The fairways were dry but they have had no rain just like most of SE Texas. We were there to have fun, get away from work and relax with everyone.
The accomodations have been upgraded in the cottages where we stayed and everyone loved the rooms. The package included meals at the restaurant which were very good and fit perfectly into our schedule. The food and cold beer at Mulligan's also hit the spot after 36 holes on the course! One of the best parts which we all appreciated was the courteous and professional hospitality in which we were all given every day we were there. Suzanne, Sharon, Allen and Joshua will go way beyond our expectations to take care of every need and request we had. Please consider Columbia Lakes for your next golf outing and enjoy what we did. We are already talking about going back next year!!

Room Tip: The 4 bedroom cottages are awesome!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Geoffrey B
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2011

My title pretty much sums it up. A great course design, challenging for all skill levels (I'm a 6 handicap) but the conditions of the course force me to warn you to stay away. Very little grass on the hard and baked fairways and the greens are simply a joke, worse than any $15 municipal course you can find. It is really a horrible shame because this course could be a gem, hopefully it will be worth playing after a couple of years of intensive maintenance. Room was ok, lots of space but just average at best. Not very quiet because of a large wedding taking place on the property and they seemed to have consumed a lot of adult beverages, I have no problem with celebrating but we drove in to town to eat just to avoid the mob around the resort.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Best Western Plus Lake Jackson Inn & Suites
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#2 of 6 in Lake Jackson

Been to Columbia Lakes Resort and Country Club? Share your experiences!