“"Best burgers in town, and the dessert is to die for"”

Jake's Texas Tea House
Ranked #1 of 11 Coffee & Tea in Waco
Cuisines: American
Description: 1940's vintage gas station themed restaurant. We serve a large menue with a fun family atmosphere.
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is what a shop owner up the street told me - I cannot vouch for the burgers, since I did not have any, nor dessert, but the quiche was hot out of the oven, and the fresh fruit on the side had a very large and varied selection, all fresh (except for the canned pineapple which could have been left out without anyone missing it). The desserts going by my table at lunch were great looking, and it took all my willpower to pass -- next time perhaps.
The decor is funky and fun --
Judging by the folks dining on a Thursday lunch hour, there was a fun variety of policemen, white haired ladies, business men and whole families -- something for everyone it seems.
Next door is a newly established gallery with local art - well worth a visit to a new downtown brimming with hope and energy.

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I found this secret spot and have been back several times. The food is fresh and delicious. The staff is efficient and provide excellent service. Saturday night dinner is family style. You get plenty of food. My husbands love the pork chops and I love the chopped hamburger steak. There are many dessert choices offering homemade pies, cakes and cobbler. The hummingbird cake is outstanding! Usually have to take dessert to go. The inside is decorated with old cars and oil/gas themed items. Any age guest will enjoy this experience.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stopped by this past Sunday before dropping my daughter off at "band camp" at Baylor University. The Sunday meals are served family style. This was kind of new to me. The salads are prepared at your table and all the sides are served in bowls that you can serve yourself from. Vegetables and bread are all you can eat. I had the hamburger steak, my wife had chicken tenders. Vegetables were creamed corn, mashed potatoes, green beans and black eyed peas. Overall some of the best southern cooking I've had in quite some time. Wait staff and management were friendly,knowledgeable and attentive. I really think anyone can enjoy this place, we really did and will probably go back next week.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

My group of 6 enjoyed the Chcicken Fried Steak, baked goods/desserts baked on the premises, nice salad, tasty corn, mashed potatos etc. Many of the sides were served family style. Entrees were so large we ordered 3 entrees (~$14) and 3 sharing plates ($7.99) where you get all of the sides and bread but share the huge entree. 1950's cut in half Ford Fairlane, lots of oil signs and license plate tags. Restaurant in historic part of town in old brick building. had plenty of free saturday evening off-street parking despite being in downtown. My hole group enjoyed it. They had run out of pot roast before we arrived--menu mentions this possibility

1  Thank John B
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We went by and really enjoyed the decor of the restaurant. Our kids got fun meals in car-shaped boxes. The food was decent, not remarkable. We were looking forward to dessert, which I think could have been great, but our service was so bad that we decided not to stay for dessert. The owner seated us and was kind, and the other servers seemed helpful, but our server seemed annoyed when we asked for things, and he did offer anything unless we flagged him down to ask.