“Out of the way place...”

Alamo River RV Resort
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Alamo River Ranch Resort: Dog & horse friendly. Large camp sites. Not much shade in the upper RV sites. There are more sites down a steep hill & around by the river but please note, it can be muddy & wet so please use caution when driving off the drive path. Even parts of the drive path can be a but rutty. The horse stalls seem to be only in the lower sites & at the very end. We only saw two stalls there so you may need to bring some portable stalls if you should bring horses. There are several trails to ride on or hike.

There are small cabins to rent, a dog run area, fire pits & picnic tables in the campsites. In our site, however, there was no visible water access, we had to ask about it. The offc manager that assisted us w/locating our site said we'd have to disconnect the neighbor's water to use the water spigot. Why do we have to do that? He said that there was no other water hookup there & that they were gone til the next day so it didn't really matter, mmmmkaaay. That's not something I would expect from a campground, there should be a water spigot for each campsite.

The river access is only available down the steep incline below the main camp sites. You go to the very far end of the driveway then it curves right, then you go down the hill. There are not many accessible areas to get to the river to wade or fish. We went here b/c the fishing was supposed to be excellent but we didn't catch hardly anything, just some baby bream which we threw back of course but it was very disappointing as we drove almost 2 hours to get there just to be disappointed. We planned to stay at least 2 days but we left the next day.

Other bad points about the resort when we visited, it was difficult to find the correct road to turn onto. We had to circle back around b/c I missed the road turnoff. We were not aware that there was road construction going on in that area of the freeway so we ended up having to circle back around to get back on the freeway (just so ya know, the next exit to get back onto the freeway was about a mile back the other way). We figured out that we had to take the next exit down instead (we came from I-10) which put us at a turnaround further down so we had to drive maybe 2 miles back south then almost missed the road that time.

As for the park itself, the bathrooms are NOT user friendly in my opinion. They have the showers in the bathroom too but there's no shower door, just a curtain that you pull around you. The tile was missing in some places on the floor as well. There are literally NO hand rails in the shower, only around the toilet. That, to me, is a huge safety hazard. Additionally, there's absolutely NOwhere to put your toiletries for the shower. I had to put my soap, shampoo, etc on the top of the toilet which was curved & stood a chance of falling off onto the floor. There is, however, a narrow glass shelf over by the sink that you have to open the curtain & carefully tread across the floor to the sink to get what you need if you should use that instead during your shower so I'd strongly advise to bring a 'shower caddy' with you that you can set on the shower floor to have things within reach just in case you need it.

There's also no towel rack or any place to hang your towel on. I had to pile my clothes & towel on the toilet seat...luckily the toilet had a seat! There was a portable bench there but it was dirty & I wasn't about to use it as I wasn't sure what the brown stains were that were on top of the bench. I'm near-sighted so I can't see a thing w/o my eyeglasses so trying to walk across a blurry, slippery tile floor w/o slipping was somewhat a hugh effort as the shower floor also kinda sloped around the shower area so it was difficult to walk out of the stall w/o a hand rail. I also have extremely bad knees so slippery floors are NOT my friend! Especially since there were NO handrails in the shower, and yes, I was wearing flip flops just so ya know. ;)

We also had no trash barrels so we luckily had bags w/us for trash & had to throw the trash in the dumpster that was next to the office at the front of the property....very inconvenient. We just waited & dumped it all in one trip...on our way out!

Someone drove around later that evening during our stay & greeted everyone individually & I'm assuming he was the owner or manager, he asked us how we're liking the park & I told him about my concerns for the bathroom. He kinda just brushed it off laughingly & said that yeah they know but they're planning to upgrade the bathhouse so I'm hoping that the bathhouse stalls have improved. He didn't seem to take my concerns seriously.

Now, granted, the gentleman said they were planning on redoing the bathrooms so they may have been updated already since our visit back in October. The park, overall, was very tidy & clean. We're going to try the park again at a different time of year to give the fishing & restrooms one more try. Hoping to be able to take horses next time to try out the trails. I'm hoping our next try will be more enjoyable as this first visit was not.

Room Tip: Camp sites down below the hill tend to be a bit more grasssy & soggy if it rains. They do, howev...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cecilschick
Charlie B, Owner at Alamo River RV Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2016

Thank you for all the time you took to review our park. I am the person you spoke to and we have indeed redone the showers. Sorry you thought I "brushed it off laughingly" but maybe I was thinking of the upcoming expense that we had coming ($8,000.00) The tile had been put in when the building was finished and now I am proud to say it has been completely redone.
The showers were built in that manner for a purpose, they serve as severe weather shelters, the 4 showers and the laundry. With 6" steel beams sunk 6' in the ground in concrete with 3/4" plywood on the out side and inside, the building is supposed to remain intact during a force 4 tornado. We rarely get tornado's here in this part of Texas but to my knowledge, we are the only park with these shelters. Your RV might not be there after but we feel the guests will be safe.

In addition they are called "family" showers because many times, in the parks I have been to, the showers resemble the ones I used 55 years ago in the military. Many moms and dads do not want their children to go into a facility like that so it allows a whole family to use one shower and have a degree of security that is just not possible in most parks. Hope you understand, and since they are all ADA compliant, a person in a wheel chair has no obstacles to avoid while in the shower. The facilities are cleaned several times daily and are washed with soapy bleach water so the ADA stool in the shower I can assure you was hygienic.
Sorry you did not understand the garbage program. At Alamo River we offer "concierge" garbage service. By placing the bag in front of your RV, we come and pick it up for you, just another little service we provide.

At the present time, 2016, we are in the process to upgrade the signs out on IH 35. Most of the time folks travel with a GPS and have no problems but since we are not right on the freeway (makes it more "City Close and County Quiet" some times getting to our front door can be daunting. Glad you were able to find us and hope you will come back and visit again and please introduce your self to me so we can see if we were able to cover your concerns.

There are newer reviews for Alamo River RV Resort

Reviewed March 22, 2014

This was a great place to camp! We had plenty of space in our 40 foot 5th wheel. The top of the park is the RV section, but we really enjoyed walking down to the river, wading, and walking around the trails. We thoroughly enjoyed petting the horses, feeding the cows, and the owner even brought over a chicken for our kids to pet. Speaking of the owner, it is obvious he takes pride in this place and runs it very well. He was very helpful and kind to our family. San Antonio was also fun for our family, with the nice weather, the riverwalk, and scootering the mission trail and the Medina River Natural Area paved trails. We recommend this place to other families!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to tell us how your stay went.
San Antonio is a real fun city and since we are so close to Lackland AFB were 800 cadets graduate each week from basic training we get lots of folks from all over the country visiting for the first time.

Glad you had a fun time.

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful RV Park with horse facilities close to San Antonio. Nice roomy pasture or paddock layout. Friendly staff, clean shower room and brand new laundry machines. The riding is limited to around two hours mostly woods with some open space. Easy and very safe riding. Camping and RV spaces well spaced. Stayed for month and looking forward to coming back

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Tastyfool

Glad you enjoyed your visit. I can tell you since you were here we have become a "Horse Motel" with two Cowboy Campsites down on the river bottom. Each site has it's own horse pen in the shade and we have 4 horse stalls with shade, feed bin and water. Nice sandy ground and we are working on putting in a horse wash rack next to the dog wash.

Please come on back and check out our improvements

Also consider these accommodations in or near Von Ormy
Far West Side
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Lackland AFB (San Antonio)
Days Inn San Antonio at Palo Alt...
#241 of 358 in San Antonio
Best Western Plus Lackland Hotel & Suites
Blazing Star Luxury RV Resort
Blazing Star Luxury RV Resort
#5 of 24 in San Antonio
La Quinta Inn San Antonio Lackland

Been to Alamo River RV Resort? Share your experiences!