“Good catfish”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Huntsville, Texas
“Good catfish”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Finding good farm-raised catfish anywhere is a challenge, but the Catfish King restaurants across NE Texas are one good choice, when they're run well. It's hard to write a review of any of them, since (a) catfish is a harder thing to get right than many other kinds of food, and (b) unless they're doing booming business at the location, as the one on Summerhill Road in Texarkana, for example, does, it's hard for them to stay consistent. (Read my separate review of the Denton location.) Having said that, the fish I got this week in Waco was good, as were the hushpuppies (love the 'stick' ones--they're back) and slaw and tomato relish. Fries were weird and inedible.

• Visited October 2013

Waco
“Waco Lacks Seafood”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

There are few places to get good seafood in Waco. Catfish King is in dire need of renovation and updating, but it is the only place in a hundred miles that has decent catfish.

Visited April 2013
Hewitt, Texas
“No idea how the've stayed open so long.”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've lived in the Waco area for nearly 10 years and Catfish King has been open ever since I moved to the area. Last Saturday I decided to try it for the first time thinking, "How could they stay open for so long if they weren't any good?" After one bite, I still have no good answer. The french fries and hus puppies were fine, but they taste just as good as Long John Silvers. The catfish was chewy and rubbery. It wasn't too expensive but it was still more costly than Long John Silvers and the quality really isn't any better. Also the restaraunt was a little dirty and some lady that worked there kept staring at me suspiously. It was weird. I finally ate there after 9 1/2 years and I won't be going back.

• Visited May 2013
Eddy, Texas
“DISAPPOINTING CATCH”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I recently had lunch at Catfish King in Waco. The food was extremely disappointing. We were there about 12:30 so we expected the food to be fresh and hot. It was neither hot nor fresh. There were several diners who were waiting so we would have thought we were all waiting for a fresh batch of catfish. When the catfish came to the table, it was slightly warm, chewy and just not appetizing. The cole slaw was extremely sweet but at least cold. The beans and hush puppies were hot and very good. It is very important to have fish fresh and at a good temperature. We did not finish our meal and will probably not go back.

• Visited May 2013
Waco
“Worst ever”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Still trying to figure out how they are staying in business. Slow service, food taste awful, and not so reasonable prices.

Visited December 2012