“Long waits, poor service, underpaid staff, wrong orders”

The Pump House Riverside Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #1 of 178 Restaurants in Victoria
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The PumpHouse Riverside Restaurant and Bar was Named Victoria's Best of the Best Overall restaurant by readers of The Victoria Advocate in their annual Best of the Best contest. All menu items are cooked to order from the freshest ingredients available. The executive chef was classically trained at the Connecticut Culinary institute and takes great pride in the dishes he prepares. The full bar offers an extensive wine list along with all of your favorite cocktails. Reservations are recommended, especially on Friday or Saturday nights or for Sunday brunch. Large groups can be accommodated with advance notice. The venue was actually the old water pumping station for the city of Victoria. Guests can choose from seating in one of the historic rooms or outside on the banks of the Guadalupe River. Live music is offered on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and during Sunday brunch.
“Long waits, poor service, underpaid staff, wrong orders”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went on 2 successive nights. The first night the waitress never served any water. The glasses were empty & we were thirsty but we couldn't get water or tea.

It took forever to get anyone's attention.

The next night we were invited there by another person. We had to wait forever for the food and when it arrived it was ice cold. The waitress also didn't bring mustard with the burger. When taking the order I was interrupted as I was placing the order with the waitress asking if I wanted cheese on the burger. If I wanted cheese I would've ordered a cheeseburger. I know all management forces wait staff to sell cheese because they want to get more money out of you, even if their cheese isn't even real cheese. Had the waitress just paid attention TO THE CUSTOMER the order would've been listened to and probably turned out ok. But greedy management only think about forcing wait staff to sell cheese.(This isn't unique to this restaurant. All of them push cheese because it's almost all profit to sell a piece of cheese you can read through.

So when I got my burger it was ice cold, the fries were cold, it didn't have mustard and I had to ask twice for ketchup.

And like the night before our glasses remained mostly empty. It's sad that the staff can't refill glasses, we had to wait forever and all of our food was ice cold.

We went to eat but we were put near a band that played so loud we couldn't hear each other. If we wanted to go to a nightclub we would've done that. But we were at a restaurant so we would have liked to have heard each other. Obviously the wait staff didn't listen to us.

As we tried to leave we had to wait forever to pay because the management only has two pay stations.

The owner/management is to blame for almost all of the problems. They are underpaying and overworking people, abusing their wait staff. I don't do business with predators but it's obvious tge owners don't care how hard they work people and pay them pennies.

It's not rocket science

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank DinerNoMore

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Our dinner at the Pump House was amazing. It is by far the most upscale and delicious food available in the area. However, it was a great meal no matter where you are. I had a ribeye that was perfectly cooked. My husband had a very tender filet. We shared asparagus, mashed potatoes, and mushrooms as sides. They were all good, but the mushrooms were the standout. For dessert we had a selection of dessert shots, or mini dessert. Every one of them was delicious. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. The bar was well rum and had a full compliment of liquor and a nice wine list. I would call ahead for a reservation, especially on the weekends.

Visited May 2013
Houston, Texas
“a delightful surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

beautiful location; friendly and attentive staff; excellent ambiance. We were there for a late lunch, choices were wide and varied--something for every taste--and reasonably priced. For lunch it was white table cloth/business casual. Met a friend (Victoria was half way) for an antiquing excursion and we have decided to do this again just as an excuse to come back to The Pump House! Treat yourself if you are in the area.

• Visited April 2013
“Nice Sunday brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I had brunch here on the deck overlooking the river. The food was very good for Victoria and very reasonably priced. The atmosphere was fantastic and they had live music, which was also very nice. This is truly a gem in Victoria and I will definitely return on my next visit to the area.

• Visited April 2013
Arlington, Texas
“Beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I ate on the deck outside of the Pump House and the atmosphere was amazing. I ordered the Ahi Tuna, and it was cooked to perfection. The wasabi cake was unique and interesting. I ordered a side salad and it was pretty plain. I also ordered some cheesecake and it was good.

Visited April 2013