“Nice atmosphere, good food!”

The Pump House Riverside Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #1 of 181 Restaurants in Victoria
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The PumpHouse Riverside Restaurant and Bar was Named Victoria's Best of the Best Overall restaurant by readers of The Victoria Advocate in their annual Best of the Best contest. All menu items are cooked to order from the freshest ingredients available. The executive chef was classically trained at the Connecticut Culinary institute and takes great pride in the dishes he prepares. The full bar offers an extensive wine list along with all of your favorite cocktails. Reservations are recommended, especially on Friday or Saturday nights or for Sunday brunch. Large groups can be accommodated with advance notice. The venue was actually the old water pumping station for the city of Victoria. Guests can choose from seating in one of the historic rooms or outside on the banks of the Guadalupe River. Live music is offered on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and during Sunday brunch.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Was impressed with the atmosphere (for Victoria). Nice music, lighting and decor. It was too cold to be outside, but the outdoor seating and all of the landscaping was nice. Service was friendly and prompt (course, we were 1 of 3 tables). Hostess was not the best. Good happy hour prices on beer. Had the fried mac 'n' cheese (decent) and portabello mushroom/swiss burgers with sweet potatoe fries (delicious). Prices are a bit high, but will return.

1  Thank djz032070

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Took a little drive today to Victoria, TX. It is only about an hour from house and it is not our normal city to visit. Wanted to eat somewhere different. I get really tired of the chain restaurants. So looked up on Trip advisor and saw the great ratings. So talked my hubby into trying it. I am so glad we did.

Arrived around 2:30 on a Saturday afternoon. It was not packed and we were seated right away. They seem to have a steady crowd. You have an option of sitting outside on the patio that over looks the river or inside. As it was warm this particular day we decided inside. Because of the building it does tend to get a little loud. Sounds echo off the concrete walls. But not enough for me never to visit again.

We started out with the Shrimp Kisses. A little overpriced, but very tasty. They are shrimp wrapped in bacaon with a slice of jalapeno. It was $12.95 for 6. But the shrimp was very fresh and that is always important. Hubby and I both had burgers. The lunch menu is limited to sandwiches and burgers. There were some salads. We even considered just ordering appetizers for our meal. The burgers were very tasty. The meat was a very good quality. Hubby choose the fries and I decided on the homemade Kettle chips. The Kettle chips were great. A little salty, but very good. It was a nice change from the standard fries.

The location is a little bit off the beaten path, but so well worth the effort to find it. I can't wait until my next visit!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

An interesting location (actually an old pump house!) on the Guadalupe at the edge of the park (Zoo just down the road). If weather permits, sit outside on the patio.

Very interesting menu. All dishes have a twist to them (fried spinach seems popular... and good) and the appetizers should be tried (shrimp shooters, fried mac and cheese). Moderately pricey.

The staff is friendly (great bartender) and they often have live entertainment on the patio.

I'd rate them excellent, but on my last visit my snapper Vera Cruz somehow turned into chicken. Still, I'll go back.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed the food and experience of the pump house. We sat outside because the indoor seating seemed to be loud I think due to the openness of the room. The service was a little slow at times but because of the good food and great ambiance we didn't mind. After going the first night we went back again before we left town. Met the owner who was helping the staff to clean tables and talked to her for a while. It's nice to see the upper management helping out. Lots of history behind The Pump house.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Wow. The Pump House is located in a historic building and has been re-done to keep some history yet is modern and really nice. The patio over-looking the river is a great place for drinks. The food was absolutely fantastic and I normall avoid restaurants due to bland and poor preparation. This place is just out of this world. The bruschetta appetizer with steak is one of the best ever and my swordfish was great.