“Worth a visit”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

A nicely done exhibit of a paleontological dig. The site held the bones of a "nursery" group of baby mammoths and some other creatures. The tour guide was informative, but did not know the answer to questions that went a little beyond what we were looking at. Not hard to find.

Visited August 2011

Granbury, Texas
153 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 402 helpful votes
“Waco Mammoth Site - Waco's best kept secret.”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We had been through Waco a million times and never heard of this site. We bought a day trip book and found it there. It's a small park run by the City of Waco and Baylor University that has an office (with show and information) where you begin your walk to the site. Go with a free tour guide as they add much more to the experience! We learned a lot about the Waco area and especially the large mammals that used to live there. Again, can't stress enough how you need to go with a tour guide.

Visited July 2011
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Well Worth It If You Like Dinosaur Bones”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We stopped here using Trip Advisor's "near me now" mobile search. It is not too far off from I35, which is a great quick break to learn while you stretch. The tour was pretty cool. We had a couple of "oh really? I didn't know that." Good job Waco!

2 Thank travcav
Pottsboro, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Must See!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We drove out to the site and took the tour and it was worth every penny. This site is not advertised enough but hopefully will be soon. I caught an episode on the History channel today and they told the whole story of how it was found, great. The site is air conditioned and you can visit in comfort. to me it is a MUST SEE! It is located at 6220 Steinbeck Bend, Waco, TX.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank lucytexoma
Round Rock, Texas
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A nice afternoon trip for the palentologist in all of us”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I have been driving through Waco since the late 70s and never knew that this place existed. The city recently built a visitor's center and began offering tours. I cannot say that it is a destination location but it is an interesting stopover if you are going through Waco or live within a hour or so. We learned a lot and my 10 year old niece enjoyed it, too. Longterm, I think that this place has a lot of potential and may become a major tourist attraction but is not there yet. Expect to spend maybe an hour at the facility.

Visited March 2011