“I'll go with the pasta and a quart of 10W40”
Review of Chef Point Cafe

Chef Point Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Chef Point Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Watauga
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Five Star Food in a gas station. Featured on Food Networks Diners Drive-ins and dive, Paula Deen Magazine, CNN, New York Times and many others.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is a great place as seen on the TV show Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives as you probably know by now. We were taken there completely unknowing so the guy pulls into the Conoco gas station and announces we are here. I'm looking at my co-worker thinking what the. . . . we go in and sure enough it IS a gas station with a restaurant, but not just any restaurant. Great selection, HUGE portions, great service, and we were sat almost immediately for lunch. There's actually a full bar also. Actually this is not a small restaurant, you just can't see it well from the front. Food was good and more that I could possible eat and I'm a big guy. I would call it a bit pricey but given the portion size, it was two meals. I had the pasta, which was good, nothing out of this world, but good. It's hard to really judge a restaurant with one visit but I would only give this place super high marks in my one visit there. I don't really need a lunch that large or to spend the extra dollars so I'm not sure I'd go back other than to bring someone who hasn't been there so everyone should go once and see for themselves!

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Not as good as some in our group remembered from before the expansion. We were quite disappointed in our food and the waitress was pushy and overcharged us by $8 because two of us shared a dinner and salad. Never have experienced this since we also ordered an appetizer, fried green tomatoes, the best part of the meal. The hamburger was almost too dry to swallow, the crab meat in the stuffed chicken was very fishy and their famous bread pudding was so bad it ended up in the trash. Funny thing about the dessert, we were discussing getting one to go when she simply set it on the table and added it to the bill. I know we should have talked to the manager, but we had all had an exhausting day and had no fight left in us. Just wanted a good relaxing meal and we did not get one.

Paula M, Owner at Chef Point Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Chef Point is a small family owned business and we take great pride in the quality of food we serve as well as the service we deliver. I am extremely sorry we did not deliver on either note. I wish you would have told a manager the night you were in with your group so we could have tried to resolve the problem. Please allow us to send you a gift card to come back and try us again.

Paula Merrell Nwaeze
Owner

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Just went back 11/9/2013, and it was much bigger than when they first opened and appeared on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. We went in a group of 6 and 5 enjoyed their food, but there was some problem with the drinks. Waitress wasn't sure if we could get a stalk of celery in the bloody mary. Seems they had three kinds and the one that was ordered didn't usually come with it. She had to check to see if they could make an exception! Really? It's just a stalk of celery! They have only two vegan options, a salad or spaghetti! Come on guys, lets get a little creative, i can get that at Olive Garden! When the spaghetti came it was swimming in water, so I asked them to take it back and drain it, and take the cheese off. Second try, no cheese, still swimming. Third try worked, and then was followed by two "managers" apologizing and making excuses. Hey, it's only a bowl of spaghetti, drain it and slap some sauce on it. I would like to suggest a pasta/veggie/olive oil dish that offers some creativity and some effort. But everyone is so taken with the fact that these guys were on TV and they can do no wrong. Liked it before they went "big time".

1  Thank dmvc61
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Its hilarious but seriously on point. . . the idea of a gasoline station serving dinner food. We went on a Friday night and it was crowded. Despite having a reservation, we had to wait about 20 minutes to be seated. Obviously, the place has had excellent press and media coverage...hence the large crowds We had a drink at the bar but it wasn't comfortable because of the limited space there and the waiters were always crossing our paths. Once seated, I ordered the lobster bisque followed by the grilled chicken with vegetables. The soup was excellent. My main course was just above average. There were no complaints from the others in my party. We had two bottles of wine which was also good but in my opinion too expensive. The entire idea is purely novel. I'm glad I went but I seriously doubt I'd return. I don't feel the price of the food was a good value. And nothing else (in the restaurant)elevated the experience to raise my opinion. The service was also just so so. When we left, it was about 10pm and the place had already cleared out.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was visiting family and we deciding to come back here and again it was really great. We ordered the shrimp and grits, which had a wonderful texture and taste. The ox tail, best sauce, hands down. The shepards pie with amazing!!! Mashed potatoes. The country fried steak which had a great tasting gravy. The bread pudding and the lobster bisque ( which I'm getting my own next time)chick were fabulous. Enjoyed a fantastic brunch and will happily come again!

Thank your for the wonderful review!

Paula Merrell Nwaeze