“Egg and I in Webster, TX, Proves Disappointing”

The Egg and I Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 155 Restaurants in Webster
Cuisines: American
Description: One of fourteen franchise locations in Texas. See URL for details.
Description: One of fourteen franchise locations in Texas. See URL for details.
Hurricane, Utah
“Egg and I in Webster, TX, Proves Disappointing”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

OK, so we love The Egg and I locations in our hometown of Las Vegas, so we were delighted to find one across the street from our hotel in Webster, Texas (suburb of Houston). We went in expecting the usual great food and great service, but we were in for a surprise.

We arrived (Friday morning, 11/15/13) and waited for a hostess, who eventually arrived and put our names on the waiting list. We took a seat in the very small lobby opposite the cashier to wait our turn. Diners ahead of us were served ahead of us. So far, so good.

Another diner arrived, solo, and was immediately taken to a table for four. We waited. A party of three arrived and were immediately seated at a table for four. We waited.

Finally another party arrived and were about to be seated when my wife stepped to the cashier, and asked when we would get our turn, as we had signed in some time ago. The reply was, “Who did you talk to?”

Well, nobody there wears name tags, so we had no idea of the person’s name. Besides, to quote Hillary Clinton, “What does it matter.” All you have to do is use the sign-in sheet and people get served in the order they arrived. First come, first served. Simple.

We did get seated next, and soon thereafter met our very personable and capable waiter, John, who did a fine job. We ordered our favorites from the menu at our Las Vegas locations, and waited with high hopes. In the meantime we asked to speak to the manager, so we could make him/her aware of the snafu at reception, and recommend two easy fixes.

We were introduced to a temporary manager, Dianne, on loan from another Houston location, who promised to pass our feedback and suggestions on to the real manager in a few days when she returned.

Our food arrived in due time, and although the menu description was identical to the ones in Vegas, the dishes looked a bit different. The taste was also different, as were the textures. My favorite, the Eggs Ranchero, had familiar looking ingredients, but turned out to be very short on cheese and sauce, and thus had a very dry nature.

I then recalled what Dianne had told us, that Egg & I was a franchise, every location owned by different people. We had assumed it was the same “chain” as in Vegas, but learned that an Egg & I is not necessarily an Egg & I. It’s obvious that the recipes are not identical, the presentations are not identical, the quality of the staff training is certainly not identical, the “systems” are not identical.

In short, Egg & I lacks standardization across locations, you get different experiences depending on who owns the location you pick.

All other franchise companies I frequent (McDonalds, Salt Grass Steakhouse, IHOP, Outback) have standards which they communicate and enforce. That’s how you know you’ll get an equivalent experience anywhere in the country.

The Egg & I locations in Las Vegas are “The Gold Standard” and should be copied throughout the franchise network. The Webster, TX, location has much to learn.

Next trip to Webster, it's back to the IHOP for us.

Dean Herrington

• Visited November 2013

Webster, Texas
“too good”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

good coffee and the Mexican skillet was outstanding ; (what I snatched of) my wife's stuffed french toast was really good too; can't wait to try more of their tempting offerings

Visited October 2013
Houston, Texas
“Eggselent service and food”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Love the "Hiker's Benedict" for breakfast and the chicken sandwich on raisin bread. Tends to be very crowded on weekends, unfortunately.

Visited August 2013
Jacksonville, Texas
“Overrated Restaurant with a Pricey Menu!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Have eaten here with relatives about a half dozen times and the food is just average. Stay away from the eggs benedict as the last two times I had them, they made me very sick! Don't know if it was the hollandaise sauce or bad eggs, but I wont ever eat those again there. The wait is normally long at this restaurant (I don't know why since its average food and service) and there is no place to sit while waiting unless you want to sit outside in the heat on a bench! Very pricey menu for the routine types of entrees that they serve. It would appear that the names of the entrees are "dressed up" so as to jack up the price. Service is mediocre at best and lots of kids screaming and crying to really get your day going! Temperature in the place runs from hot/humid to freezing.....dining rooms are divided so there is no way to regulate the temperature in the place. Last two times I asked to have some more air conditioning and the folks in the other room were asking for the heat! Anyway, I sweated my way through breakfast. Parking is also at a premium at this location in the strip mall......In my opinion, this place is not worth the effort when there are lots of other breakfast food restaurants in the area.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank gigem74
“Great start to our day”
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

We were very impressed with all the dishes we ordered. All the staff was friendly and prompt. There was no wait and the environment was nice and clean. Very glad to have found this place. My family will be eating there often.

• Visited June 2013