“Helpful & friendly staff”
Review of Hilton Waco

Hilton Waco
Ranked #7 of 30 Hotels in Waco
Waco, Texas
“Helpful & friendly staff”
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Hotel was clean and room was as well. Room was well appointed and tastefully decorated. GM was very helpful with solving a problem with reservation. Did I mention the quality of the bedding? Just lovely!

• Stayed December 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Let me begin by saying when we first checked in Alvin was fantastic he was so polite and greeted us with a warm smile. When we arrived at our room we were facing the Brazos river it was such a beautiful site. That night we went to the Brazos Cafe which was highly recommended by Alvin when we arrived. Boy was he spot on. Let me tell you we started off with a couple of drinks in the H-Bar then proceeded to the Cafe. We had the sun-dried tomato humms dip and it was absolutely wonderful. I had the basil chicken pasta and my husband had the stuffed chicken another homerun. Everthing was cooked to perfection. The waitress April asked us if we would like a couple of the homemade desserts. At first we were hesitant but she talked us into sharing the lemon cheesecake. Oh my gosh it was to die for soft, creamy and you could tell alot of love had been put into making it. It is a experiance we will never forget. The next morning we had breakfast and it was another homerun. The chef Stephen Friday came out and talked with us for we wanted to thank him for the great meals we had enjoyed. He was so polite and gracious you could tell he really enjoyed what he was doing. Overall this was a fantastic stay the room was clean and cozy the people who we encountered when extremely hospitable. I highly suggest that people stay here you won't be disappointed. Great service and excellent food.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 6, 2010

This Hilton was the premiere Waco hotel at one time but even their 2008 room make over couldn't help the build up of years of indifference ingrained in the longtime staff. Roger their new General Manager has made strides of late to correct this with his willingness to communicate with his guests and his choice of new hires. One of those new hires is A. D. Stephens, Maintenance Supervisor a man that practices what he preaches, do it the right way the first time and take pride in your job because you have one. I am sorry to say I inadvertently made it possible to meet two of Mr. Stephens new hires and they were both polite, knowledgeable, and happy to work there. As I was leaving with luggage in hand, Dustin (maintenance, day-shift) even said thanks for staying and hopes I come back soon.

Now comes the confession. My room was connected to a meeting room so I had two doors to my hotel room to which I on two separate occasions, two different rooms locked the deadbolt and exited through another door. The first time it took an hour and 45 minutes for the night manager to find a key however, the next day and second room it took about three minutes and that was because I am sure they had to finish laughing before they met with me.

I do not believe guests will be met with the same indifference as in the past but Roger still has a great deal to accomplish. When changing rooms from the fifth floor to the 11th I encountered two maid service attendants sitting crossed legged in the hall for over 30 minutes right outside my room with their cart at the other end of the hall. (I indeed alerted the front desk.) Attention needs to be made in the cleanliness of the maids I would not use the coffee cups in the first room I had because there was coffee on the outside of the cups. Following my moving my the last piece of luggage they cleaned up my room for the next guest without so much as a wipe of the refrigerator because if they had, they would have seen it was full and I was not quite done with my room transfer. This type of cleaning gives fodder to the phobic and those without sanitizing wipes.

Another point of disappointment was in the restaurant. On Wednesday afternoon the tea drinker at our table finally got up and found the tea herself. While waiting for soda refills that didn't quite make it I overheard the waitress commenting to a patron that they only had three people manning the restaurant and room service. A couple came in as we were leaving and had to go to the back and ask for assistance. The cook came out and apologized that the waitress had to make a room service run and he would cover for her. That same couple later in their stay ordered a pitcher of iced tea from room service which came with out glasses. It is hard to tip "according to service" if there isn't any, even if it is no fault of the server. This is unacceptable. With that said the barrister was wonderful, pleasant and personable as was the host and hostesses encountered in the executive hospitality room.

Now the hardware. The beds, pillows, and linens were very comfortable. I had minor maintenance issues in both rooms that were taken care of immediately. The only true concern I had was the phone by the bed in my first room was not in working order. The bathrooms are a little cramped but workable. The lighting by the vanity needs to be improved drastically and a make-up mirror would be greatly appreciated. I did not encounter the problem with hot water as others in my group did, but this is a problem the staff is aware of and is working to correct, as with their wireless Internet which should be completed by December 15th.

Over all I am cautious but very optimistic that this Hilton will return to the quality one rightfully expects when visiting a Hilton Hotel thanks to Roger, A.D Stephens and his young protégés.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Lovie2
Washington DC
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stayed first time at this property on a business trip. The hotel is really old and most of the experience would feel like Tier 2 or Tier 3 hotels.

The highlight of our stay was noisy window ACs that are louder than most generators. The first night, one couldn't sleep at all because of the noise. The second night, the maintenance guy showed us 8 empty rooms on the same floor, each one competing with the other for the loudest noise.

Finding no better choice, we lowered the AC temp to 62 before leaving for dinner and shutting the AC off before going to sleep

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank ppfc
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 20, 2010

I have traveled all over the world and have stayed at many hilton and I have to say this is the worse Hilton I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at this Hilton at least 5 times and they always happen to have my reservations messed up or they run out of non-smoking rooms or the rooms smell bad. The food (I have only ate breakfast there) is not very good and the old guy they have cooking is rude. Even the Hilton in downtown Venzuela (horrible part of town) is better in service and food.......

Very disappointed......

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Longhorns99
Waco113, General Manager at Hilton Waco, responded to this review, September 24, 2010
Longhorns99,

While it isn't always easy to hear reviews like yours, it is vitally important to the Hilton Waco as a team to hear these criticisms when they arise. We are dependant upon guests such as yourself to give us this feedback in order to improve our guest experience and for you to take the time to express your concerns I am very appreciative of. Often times these issues will go unreported and we are unable to make the necessary corrections to ensure positive future guest stays.

If there is anyway that we would be able to positively impact your opinion of our hotel in anyway, I would encourage you to contact me directly. Again, I appreciate your willingness to give us feedback and hope that your future stays with us or elsewhere encounter no issues.

Roger Copas
Hilton Waco
113 S University Parks
Waco, TX 76711
Houston
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We had stayed at this location many times while our children were in Baylor. We were so surprised by the lovely look now. The lobby was warm and welcoming. The lobby bar was inviting (especially at happy hour with $1 draft beer and $4 appetizers.) Our room was beautiful with an extremely comfortable bed. The only down side is the air conditioner was loud. It wasn't too bad, because I slept well all night. The breakfast buffet at $14 was a deal, too. I will be sure to stay at this Hilton again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jantexHouston
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2010

The staff were exceptional! Chef Clark at the morning buffet is a real treat, everyone in the hotel was eager to assist and friendly. Service A+ - Sleep quality, well it's not the Hilton's fault that the location is adjacent to railroad tracks. We were woken up at 4 am each night by the chugga chugga and very loud train whistle. - F. The pool deck was filthy, could use a good power washing. Crickets abound in and around the pool, and the trees, while lovely for their shade provide a constant source of bird poop all over the deck - F The air conditioner was noisy, also leaked water and had a musty smell. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in the past in Hillsboro and it offers superior quality for only being about 20 minutes away.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple