“OK for what it is”

Add it.
SALAD Express
Ranked #85 of 157 Restaurants in Webster
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Lets start by saying it's a buffet, there is not a lot to be said about buffet's they are normally messy, not the best waitstaff because people don't tip them for the service they do provide, so you don't get the top notch staff you see at other places. Now that that's out of the way the salad could use a little help, its not kept cool enough so it seems a little "slimy" sometimes. Overall you can pick and choose so there is always something that is good. thats whay we still frequent here after several trips.

There are newer reviews for SALAD Express

Reviewed June 24, 2010

Food was just okay. The spinach was good, but the romaine was way past its prime and I didn't take it. Vegetables are reasonably fresh, but those huge chunks! Can't they cut them to something close to bite-size? The goldfish, fried onion rings, etc. at the end are like something from 1970, as are the puddings and gloppy gelled fruits. C'mon, people, we've evolved from this crap, right? The soups all looked horrible, and I am vegetarian and there was only one soup that was allegedly vegetarian, but it was a thick mushroom-y thing that looked ghastly. So I passed on everything but just a salad with the healthy choices of vegies (there were some garbanzo beans and sunflower seeds for protein, thankfully). I had take-out, which turns out to be a pretty big rip-off. For just that salad it was $6.45 plus tax, only .50 less than if I had sat there eating tacos, potatoes, dessert, etc.all afternoon. I could have bought a Wendy's salad for $4.00 that was as good as this.

Reviewed February 25, 2010

One definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I was looking for a healthy lunch today and saw Salad Express Clear Lake on Bay Area Blvd and said, "What the hell." Insanity. I know better, but somehow I keep trying buffets in the hopes that I will like the results *at least once*. Yeah, I know; Insanity.Buffet meals are like a bet you make with the buffet owner. They bet you cannot eat more than your meal price worth of food from their buffet. You bet, by paying your price, that you can. Game on, buddy.But Salad Express suckered me by making me pay for a lot of buffet options I didn't want or couldn't eat and by providing high volumes of filling unhealthy food without regard for quality. I was a mere rube in front of a three-card-monte table on payday. Salad Express' genius is that it enables people who don't really *want* to diet the conceit of healthy eating by serving them starches covered in fats (baked potatoes, pasta, tacos) accompanied by goopy desserts (puddings, soft serve ice cream, gelled strawberries, fake whipped cream, and under-cooked sweet breads) in the mere *presence* of vegetables. Most of the place's offerings were off limits to my diet, so I searched the menu for the "just salad" or "just salad and soup" price, but there was only one price for all. This price was calculated, no doubt, based on the assumption that I wanted to lay down a few chopped veggies on my tray and then top them with 1200 calories of guilt-free incremental suicide.I should have backed away at that point. But I grabbed a plate anyway. Insanity.Immediately I frowned at the improperly cut vegetables. Every veggie on the buffet looked as if it were hastily prepared on the same slicer without even changing the cutting attachment. C'mon, for $6.45 can a fella get a simple julienne? Nope. Whole, thick, silver-dollar-sized slices of carrots and radishes, whole slices of red bell peppers, all the monster slice veggies taunted me saying, "I'm going to drip dressing on your shirt when you try to eat me. Na, na, na, na." And what the hell am I going to do with a whole slice of Jicama? Listen If you can't put a fork through it and eat it with a few other ingredients, including a piece of your greens and a bit of dressing, in one bite, take it off the bar and cut it smaller. Honor the laws of salad physics people!At the end, the topping station was an like an escape hatch for those who somehow got to the end of the salad bar with a salad that was reasonably healthy. There were fried noodles, fried Durkee onions, fake bacon bits, croutons, goldfish, and, as God is my witness, animal crackers. Animal. Freaking. Crackers. I was hoping for walnuts, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, rice crackers, etc. like that they offer on the salad bar at Jason's Deli (just two blocks away, and for less money, I noted wistfully.) Alas.So I'd have to try the soup. Aha! Vegetable Beef! At this point I didn't even mind that the titular beef was *ground* beef. But I *did* mind the fact that the beef was not properly drained. One bite left my mouth with a greasy sheen. Okay, chicken noodle, try the chicken noodle. The egg noodles were bloated and mushy. Zombie noodles. The soup was swarming with them so much that I could not even manage to skim off a simple ladle of broth and a few healthy ingredients. Cream of mushroom soup was over thickened and had the same monster slice vegetable problem as the salad bar. Nix. The red beans and rice soup was the best, had a pretty good flavor, but had way, way too much rice, which was mushy. It was like a soupy rice casserole, but I was able to strain out a ladle of soup with less rice. The soup strategy must have been to pump up the volume of the soups with cheap starches to provide a full feeling at the least possible cost. What's wrong with broth, huh? I like a soup that's, well, *soupy.* In danger of leaving still hungry and down seven bucks, I filled up on cottage cheese and the only fruit option that didn't come encased in sugary goop. So I wasted my lunch hour, wasted seven bucks, and I ended up wasting about 80% of the food I tried today. I am sure this waste factor is figured into my buffet price. How much more value could they deliver for the price if they served fewer selections of higher quality that are thoughtfully prepared? If my beef soup hadn't been sporting a grease slick I wouldn't have wasted three bowls of soup trying to find something else that was acceptable. If I didn't have to pick up my red bell pepper with my hands from the top of my salad because the slices were so freaking huge, I wouldn't have wasted as much salad. Instead I ended up pushing my plate away with annoyance, looking for something else to try. Insanity. Sometimes when you say "What the hell," that's exactly what you get. Lesson learned. I hope.At least you can learn from me and avoid Salad Express. Go to Jason's if you want a salad bar.

1  Thank cross_impact
Reviewed March 9, 2009

I'm not sure what the sore remarks were about in the previous post but we go there all the time and the food is always consistent, the price couldn't be better and they have even brought back Richard an older gentleman that was there years ago, he couldn't be friendlier. He told us they serve over 300 people a day, makes you realize they're doing something right.

1  Thank HorseMom1
Reviewed November 23, 2008

Tonight I went to the Salad Express. It will DEFINETLY be my last trip. The food was wilted and semi-fresh, the waitstaff underpaid and uniterested but the straw that breaks the camel's back is the person who is apparently the owner and could CARE LESS if he lost a customer. As he chit chatted with a to-go customer, I gave them both ample space --and at least five minutes to finish their conversation. I was then cut in front of by another person. I gave them both looks of "What are you doing?" and neither "gentleman" said anything. When I got the front after Mr. Crogmag finished paying, I asked the OWNER why he would allow that to happen, as he KNEW I was standing there. He replied that he had already rung the guy up. That was a LIE. I am 7 months pregnant, had been patiently waiting for him to finish his conversation and was visibly upset. His only reply was "sorry" and to that I let him know I would NEVER be back. His retort? "So." I then let him know I was not going to punish my waitress because of his rudeness, left a tip and left. I will allow that my hormones are what caused the crying the whole way home, but I kept it together in the car. The most unfortunate part? There is no corporation associated with "Rude Express" and so there is no one to hold this person accountable. If you care about customer service, I highly suggest you go to another place. A bag of 2-dollar spinach would prove more edible than the wilted garbage they had out tonight.

1  Thank stenok8