“Average at best”

Dining options: Dinner
Texas
“Average at best”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

My wife and I ate at Sams on the Square this past weekend. We were two of about 8 people in the entire restaurant. Sad for a Saturday night.I had the brisket taco and a fried fish taco with a side of charro beans. There was only a minimal amount of brisket on the taco and the fish taco was bland. The beans tasted like they came out of a can. The trifecta appetizer was good. I had anticipated much better food but we were very dissapointed. Probably won't be back.

Waco, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Will not go there again.”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

We had read in the "Bite of Wisdom" about the place called Sam's on the Square. It sounded like a neat place to go and eat. So my husband and I decided to go on Friday for late lunch. We arrived at 12:40pm, and yes it was crowded, but not like most other places we have been to before. We really felt like the main rush lunch crowd would be almost over by the time we got there and ordered. We were greeted and asked where we wanted to sit. Well, we thought upstairs would be nice and warm. There were 2 other groups of about 6 people at each table and then us at another table. At 12:43, we ordered our water as our drink. And yes we timed everything, because we wanted to see since a new place, just how good they really were. At 12:48 we finally got our water and ordered our food.

My husband ordered the California Club with a much recommended BBQ Chili Fries as his side for $7.99. I ordered the Grilled Mahi Mahi taco for $3.99. At 1:25pm, after both tables were cleared, we were the only ones left upstairs. A waitress came with our food, unfortunately, it was not our order, so she apologized and left. Well we finally decided that if we are still here at 1:40pm we would leave because that means we have been there an hour without any food. Finally at 1:31 our food order came. I am sad to say, what a huge disappointment this was. We were so hoping that the food would be so good that it would overcome for being late. That was not the case, my taco was cold, his BBQ fries were not exactly what we anticipated, and his sandwich was just plain. I thought mine came with a side, but I guess I was wrong. So after waiting almost an hour for our food, it only took me 5 mins or less to eat that one taco. This is the 2nd place I have attempted to try after reading the Bite of Wisdom. I can truthfully say, I will just pick out my own places going forward. I hope Sam's on the Square makes some improvements, or it will not last very long.

• Visited February 2012
Hewitt
“New menu, more expensive”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We've always liked this place and part of the appeal was that you could have a fun meal, cheap. Happy hour offered drink specials - which they still do. The new menu has many of the same items on it plus a whole new section called house specialties. Previously you could choose a taco, and add two sides for a flat cost of $5+. That is no longer an option. Now you can choose a taco and add sides @1.99 each which isn't a bargain. The food is good - this visit we had the cuban cigar appetizer - a tortilla filled with sausage, corn and beans, rolled and fried and served with queso dip - you get 3 for $7.99. We also had a steak quesadilla which is one average size tortilla with some steak, cheese and veggies in it, served with a dab of sour cream. Not overstuffed by any stretch and it was $6.29. It was good, but average. We both had a skinny senorita margarita - different with the addition of exotic juices. While we still like this place it is no longer the great value it it once was and prices are more in line with the higher prices that downtown establishments like to charge - which means we won't frequent very often.

Visited January 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Service puts a damper on good food”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Unfortunately, the somewhat clueless service at Sam's spoils what should be a unique Waco dining experience. When you enter the restaurant, the people at the hostess stand don't seem to know what to do or it takes a group conference to make a decision. It wasn't crowded when we got there, yet the hostess wanted to seat us at a table by the front door and the hostess stand on a rainy night after a Baylor game. It was sure to get crowded later, and did. Why would anyone want to sit there when many other tables were available and not reserved?

Our waiter was fine, but the food was slow to arrive, probably 35-40 minutes later for nachos, street tacos and quesadillas. All were tasty. It took about 25 minutes to finally get them to change the television to a football game from a sitcom on one of football's biggest Saturday nights. The hostess said she was too overwhelmed to change it.

The place was busy and downtown definitely needs the restaurant to succeed. I think Sam needs to place more emphasis on service to keep the customers coming and to get the kitchen to speed up some.

• Visited December 2011
Waco, Texas
“Great Place to Unwind”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Sam's is quite a find for this area, and it’s extremely convenient location right in the heart of Waco makes this place a must visit. The cuisine is a little something different with unique spins on classic American and tex-mex dishes. For an appetizer, you can’t go wrong with queso blanco, or Cuban cigars. Their ceviche was excellent and fresh which you rarely find in this area. For your entree you will enjoy their burger or tacos, reminiscent of street style food. However, some of their flavors are a bit over complicated but worth the time and money to try this place out. The drinks are good, and prices are very reasonable. Dollar for Dollar you can't beat Sam's. Service has been rocky, if your picky about that, then you will have some issues. The staff is not very attentive and usually a bit clueless when it comes to serving a table, but always friendly. Over all, a great place to unwind.

• Visited July 2011