“Home away from Home”

Hilton Garden Inn Victoria
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Victoria
“Home away from Home”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

It's only been open for 3 weeks but what a nice Hotel. Rooms, Service, Pool, Bar, Restaraunt and Staff are outstanding.
We always stay in Victoria between Ft Worth and Port A. We have found our new over night stay. Highly Recommend. 5 Star.

• Stayed July 2013
Brian D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Victoria, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
We appreciate your great comments about our hotel and staff. We definitely strive to make everyone's stay outstanding. We hope that we can serve you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I really want to give this motel a better rating than I'm giving it, but the truth of the matter is it's a new property that has to work out some kinks.

We were in Victoria for a death in the family and chose to stay here over the Fairfield Inn where I would normally stay (Marriott Status) because we heard it was new. This property will have a lot going for it once they are ready. The lobby, bar and breakfast area is very nice. While they don't have a free breakfast I would rather pay the $7.99 and get the quality they are trying to deliver than a cheap free meal.

We checked into one of their 1BR Suites on a Monday night and noticed a few things wrong immediately.

1. The half bath had no towels in it
2. The refrigerator was unplugged

After unpacking the group, one of our children noticed some small ants in the bathroom and we just killed them and moved on. Then we noticed some more in the other restroom and it progressively got worse from there. However, we didn't notice any by the bedding. I went downstairs and asked the night manager to make a note to have the room thoroughly cleaned the next day and they assured me they would address the ant issue. She said it was the first she had heard of it.

We got back to the hotel late on Tuesday afternoon and went for a swim and then changed for dinner. At dinner, my son started complaining about being bitten and he literally had ants in his pants at dinner and while we all had a good laugh about it, it's truly unacceptable.

When we got back to the hotel I asked the same manager if they had done anything about it and she fumbled around with some paperwork. She then had someone more senior come out who could not have been any nicer. She acknowledged the problem and said it was known (opposite of what I was told the night before). She said the hotel is new and they have had some bug issues since it's so new and essentially in an old field.

She went up to the room and confirmed there were a lot of ants and arranged for us to pack up all of our stuff and move to another room. She also told me some teenagers had a big pizza party up there the weekend prior and that might be part of the problem.

They knew about this issue before we arrived, they acted like they didn't know about it when I inquired the first night and only came clean because one of the managers was more honest with me. My family is inconvenienced, I have to tip the person that helped us move, my wife, kids and I are all hauling our gear around at 10:30 at night and then...we have to remake the pull out so we can go to bed. This room was also short on towels and linens for the pullout.

I understand it's a new motel and I could have taken most of this without making any comment other than the ants, but here is where they dropped the ball. After all of the hassle, they didn't even make a gesture and it's not my style to ask. They could have bought us breakfast, sent up a bottle of wine, paid for my room for one night or even a note from the GM the next morning. However, they chose to completely ignore it.

No 3, 4 or 5 star hotel would let this happen and a guest leave like this.

The Good
Attitude
New
Pool

The Bad
Not tested
Untrained mgmt team
Insects in the room

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jcarlis
Brian D, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Victoria, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
We apologize for inconvenience you encountered while staying with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Victoria. We have implimented all precautionary measures so this does not happen again in the future. We appreciate your loyality and feedback and hope that we can serve you again in the future.