“My husband and I got carded!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Playa Maya

La Playa Maya
Ranked #85 of 141 Restaurants in Weatherford
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: they also have locations in Ft. Worth
Fort Worth, Texas
“My husband and I got carded!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I've eaten at several of the La Playa (Maya) restaurants in Fort Worth and always enjoyed my meals. My husband and I tried the La Playa Maya in Weatherford after returning from a long trip. I left my purse at home and arrived during happy hour, so I ordered a pina colada and my husband ordered a margarita. We got carded! Things went fine for him, but not having my ID made it awkward. It's not like I'm mistaken for an underage drinker, said no one ever. First, I seldom have alcohol. But I remembered that their pina coladas were almost like dessert, and so there I sat, waiting to see what management would do. The waitress consulted someone and returned to the table to see if I recalled my DL number. They ran my husband's DL through a credit-card-like machine, and entered my number manually. We got our drinks (finally--really, took longer than 20 minutes) but the waitress also forgot to turn in our food order (nachos for him, chicken enchiladas for me). We waited while everyone who came in after us got their food. To be fair, our waitress offered to comp us each a sopapilla at her expense, but we declined as the food was plentiful and we left full of decent Mexican food. Their flour tortillas are fantastic, by the way. And as my husband and I discussed why they would card us (at our ages), a man seated in a booth nearby chimed in and said that there are day cares on either side of the restaurant and that was the reason. Something about their license...whatever. I'm rating them four-stars because if the evening went off without a hitch and if we didn't get carded, and if our waitress had actually not gotten so rattled that she turned our food order in on time, that's what I would've rated them. And consider the source, nobody gets five stars from me for Mexican food except The Original in Fort Worth, so this may actually turn out to be a five-star restaurant for you.

• Visited April 2013

Azle, Texas
“Very Quaint and Personable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Very nice place to get Mexican food. The wait staff was very nice and helpful. Margaritas were very good. The Carne Asada is very tender and is a large portion.

Visited February 2013
“Pleasant but not exceptional”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

A pleasant restaurant but nothing really great. The Margarita's are great but the food whilst pleasant is not exceptional. Service was prompt and friendly. The prices were slightly higher that comparable Mexican offerings availabke within a 10 miunte drive.

• Visited December 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great salsa, diverse menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Located beside WIllhite Furniture, near Wanda's. They have traditional favorites plus seafood options. Tasty but higher prices than other options in the area, still reasonable. Service is usually great.

Visited November 2012
Fort Worth, TX
“Mediocre Mexican at Best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

First, the chips and salsa are pretty good....but that's where it ends. Our service was terrible even though we were one of 2 tables in the place. We had empty water glasses almost the entire meal. Rice and beans are average -- beans did taste like they were out of a can. I had the chile rellanos, and it looked like they were stuffed after they were cooked. The chicken inside them was lackluster and didn't really have any seasonings. My husband had enchiladas, and again they were just ok -- nothing good or bad. It's my opinion that there is better Mexican Food in Weatherford.

Visited October 2011