“New & clean, excellent location, good breakfast & nice staff. Reservation issue.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Space Center-Clear Lake
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Webster
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here with extended family, and overall had an excellent stay. The hotel looks and smells brand new, everything was spotless, and the breakfast had a good selection and was fresh (hot dish selections such as scrambled eggs & sausages, a number of types of pastries, different juices, pancake maker, hot cinnamon rolls, etc). The staff was especially nice during our stay, and the woman who staffed the breakfast room was very sweet. We did not swim in the pool, but it looked nice from the windows. There is a small convenience store area next to the front desk, and the breakfast room is roomy and comfortable, and overlooks the pool. One of my sons noticed a cute painting of birds in the middle of the ceiling of the breakfast room.

The rooms were spotless and also -- granite walls on the tubs, everything was clean and new. The beds were comfortable and each bed had both soft and firm pillows (all new & in good shape, with 2 covers on each pillow -- we have allergies & appreciate those things!). Floor was clean, carpet looked new. There was a desk with a rolling chair, and a roomy armchair which doubled for us as a bed rail for one of our children who rolls.

Location is right off 45, less than 10 minutes from NASA. It is just far enough off the highway that you don't hear highway noise from the rooms. Our room overlooked the pool, but it was quiet at night. Window curtains shut out the light in the morning. We all slept well.

Our only issue seems to be a problem with the website reservation system, and I am guessing it will be resolved after seeing another recent post below. We had reserved two standard rooms, one for an older couple, and one for two parents and two children. We marked on the website form that there would be 4 people in one of the rooms, and had called the front desk when we made the reservations to make sure we'd get two beds in that room, and we were told that we would. When my father called again on the morning we planned to drive down, however, he was told that we had been assigned a king room for both rooms, and that they would have to add foldaway/rolling beds to each room for the kids (this would not work for us). A conversation with the manager cleared things up, and she was very nice, but Holiday Inn reservations needs to resolve this issue to avoid stress for both staff and families. Until it is resolved, we would definitely stay here again, but would call ahead & speak with a manager when booking reservations to make sure we are booking a room that accommodates our kids.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank E L

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I recently booked accommodations for a large group with multiple rooms for a workshop in the Clear Lake area. The entire staff was extremely helpful and friendly through the entire process including our stay. The pricing was reasonable and everything was clean and well maintained. We did have some issues with the noisy neighbors on the weekend, but that was due to some poor parenting of young children and the hotel was helpful when we called to let them know there was a problem. I would definitely consider using this hotel again in the future for my business groups.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Angie D
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel staff was friendly and courteous. also very helpful. the cleaning staff kept the rooms clean and very presentable. the breakfast buffet was good. the only thing that would not get a good review from me was the internet access in the rooms. at times, it was worse than dialup. I did not try the internet in the business office, so I did not know about the access there.
Other than that, great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here 7/5/13-7/7/13. Upon arriving around 5:30pm we were told by the woman at the front desk that she'd been trying to contact us. There were no missed called or voicemails on either of our cell phones and we don't have a home phone. She proceeded to tell us that even though we'd booked 2 queen beds a week ago, they only had rooms with 1 king available. She kept blaming "the system." Well, we are a married couple with a 9 year old daughter so this presented a problem. I told them it would be okay if we could just have a roll away bed. Nope, they were out of those. I asked her exactly what I was supposed to do and she just shrugged and said she had 5 more groups of people coming in after us who were going to get the same news we just got. After asking more than once she finally agreed to give us a whopping $20 a night off our 2 night stay. That is a 16% discount. We accepted the 1 king room, although I'd later find out the hotel has a policy of 2 people maximum occupancy in that room. I wonder if we were breaking fire code by having 3 people in the room? We made my daughter a pallet on the floor. She was very uncomfortable and neither she nor I slept well that night. They called and woke us up around 9 am the next morning to tell us they had a room with 2 queen beds available. We had to pack up all our stuff and move to the other room. I noticed in the bathroom a sign that said something to the effect of "if you aren't happy with any part of your stay, you don't have to pay for it." Maybe it's just me but I consider not having the room we booked, and my child having to sleep on the floor, is more than 16% of our stay, which is the discount they gave. It would have been great had we gotten the room we booked. As it was my daughter and myself were both very tired the next day which was quite a bummer as we'd already purchased moody garden tickets for that day. I feel like we wasted not only the money we spent on the hotel room, but also the money we spent on tickets to moody garden, which are NOT cheap. If you're going to stay here, you might want to call and check multiple times to make sure they're going to have the room you booked available for you. BTW we booked through their website, not a 3rd party.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EmilyW30
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston Space Center-Clear Lake, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear EmilyW30,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the issues you experienced surrounding your reservation. We certainly regret this impacted your overall experience with us. I have taken note of your comments and shared these with our Reservation team to review the procedures we have in place and make necessary improvements to our service to ensure guests do not experience this in the future.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and leaving us your feedback. We value your comments as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. It was located conveniently near NASA, Kemah and Galveston. (The exit for the hotel is a little hard to find if coming from the north. Look for the signs, rather than relying on the GPS.)
Beds comfortable, breakfast very nice with good variety, pool and grounds clean and well-maintained. Staff was very professional. I booked a double queen through Priceline. I found out that when you use a 'third-party' booking agent, there is no guarantee that you will get the type of room you wanted. The front desk employee was very kind when she explained this to me as the four of us (me, hubby, two teen boys) were about to be placed in a King room. (Yikes!) She rectified the situation by offering a King Suite at no extra charge and we were able to add a roll-away. Great customer service!
Highly recommend and will definately return

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AngiePRN
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were in town for a family trip. This hotel was in a perfect location. It is right off the freeway. However, it was very quiet. The staff was very friendly. The manager stopped us in the hall to make sure our room was nice. The room was very nice. The bathroom was clean and stocked with everything we needed. The room was very clean. The beds were comfortable. Housekeeping was very friendly and helpful. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel because we slept too late. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2013

During a recent quick trip to League City, TX this Holiday Inn Express was recommended to me. This is a New Location with all the features of a Holiday Inn Express, I enjoyed my stay as a business traveler from the time I walked in the door. Breakfast was excellent, checkout was quick and the staff professional.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business