“Definitely NOT the Original”

Arturo's Bar and Grill
Ranked #3 of 109 Restaurants in Weslaco
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
MN
“Definitely NOT the Original”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

When in the Rio Grande Valley we are regular (as in weekly) visitors to the original Arturo's Restaurant in Nuevo Progreso, Mexico where we have a favorite waiter and enough favorite dishes that we have trouble deciding what to order.
Friends regularly asked us to compare the two restaurants for them, and we had to admit we had never the US one. We decided last week to try it, and once is enough.
Here is our assessment:
House Margarita on the rocks - UGH! Obviously made with sugar-laden bottled margarita mix with an almost undetectable amount of tequila. No sign of Controy or triple sec. (In Mexico - made with fresh tequila, Controy & fresh lime juice.)
The atmosphere - you are in an old house, a couple of tables per room, nicely decorated. Unfortunately, the acoustics amplified conversation in the next room so we could barely hear each other. (In Mexico, large rooms filled with bustling waiters & busboys, white tablcloths, and a steady hum of conversation.)
The food - Same menu, but we had to ask for pico de gallo to go with our chips. Food was OK - not hot enough when served - we attribute this to one waiter running between rooms & the kitchen to do his job.
The service - A little slow -as mentioned they were running between rooms.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank sewhappy1221

Austin, Texas
“Fresh and authentic”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I missed Arturo's when I quit crossing the border and then I moved away. Imagine my surprise when I found it on the Tx side in what used to be Picasso's in Weslaco. Went there this week on a business trip and had a wonderful Mexican (not TX Mex) dinner. I had grilled shrimp with onions and peppers. It was wonderful. My husband was with me and had fish which he raved about. Great dinner and great service. Since it is located in what was once a house it has many rooms so it doesn't seem crowded even during busy times.

• Visited March 2013
Weslaco, TX
“Weslaco Arturo's even better than the original Arturo's in Nuevo Progreso”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Service is good, especially for the Rio Grande Valley. Food is fresher better than one finds in other area restaurants and is more authentically Mexican, rather than "Tex-Mex" . Great Campuchana consisting of shrimp, although one would expect it to contain a variety of shellfish and octopus or squid as well. No one with whom I dined had a complaint. A range of dishes were enjoyed @ our table- all prepared to the satisfaction of the diners. The beverages were substantial. Prices reasonable. One complaint is the lack of sound-absorbing materials. The structure interior is stucco, the floors are wood, and there is nothing to dampen the clatter of dishes and glasses or the conversations of other diners.

Visited September 2012
South Texas
“good authentic. margaritas a little small for 5$”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Visited in late feb2012.
fresh and good service. Had combo fajitas. Quiet and convenient atmosphere.

• Visited February 2013
Spicewood, TX
“Service on the decline”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Been here many times, dating back to the '70s when it was located in Mexico.

Ordered the green enchiladas. They were average; the tomatillo sauce tasty but a bit heavy. The Avocado Pico de Gallo was bland. I had to add salt, but that beats oversalted food any day.

It took a long time for a server to visit my table. I had no napkin for the entire chips and salsa feed so I used the paper under the chips. Their salsa is too mild, but it has a great flavor. I was never asked if I needed more chips and salsa. Spotty service.

I think the place is overpriced too. Probably will not return. Too many other Mexican food restaurants here in the RGV to accept mediocrity.

• Visited February 2013