“Good food and great staff”

George's Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #9 of 430 Restaurants in Waco
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Very nice and accommodating staff. We requested an easily accessible table, no problem. Our waitress, Jordan, was friendly & efficient. She immediately surmised our guests were a little hard of hearing, spoke a tad louder and was very patient. The half order of chicken fried steak was more than adequate, two side and lots of gravy (white & brown). Onion rings were delicious, crispy and not greasy. Cobblers were ok as was the fudge pie. Five dinners, desserts and drinks for just under $70. Will return!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

After reading all the good reviews my daughter and I decided we had to try George's. I ordered the chicken fried steak. It was a lot of batter with a small piece of flavorless round steak. Sides were so-so, baked potato tasted left over and ceasar salad dressing was right out of the store shelf bottle. My daughter ordered the tenderloin. It was served cut into pieces and marinated in a sauce. For 15.99 she was expecting nice tender steak, but this version fell short. Wait staff was friendly and attentive. Place was very busy so maybe we were expecting to much but we will not be back.

1  Thank FYITEXAS
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant may not look like much but the food and service are outstanding. Our waitress informed us the specials and I decided to try the all you can eat catfish. I am not a big eater but the price was good so I went for it. I was not disappointed. The fish was quite tasty as well as the cole slaw and fries. I was not sure about the beans. They appeared to be ranch style beans but were not. They were fabulous. Kinda a combination of baked beans and ranch style. Sweet and a little spicy. Yum. I did not even finish the first portion of fish much less go for more because he first plate was "all I could eat".

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Laid back great food.. country fired steaks are the best and of course help yourself to a Georges Big O draft with some Brisket doesn't get any better Can handle a large part if needed. Not open Sundays

Reviewed July 9, 2014

A Waco icon, George’s is really more about nostalgia than the food, but if you’re looking for a smorgasbord of artery-clogging fried food – this is the place. (There ARE a few healthy options, like salads, but that’s not really why you go to George’s.)
Every meal at George’s should begin with a basket of it’s fluffy little rolls (make sure you dip them in ranch for the full experience) and an order of the world famous Crazy Wings. Crazy Wings are balls of chicken, jalapenos and jack cheese wrapped in BACON – ‘nuff said.
For your entree, you can’t go wrong with Chicken Fried Steak (George’s is the reigning, 12-time Best of Waco champion for CFS). Add a Big O of your favorite beer (or margarita), mashed potatoes and fried okra, and you’ll be in a heavenly food coma for the rest of the evening.
For both townies and Baylor grads, George’s has always been one of those places that reminds you that you’re home.

Been to George's Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!